The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Turbocharge Understanding Guide - How a Turbo Works - Boost Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskanDsm

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
Turbocharge Understanding Guide - How a Turbo Works - Boost Basics
Understanding How Turbos Work And How To Choose The Right One For Your Car
By Phi Phung (superstreet online)
Photography by Courtesy Of Allied Signal Turbocharging Systems

When it comes to modifying small displacement engines - and believe us, we've been doing this a long time - our favorite weapon of choice is the modern marvel we call the turbocharger. Although the supercharger has always been a popular alternative, the turbo is still king when it comes to tuning cars, and it almost seems cooler and sexier for some reason. For example: we've seen generations of OE manufacturers integrating it into some of the most famous and beloved cars to ever hit the streets, like the Supra, MR2 or Silvia - and today, turbocharged factory engines continue to delight enthusiasts with the Evo X, STI and Hyundai's new Genesis coupe. But chances are that if you're reading this, you probably don't have a car that came turbocharged stock and you wouldn't be happy settling with anything stock. We all want more power, right? That means it's time to turbocharge that ish. But where do you start? With all the choices in selecting a turbo for your engine and driving style, figuring out which turbo is right can be a task unto its own. And that's why we're here; we're your shoulder to lean on - just look over your shoulders, honey!

Before we dive into turbocharging, let's go over a few basics. In its simplest form, your engine is a huge pump and it's limited to the amount of air that it can breathe on its own. A turbocharger increases the amount of air that an engine can aspirate (inhale) by force-feeding it air. Hence the term "forced induction". Or as we like to say: more air and fuel equals more power. But like your girlfriend's taste in handbags, it's never that easy.

How Does Turbocharging Work?
We know what you're thinking, "Thanks Captain Obvious; we know turbos make power," but how does that snail do it? The engine produces exhaust gases that flow through the turbo manifold, which are then funneled into the turbocharger's turbine inlet. The movement of these gases cause the turbine wheel to spool (spin) as they pass through on their way out your muffler. Since the turbine wheel is directly connected to the compressor wheel, as the turbine wheel spools faster, the compressor wheel will start to draw air in. At the same time it's drawing in, it's also pushing air out, similar to how a blow dryer operates. The volume of air increases to a point that it becomes compressed and charged (boost). But this air is usually heated as the turbocharger gets its energy from the spent exhaust gases. To cool down the air charge, the air passes through an intercooler to keep intake air temps in check (the cooler the temperature, the more efficient the motor becomes). This air then makes its way into the engine, forcing itself into the combustion chamber. This extra amount of air increases the volumetric efficiency of the engine, the byproduct of which is increased power. The spent gasses are then pushed out to reciprocate the process.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

(How a turbo works: Exhaust/Air flow)

How Do I Choose the Right Turbo?
With so many choices in turbos out there to choose from, figuring out which turbo is right for you can be complicated. Lucky for you there are a few manufacturers who specialize in the art of turbocharging, like our special guests today: HKS, GReddy, Garrett and Turbonetics. Before you go out and spend your hard-earned cash, we recommend sitting down and building a game plan for your engine. What kind of power do you want to make and is it a realistic figure? Is your engine built or is it still stock? These are all important factors to think about because you have to consider how much power your engine can handle. Also, what kind of driving will you be doing? Is your project going to see any time on a track? Daily driver? This will help you figure out the target range of power that's right for you. Remember to also be honest with yourself at this stage; 500WHP isn't very realistic if you're drifting your S14 on the weekends or are going to sit in traffic on the daily with your Evo.

(How a turbo works: Ball Bearing turbo cut out view)

The basic rule of thumb with turbos is that smaller compressor wheels work well at lower pressures whereas a larger compressor wheel reaches peak efficiency at a higher level of boost pressure. This is due to the speed the shaft spins at. A slower shaft speed creates a denser air charge and improved efficiency in the turbo. In simpler terms, a car that isn't raced often will see greater benefit from a smaller sized turbo that responds better than a larger turbo that only performs well on the top end due to turbo lag (less efficient). The experts agree that once you figure out what kind of horsepower goal you want, you can use a compressor map to figure out which compressor will be the right size for the efficiency of your setup.

