The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Turbo timer

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s61doc

Probationary Member
Oct 5, 2019
Victoria, BC_Canada
Hello all, new here so bear with me. Just bought a '96 Talon TSI AWD Turbo last week for use as a daily driver and have a question, maybe two... LOL.

This thing has a turbo timer installed, but it doesn't power up. After reading through a bunch of the tech articles, I have come to the conclusion that I don't really need it anyway with my driving habits. That said, I have questions about removing it.

There is a a wire coming off the E-brake that I noticed when installing a new double din stereo, it goes off in the direction of the steering column, under which is where the turbo timer is stashed. I'm assuming, without laying upside down in the footwell and tracing it all the way, that it is part of that system and can be removed. I gather from my reading that it is ground-seeking so no big deal, easy to get at and cut out of the circuit, and the other wires look pretty straightforward. What I don't understand, and maybe it has nothing to do with the timer, is the solenoid valve on the right inner fender well. It interrupts the line from the spool to the wastegate, but there is no manual controller in the line. What would be the point of that? Wouldn't that prevent the gate from opening when the solenoid valve is closed? Which would remove any boost control?

I've been a helicopter mechanic for 30+ years so I'm not mechanically challenged, but this isn't making sense, so I obviously am not completely understanding the operation of the turbo and wastegate. I'll be tracing where the wires go, when I get a chance, but I thought I'd ask here to try and straighten it out in my head.

That's why I joined after all!

Cheers, and happy Canadian Thanksgiving

Hi there!
You are correct that a turbo timer is unnecessary and can be removed. The wires can just carefully be removed. Perhaps the owner even used a quick connect harness for a removable install. The extra wire going to the e-brake likely was a safety/security feature. When the timer is active, the e-brake would have stopped the engine when it was released.

As far as the solenoid goes, it would be best to take a picture of what you're looking at for more help.

Last edited:
I "think" he is referring to a Boost Control Solenoid. I am not the 2g guy so I don't know where it is originally located. On my 1g's, it is on the firewall though, and it's the ONLY thing that interups the boost source between the turbo and the waste gate.
If that is what it is, you can take the solenoid out and run a hose from the boost source to the wastegate, that is how my 92 Talon is setup (it has very high wastegate pressure). If you wanted to turn up the boost you can reuse that Boost Control Solenoid or put a Manual Boost Control on it. I am "guessing", so if you get a chance to post a picture of that part, please do and we can get you sorted out! :thumb:

I "think" he is referring to a Boost Control Solenoid. I am not the 2g guy so I don't know where it is originally located. On my 1g's, it is on the firewall though, and it's the ONLY thing that interups the boost source between the turbo and the waste gate.
If that is what it is, you can take the solenoid out and run a hose from the boost source to the wastegate, that is how my 92 Talon is setup (it has very high wastegate pressure). If you wanted to turn up the boost you can reuse that Boost Control Solenoid or put a Manual Boost Control on it. I am "guessing", so if you get a chance to post a picture of that part, please do and we can get you sorted out! :thumb:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

There’s the pic, it’s definitely there to interrupt the wastegate sense line, one of those goes to the wastegate, the other to the spool. But if that is blocked won’t the turbo be controlled only by the wastegate spring? Maybe that’s what he wanted, I don’t know...

Yep, your car is running on gate pressure. Put a dedicated line from the boost source to the gate. That is a very nice Electonic Boost Controller so hang on to it. You can replace it witha simple "bleeder" valve that releases a little boost pressure to the gate if you need more boost than the wastegate will give you.
I use this simple device....
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/170714045513
Or this....
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183844851971
The electronic controller you have can be used with tuning software, if you upgrade, so hang on to it.
Marty

Yep, your car is running on gate pressure. Put a dedicated line from the boost source to the gate. That is a very nice Electonic Boost Controller so hang on to it. You can replace it witha simple "bleeder" valve that releases a little boost pressure to the gate if you need more boost than the wastegate will give you.
I use this simple device....
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/170714045513
Or this....
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183844851971
The electronic controller you have can be used with tuning software, if you upgrade, so hang on to it.
Marty

I’ll put it to use. Just picked up a MC to put in line, along with a boost gauge with actual numbers, the stock one is useless as many of you will already know. I’d like to run low boost for daily driving and be able to hit a switch and bump it up. I take it that this would require a wastegate with a lighter spring for the low (5 PSI or so?) daily driver mode, and the MC set higher (15-20?) to run through the solenoid valve when powered. Are there wastegates like that out there or do I have to mod mine? I don’t know what has been done to this car before I got it, so what’s a safe (no melted pistons etc.) max boost for a stock setup? An adjustable wastegate would be nice, if I have to make it myself I’ll pick up a spare and tinker.

Thanks for the info so far!

I’ll put it to use. Just picked up a MC to put in line, along with a boost gauge with actual numbers, the stock one is useless as many of you will already know. I’d like to run low boost for daily driving and be able to hit a switch and bump it up. I take it that this would require a wastegate with a lighter spring for the low (5 PSI or so?) daily driver mode, and the MC set higher (15-20?) to run through the solenoid valve when powered. Are there wastegates like that out there or do I have to mod mine? I don’t know what has been done to this car before I got it, so what’s a safe (no melted pistons etc.) max boost for a stock setup? An adjustable wastegate would be nice, if I have to make it myself I’ll pick up a spare and tinker.

Thanks for the info so far!

And when I said “MC” I meant “MBC”. When I have time and it’s not raining, I’ll be tracing the harness back from the EBC to see what is controlling it. Also need to work out how to move the shifter aft away from the stereo while the console is off...

Nope.
You can wire that controller to be active just as it is. One way it is on gate pressure and the other way can be orificed or ran thru a manual bleeder for more boost at the flip of a switch. ;) :shhh: :) :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back