1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Turbo problems?

Posted by haybale8, Jul 6, 2015

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. haybale8

haybale8 Probationary Member

Joined Jan 30, 2015
    Omaha, Nebraska
    So while driving my 95 TSi talon, it randomly shut off. Then when I try to restart it, it only starts for a few seconds then shuts back off. I was thinking it was the turbo, so I took it out and it isn't frozen.
    Does anyone know if it could still be the turbo or know what else could be wrong?

Street Build 636  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. Dsmkauai

Dsmkauai Proven Member

Joined Feb 20, 2010
    Kauai, Hawaii
    Did you do a boost leak test? Check over wires and connections? Does turbo have shaft play?

Drag Race Build 840  2

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

6K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    13.7 @ 101 · Galant VR-4

4K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    12.408 @ 112.930 · 2G DSM

2K  0

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. Schmegma

Schmegma Proven Member

Joined Nov 23, 2008
    arvada, Colorado
    does it have any problems idling? Check the relays, fuses first. Then I would check the alternator - pretty common failure. Wiring - make sure everything is good, tight - no corrosion anywhere. After that if the alt and connections / wiring are all good - check the fuel pump.

Hope this info helps. Good luck!

Also what mods do you have, stock radio? Could be something simple like a loose connection.

4. John Myers

John Myers Proven Member

Joined Sep 17, 2014
    Wahoo, Nebraska
    Well u didnt really need to take the turbo off to conclude it was siezed. But the good news is if you went through all of that, the next troubleshooting steps should be fairly easy haha.

If it starts and dies, I would first suspect low fuel pressure. But low fuel pressure can be caused by sensor values being off telling the ECU to not add the fuel, not only the mechanical parts of the fuel system. If you hold the gas down, does it stay running longer? Do you have a way to measure fuel pressure?

Another good place to start is by running the codes. That should indicate if one of the sensor values are off, then you can go through the troubleshooting steps on that circuit. Also visually inspect your belts to make sure they are all in good shape as well.

I'm not a guru, but I am in the area btw if you want help.

Street Build 977  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. haybale8

Joined Jan 30, 2015
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well we put a new computer in it a few months ago and just started driving it again since. We never really "adjusted" it so now i'm wondering if that might have something to do with it.
    Thanks though, I'll keep that in mind ha.

Street Build 636  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    Boulder, Colorado
    Not sure what you are thinking about. The fuel pressure on a DSM is mechanically controlled by the fuel pressure regulator modulated by the intake manifold pressure/vacuum (base + manifold). There isn't any ECU involvement besides turning the fuel pump on.

The amount of fuel injected is under ECU control but the ECU expects that the fuel pressure is being maintained by the regulator so that the injectors always spray the same amount of fuel for a given unit of time.

12  2

2008 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro Roadster
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

12  4

2002 Audi TT Quattro Roadster 225

30  2

1992 Dodge Stealth RT/TT
    awd · manual · 3000GT/Stealth

4K  12

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
    John Myers likes this.
  7. John Myers

John Myers Proven Member

Joined Sep 17, 2014
    Wahoo, Nebraska
    I thought if for instance your coolant temp sensor tells the ecu the engine is overheating, the ecu would pull fuel?

Street Build 977  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  8. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    Boulder, Colorado
    Not sure it does that, but if it did, it would be by reducing the injector pulse width not by changing the fuel pressure.

12  2

2008 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro Roadster

12  4

2002 Audi TT Quattro Roadster 225

30  2

1992 Dodge Stealth RT/TT
    awd · manual · 3000GT/Stealth

4K  12

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  9. 2fast2evo

2fast2evo Proven Member

Joined May 17, 2015
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Does it only do this when the car is warmed up? Does it just shut off entirely, if so what kind of RPM/load?

2K  0

manual · Lancer Evolution
  10. haybale8

Joined Jan 30, 2015
    Omaha, Nebraska
    One day I was driving it and it shut off, and would only turn on for a few seconds at a time, so i had to rent a uhaul tower to get it home.

Street Build 636  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  11. 2fast2evo

2fast2evo Proven Member

Joined May 17, 2015
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Do the standard checks. Air leaks (boost or vacuum) as a precaution, but totally random dying (as it sounds?) without any other sorts of behaviour from the car (stuttering? RPM surging? Bogging? Sounds/flashing lights?) sounds to me like some sort of electrical short. Heck, even just make sure that your battery connectors aren't corroded. In my experience, electrical problems tend to be more sporadic and instant, while mechanical ones (leaks e.g.) tend to be more constant and gradual.

2K  0

manual · Lancer Evolution
  12. enriquez2000

enriquez2000 Proven Member

Joined Oct 5, 2014
    fort collins, Colorado
    It does do that. Just delt with mine having a crack in a wire and not starting very well. But you are right it controls injector pulse to add fuel when cold

Street Build 2K  12

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
  13. DBroadard

DBroadard Probationary Member

Joined Oct 5, 2013
    New Castle, Delaware
    I wouldn't attribute the car dying to the turbo, so don't stress about that, which can be costly. Think more along the lines of a fuel pump, electrical wiring.. anything fuel related.

2fast2evo likes this.