Ball Bearing Vs Standard Bearing Turbos
Just like your crank, you turbo rides on a thin film of oil sandwiched between a set of bearings, unlike your crank though, the turbine shaft sees upwards of 100,000 RPM. Therefore, any reduction in friction results in a huge increase in efficiency. The introduction of ball bearing center cartridges has given way to smaller frame turbos with capabilities of midsized standard bearing counter parts. Instead of a strip of metal, the ball bearing center cartridge design allows the shaft to rotate along tiny precision round bearings, similar to the ones found in skateboard wheels. This way, you can choose a large compressor wheel that can be matched to a disproportionately smaller turbine wheel.

(How a turbo works: Standard bearing turbine shaft)

The second area of interest, when it comes to bearings, is the thrust bearing. Under a high load environment, the exhaust pressure is pushing down on the turbine wheel. The shaft needs something to withstand this pressure. In a ball bearing application, the thrust load is virtually eliminated because of the tight clearance between the shaft and ball bearings. Ball bearing turbos are especially beneficial in an application that requires high response (ie: circuit racing, autocross, drifting and street) because the increase in peak effective boost is not as apparent as the spool up rate. This means that you can reach peak boost faster, increasing the amount of mid range power realized.

If you're thinking that it sounds too good to be true, you may be right. The biggest discerning factor between standard bearing and ball bearing turbos is cost. This is where the rule of "you want to play, then you got to pay" comes in. Expect to pay double (or more) for the price of a ball bearing turbo. On top of that, ball bearing cartridges are so expensive to service, you just don't. You either have to buy a new center assembly or buy a new turbo. As you can see, there's a give and take to everything.Whether you go with a standard type or a ball bearing turbo, maintenance is key having a long lasting turbo. Contrary to popular opinion, it is critical to run a filter on the turbo. At 100,000+RPM, any debris can wreak havoc on the wheels, whether it's on the turbine or compressor side. Rocks, dust, gasket material, pieces of a catalytic converter - they all mean bad news. Properly plumb your pipes and keep a filter on the turbo at all times. Check how much play the center shaft is getting (forwards to backwards, side to side and top to bottom); this will ensure that your turbo is working at its designed efficiency.

Trim Sizing and A/R
When you browse through the various turbo manufacturer's catalogs and websites, they usually list the trim size and A/R. According to Honeywell Garrett, trim is based upon the relationship between the inducer (the area where air/gas enters the turbo) and exducer (the area where air/gas exits the turbo). To be more precise, it's a ratio of area. Generally speaking, the larger the trim size (other things held constant), the more air a turbo can move.

(how a turbo works: Compressor and Turbine)

A/R is a geometric characteristic of the compressor or turbine housing. Although it can be applied to both compressor and turbine housings, usually we only concentrate on the A/R of the turbine side, as it can drastically change the spool rate. The A refers to the cross sectional area of the inlet divided by R, the radius from the turbo centerline to the center point of the area A. Since this area is where exhaust gas travels through to spool the turbo, a small area will increase the response and spool rate. At the same time, it will top out the efficiency limit of the turbo rather quickly. A larger A/R will take longer to spool (boost lag) but will be able to flow more air. In short, a small A/R has high response with limited power; a big A/R will result in slow response but with bigger power.

Turbo Breakdown
To help you in your quest of turbocharging your engine, we've gathered some of the most popular turbos together for a jam session. And whether it's streetable power or full-on drag racing you're seeking, we'll hope you'll find these suggestions as a launching point to your goal.

Selecting Your Turbocharger
For all you math geeks out there, HKS has provided us with a set of functions to mathematically determine which turbo size is best suited for your application and how much power you can expect out it. If you only excelled in home ec or PE, just follow the technical illustrations next to the corresponding pictures. Something to keep in mind: these figures do not take into account atmospheric conditions or the effects of intercooling.

