The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Anyone know how well this HKS kit works?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's hard to say. I mean he doesn't really give any specifics about the turbo. He says it's a T4 manifold. So that could be a T4 turbo. If thats the case it's going to lag really bad. If you are going for a track car cool but if not, I probably wouldn't have a straight T4 as a daily driver. Try to see if you can find out some more info about it. I'm sure you can find a better setup for the money. You are basically paying high dollar because it's HKS.

There has been plenty of 1g's that have gone 11.6 or quicker, 119+mph in full weight cars that have spent much less$ on bolt on turbos with a 2g manifold, internal gate, and cheap tubular 02 housings while still having full spool at 4200rpm or less(wont happen with a t4) IMHO, its a waste of money. All you would be paying for is the prestige of saying you have the hks kit and most true dsm'ers will then tell you you wasted your money. Then, they would rape you from stop light to stop light with their bolt on 50 trims.

92awddsm said:
There has been plenty of 1g's that have gone 11.6 or quicker, 119+mph in full weight cars that have spent much less$ on bolt on turbos with a 2g manifold, internal gate, and cheap tubular 02 housings while still having full spool at 4200rpm or less(wont happen with a t4) IMHO, its a waste of money. All you would be paying for is the prestige of saying you have the hks kit and most true dsm'ers will then tell you you wasted your money. Then, they would rape you from stop light to stop light with their bolt on 50 trims.

Agreed. HKS is one of those companies that has an inflated price due to the name brand.

i agree with the above two statments. i read this somewhere, so here i go:

"you can have the most exotic turbo in the world, but if you don't have the proper supporting mods/fuel requirements/engine management you won't be going too far too fast."

something like that... i would also add that if you're not "using" the turbo properly (aka like having a setup that demands you litterally have to stop for gas every day because you use your ride for everyday commutes) it is not very practical. well, of course its not practical, but do you see my point?

The manifold alone will cost around $800 new from ongreen even it is a copy and the turbo is a 60 trim with a/r .50 comp. housing. Turbine housing is only a/r .48 T4 and the turbine wheel is slightly bigger than stage five with 11 blade maybe an O trim. It spool like a TDO5H20G with extra power at the top. The turbo is very streetable for me and the wastegate is dump back into the downpipe (O2) but the size is not that big only around 2.5". It is a plug and play for VR4, if using in DSM it will be a lot of clearence for the fan....

I get the same kit secondhand around $1200 and sell ereything else except the manifold. The spool are a lot better than using DNP which crack on me before.

Coup D E'Tat said:
Aren't you from Tampa? Plug, maybe?

Correct. The turbo is a 46 trim-50A/R on the cold side and O/trim-.40A/R on the hotside. It was designed with a very small hotside and very free flowing wastegate. The description of jo1 was what I was looking for. It looks to me like it would outperform a 20g just a tad. I did talked to a guy years ago that had one and upgraded the compressor wheel to a 50trim. He dynoed a fast spooling 450whp on 93octane with the setup. This setup came out at time when a 20g was huge turbo. Most did not have the supporting mods and knowledge to make the setup work. Then a few years later the manifold was used by shep, buschur, and extreme to go really fast with really large turbos. After that the manifold was praised as the best thing going, so the turbo kit was always scrapped in favor of using some huge turbo on the mani in hopes of immatating the experts. The kit as sold by HKS never recieved any significant use as good setup for the power level it was designed for. There where only 100 made. So it makes this setup a very desirable collectors peice that may actually work pretty decent for what it is.

I'm very sure that the kit i got is a 60 trim, the inducer is 2.290" and the exducer 2.950". The kit i got is ordered from japan by the former owner. But one of my friend also got this kit with a 57 trim and the same hot side as mine.

Right now the turbo (60 trim) being used by a GSR engine (4G93t) 1.8l dohc, the spool is more than less identical with TDO5H20G and the car got 118mph 1/4mile when tested using gtech boosting around 1.5bar. With more boost and tunning maybe can get around 125mph 1/4mile.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back