1) Calculate the airflow for the engine in its naturally-aspirated form. Use the following formula for standard atmospheric pressure: CFM=(CID x RPM x 0.5 x Ev) / 1728. (CID: cubic inch displacement; EV: volumetric efficiency (0.80-0.90); CFM: air flow rate)

2) Knowing your desired boost level, calculate the airflow rate under boost by multiplying the pressure ratio by airflow rate (na - cfm). Calculate the pressure ratio: (14.7+Boost/14.7) - then calculate the air flow rate under boost by multiplying the pressure ratio by your air flow rate from step one: CFM x pressure ratio (for twin turbo applications divide this number by 2).

3) To covert CFM to lbs/min, use (CFM x 0.076 = lbs/min).

4) Use compressor maps to find the turbo best suited to the air flow rate and pressure
ratios you have attained. You can get calculate a rough estimate on Engine horsepower using the following formulas:Lower value: 0.052 x CID x (psi boost + 14.7) = bhpHigher value: 0.077 x CID x (psi boost + 14.7) = bhp

Small Frame Turbos:
Characteristics: High response; good for dual purpose use, such as street and track (drift/circuit; street class drag racing); ideal for smaller 4-cylinder engines; est. 200-400hp

Mid-Frame Turbos:
Characteristics: Slight lag; suited for heavy track use (drift - Pro class; circuit - Modified class; drag - Unlimited class); est. 400-600hp

Large Frame Turbos:
Characteristics: Lots of lag but capable of pushing huge power; suited for larger displacement engines and high rpm power (think 2JZ-GTE or RB26DETT); perfect for drag racing, dyno bench racing or tractor pulling; est. 850+hp

For more pictures from the article and turbo models not mentioned here, please visit:
Turbocharge Understanding Guide - Forced Induction - Super Street Magazine

Note**
I did not write this article. I found this online at superstreet. I am posting for informational purposes. I don't know if all of the equations and mathematics are correct but would assume so.

Last edited by a moderator:
A pretty good write up, except for one thing. The power output increase from turbocharging comes from increaseng the mass flow rate of air through the engine, not from the turbocharger increasing volumetric efficiency (it may increase the VE of an engine due to enhanced cylinder scavenging, but the effects to my knowledge and not "large." ) Volumetric efficiency has to deal with how effectively the cylinder can fill itself with a fresh air charge every intake stroke, on a volume basis. Turbochargers increase power by increasing the MASS flow rate of air through the engine (boost pressure increases density). The more air that flows through the engine, means that more fuel can be burned, which means more power can be made.

Bill

Last edited:
Their words, not mine. Anyone who knows the concepts of combustion knows that the more air you can move into the chamber with the equivalent mixture of fuel creates a larger combustion force in the cylinder. I don't exactly know that they mean by the "volumetric efficiency of the engine" but I understand the basic concept air + fuel + spark = boom, I said before.

Err, but turbos pressurize the intake charge increasing the mass of air per unit volume. I'm not sure how you're rationalizing they don't increase volumetric efficiency.

Their words, not mine. Anyone who knows the concepts of combustion knows that the more air you can move into the chamber with the equivalent mixture of fuel creates a larger "explosion" in the chamber. I don't exactly know that they mean by the "volumetric efficiency of the engine" but I understand the basic concept air + fuel + spark = boom, I said before.

Yeah, sorry if I came off as a jerk, I was just correcting this common missconception. Volumetric efficiency of the engine has to deal with how efficient the engine is at filling itself with a new charge air volume every two rotations. For a 2 liter engine, if the engine ingested 2 liters of air every 2 rotations the volumetric efficiency would be 100%, if it ingested 1.9 liters it would be 95% efficient, etc. Also, not to pick your post apart but you actually don't want the "boom." That would be knock, the fuel in the combustion chamber does not explode, its burns very quickly, creating a high cylinder pressure which pushes the piston down and creates the torque at the crankshaft.

Bill

Err, but turbos pressurize the intake charge increasing the mass of air per unit volume. I'm not sure how you're rationalizing they don't increase volumetric efficiency.

Because volumetric efficiency of an engine has nothing to do with the increase in charge air density that comes from the turbocharger.

Bill

I was simply saying that I understand the concept of adding more air and fuel with spark causes more HP during the combustion. I didn't understand the meaning of volumetric efficiency until 123bobby123 explained it.

123bobby123 said:
Also, not to pick your post apart but you actually don't want the "boom." That would be knock, the fuel in the combustion chamber does not explode, its burns very quickly, creating a high cylinder pressure which pushes the piston down and creates the torque at the crankshaft.

I already understood this. I was just simply using boom as a term for the combustion phase of the cycle. You are right in the fact that no one would want to have any kind of knock. I do understand now what the volumetric efficiency means. Thanks.

Because volumetric efficiency of an engine has nothing to do with the increase in charge air density that comes from the turbocharger.

Bill

I'm not a mech e (just an EE) and can only reference the formulas I'm finding online. The formula I'm looking at is:
VE = (3456 x CFM)/(RPM x CID)

Between a turbocharged car and a n/a car at an rpm in the correct rpm for the turbo the CFM will always be greater on the turbocharged car, and thus so will the VE. So I don't know what you're basing your conclusions on but what I'm finding shows you're incorrect. The charge air density relative to the static maximum displacement is effectively what's being increased, so what I said isn't incorrect just a different way of stating the above equation.

I'm not a mech e (just an EE) and can only reference the formulas I'm finding online. The formula I'm looking at is:
VE = (3456 x CFM)/(RPM x CID)

Between a turbocharged car and a n/a car at an rpm in the correct rpm for the turbo the CFM will always be greater on the turbocharged car, and thus so will the VE. So I don't know what you're basing your conclusions on but what I'm finding shows you're incorrect. The charge air density relative to the static maximum displacement is effectively what's being increased, so what I said isn't incorrect just a different way of stating the above equation.

Ok, first off think about what you are saying. The amount of power a car makes is depedent on how much fuel is burned, which is dependent on how much air the engine can ingest from a mass flow stand point.

Mass flowrate = air density (ambient)*density ratio*volumetric flowrate

On N/A engines the density ratio is equal to 1. On turbocharged engines the density ratio is equal to something greater then 1.

Density Ratio = compressor pressure ratio * (T_in, absolute/T_out, absolute)

The only part of the mass flowrate equation that the turbocharger effects is the density ratio portion. A turbocharger increases charge air density and the density ratio, not the volumetric flowrate. Density has nothing to do with volume, so it can not effect the volumetric flowrate or volumetric efficiency.

I think I know why you are becoming confused. You have seen compressor maps based on volumetric flow because that is how lots of MHI maps are. A compressor map should really be made in terms of mass flow rate. Having a compressor map in terms of volumetric flowrate is assinine in MY opinion (yes I understand why they do it), and the following is the reason why.

A turbo engine at a certain operating point is ingesting "xyz" amount of mass flow of air. "x" is the density ratio, "y" is ambient density, and "z" is the volumetric flowrate of the engine. So to my understanding, MHI takes this and plots this on there compressor maps in terms of compressor inlet volumetric flow rate, NOT engine volumetric flowrate. Meaning, that since the mass flowrate of air through the compressor is constant at "xyz", they now divide by just "y" to say that volumetric flowrate is "xz." "xz" is the volumetric flowrate at the COMPRESSOR inlet, but NOT the volumetric flowrate of the engine. The volumetric flowrate of the engine never changed, it is still "z."

If this still does not make sense, please reference the following webpage as it is an excellent source for MHI turbo information:

Stealth 316 - Turbocharger Compressor Flow Maps

Working in the turbocharger group at a major engine manufacture, I have only ever used compressor maps based on mass flow rate because they for lack of a better term make more sense to ME.

Bill

Why do you not consider the turbo as part of the engine system when calculating volumetric efficiency? When speaking about volumes what relevance would there be if there was no relative density? I ask this because of the below.

Here's a more extrapolated version of the formula with a reference (though I haven't personally verified the reference! so it could be crap) that shows the real calculation:
VE=(number of rev/cycle*mass flowrate of air) / (air density*Displacement Volume*Engine Speed)

Where
Rev/cycle = 2 for 4-stroke
Air density evaluated at atmospheric conditions outside the engine

Reference:
Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine Second Edition, Pulkrabek, Willard W. pg. 69

The CFM measurement I referenced in the earlier equation is a simplification. According to the above formula it is relative to ambient air density, so if you insist on measuring the mass flow rate between the turbo and engine you have to adjust the calculation to what would be volumetric flow rate at ambient for the given mass flow rate. Using that cfm, which as you stated would just be exactly what's at the inlet of the turbo, you can calculate the VE and see you are in fact increasing it relative to the n/a engine (assuming you didn't pick a crappy turbo and the wrong rpm to look at).

:confused: Can't this just be a sticky minus the posts?

Why do you not consider the turbo as part of the engine system when calculating volumetric efficiency? When speaking about volumes what relevance would there be if there was no relative density? I ask this because of the below.

Here's a more extrapolated version of the formula with a reference (though I haven't personally verified the reference! so it could be crap) that shows the real calculation:
VE=(number of rev/cycle*mass flowrate of air) / (air density*Displacement Volume*Engine Speed)

Where
Rev/cycle = 2 for 4-stroke
Air density evaluated at atmospheric conditions outside the engine

Reference:
Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine Second Edition, Pulkrabek, Willard W. pg. 69

The CFM measurement I referenced in the earlier equation is a simplification. According to the above formula it is relative to ambient air density, so if you insist on measuring the mass flow rate between the turbo and engine you have to adjust the calculation to what would be volumetric flow rate at ambient for the given mass flow rate. Using that cfm, which as you stated would just be exactly what's at the inlet of the turbo, you can calculate the VE and see you are in fact increasing it relative to the n/a engine (assuming you didn't pick a crappy turbo and the wrong rpm to look at).

The only answer I can give you at the current time just goes back to my discussion standpoint. A turbocharger can not increase the volumetric efficiency of an engine (except for the small increase in efficiency due to cross cylinder scavenging) because it effects the mass flowrate of the engine, not its volumemetric flowrate.

So based on your post it would be possible to get a VE greater then 100%? This is often stated because the calculation is done out like you have described. Say someone has stated that there VE is 180%, and the density ratio they are operating at is 2.0 to 1. Basically they have stated that they have taken there engine which has a volumetric efficiency of 90% in N/A and doubled it.

This to me is rubish. How is it possible to get a volumetric efficeincy great then 100%? How is it possible to stick more then 2 liters of air into a 2 liter engine on a volume basis (not taking into account combustion chamber volumes, and volumes from clearance between the piston and cylinder head while the piston is at the top of its stroke). I am very familiar with engine intake and exhaust manifold harmonic tuning and I know that F1 teams have stated that they have VE over 100% but, what they really have is a engine that might be running a very high volumetic efficiency and has devloped a significant density ratio due to the pressure waves being so strong at there operating point. This density ratio comes into effect in the calculation because they base there volume flow measurements off of mass flow measurements at ambient pressure and temperature, and not the actual pressure and temperature seen right at the entrance to the combustion chamber.

Take a look at the following ECM tuning wiki:

sd101 [ECMTuning - wiki]

It is how to setup a VE table for an engine, note that at no point is the VE greater then 100%.

Also, I am not saying to not take the turbo into account when calculating engine VE. The turbo must be taken into account when talking about VE because it adds restrctions on the inlet and exhaust, as well as effects cylinder scavenging. But its effect on VE is no where near the order of magnitude that most people say it is. Most people say that the turbo increases the VE of the engine by a factor equal to the density ratio, which I have tried to prove is incorrect.

This I believe was the main spirit behing my original post. Many people miss understand the power gains that come from the turbocharger being due to a huge increase in volumetric efficiency, this is not true. This increase in power comes from the fact that a turbocharger increases the mass flow rate of air through an engine (almost solely due to density ratio increase).

I apologize if my post seemed a bit scatter brained, I am pretty tired.

Bill

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back