The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

turbo housing porting questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskanDsm

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
I have been researching how to port, what to port, where to port and what tools to use to of course port. I am getting a new Evo III 16G from slowboy racing and I am going to have the outlet porting done with 34 mm flapper :D. I want to port my exhaust manifold, o2 housing and I have been finding that with that combination, porting the turbo housing to the wastegate is very popular for keeping the boost creep out.

If I decided that I wanted to port out the turbo housing, is there a gasket or anything that goes inebetween the housing and the turbo besides the band clamp that is shown in the Vfaq for turbo rebuilds?
:confused::confused:

I just don't need to mess anything up if I take apart the new E316G.:ohdamn: I am really excited for my newest addition to my build any insight and help would be VERY apprcieated. :D

I am also following the link in the tech article written by Chadillac who was instructed by Oldman and I am also following that original thread. If anyone has any other information to add, i'm really open to suggestions.

Thanks for you time and help!

I appreciate the generosity but I get one day to work on all this stuff in my dad's shop when I got home to work on it all. 7AM to 12AM is how long I have to get everything done I need. So unless you lived in Alaska and could drive it over to me.. It would be too late.

So the rubber o-ring since it would be new, just place the whole turbine assembly off to the side and then I can port out the housing with no problems correct?

Ok, I was looking over my exhaust manifold and noticed that only one of the runners had begun to get ported. no big deal. Then I noticed that the heat shield bolt locations had bolts snapped off in them so I will have to get them removed somehow. So when I port out the outlet of the manifold, leave the divider inbetween and just smooth everything out correct?

My next question is, if I work non stop at porting all of the items I want to port (turbine housing, exhaust manifold, and O2 housing), how long would that take roughly. I would be using an air powered die grinder and carbide bits of course.

I don't need to know about the dremeling portion of the porting as I will have someone else helping me with that. But, do I need to hand sand the rest of it? or can I just clean it and install it after I smooth it out with the dremel tool?

Thanks for the help!

Ok, I was looking over my exhaust manifold and noticed that only one of the runners had begun to get ported. no big deal. Then I noticed that the heat shield bolt locations had bolts snapped off in them so I will have to get them removed somehow. So when I port out the outlet of the manifold, leave the divider inbetween and just smooth everything out correct?

My next question is, if I work non stop at porting all of the items I want to port (turbine housing, exhaust manifold, and O2 housing), how long would that take roughly. I would be using an air powered die grinder and carbide bits of course.

I don't need to know about the dremeling portion of the porting as I will have someone else helping me with that. But, do I need to hand sand the rest of it? or can I just clean it and install it after I smooth it out with the dremel tool?

Thanks for the help!

Hey AlaskanDsm,

You're going to want to leave the divider. You can trim it down. But not all the way! I trimmed my down about halfway just so there's enough to "flip" the air down into the turbo.

It will take awhile to get all 3 items done. To be honest I worked on my manifold and turbo over a period of a week so it seems as if I spent maybe 5 - 7 hours total on everything. Sorry I can't give an accurate time but i will tell you it does take time and patience. This also depends on your compressor and tools because you need a good compressor to keep up. I would take periodic breaks and let my compressor cool down.

Really, you don't need to polish it, but just smooth it out like you said. I smoothed mine out with 100 grit and it looks fine.

Here is my forum if you need some cheap carbide bits that work great and examples of some work.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/337256-first-attempt-porting.html

Good Luck.

Fortunately for me, I will be working in a bus transit repair shop... They have a sound proof room for their compressor...which btw is huge... like a generator connected to a holding tank haha. But I appreciate your input! It's good to know the amount of time that you spent on the porting. And with the manifold diver, I was just going to smooth it but not really touch it.

I planned on running a couple different bits on the dremel to smooth the porting jobs out. Would that be enough or will I still have to hand sand. I'm not trying to cheap out, just save some time.

Thanks for the link!! I will deff check it out later when I'm not at work.... where they block all the pictures. I am really looking forward to this project. I know this is going take some time so i'm not too afraid. Just don;t want to mess anything up.

Fortunately for me, I will be working in a bus transit repair shop... They have a sound proof room for their compressor...which btw is huge... like a generator connected to a holding tank haha. But I appreciate your input! It's good to know the amount of time that you spent on the porting. And with the manifold diver, I was just going to smooth it but not really touch it.

I planned on running a couple different bits on the dremel to smooth the porting jobs out. Would that be enough or will I still have to hand sand. I'm not trying to cheap out, just save some time.

Thanks for the link!! I will deff check it out later when I'm not at work.... where they block all the pictures. I am really looking forward to this project. I know this is going take some time so i'm not too afraid. Just don;t want to mess anything up.

You don't need to get crazy. Just use a carbide bit of your choice, depending on the area where you're trying to grind away on the Manifold. Then, what I did, was use 100 grit sand paper rolls that came with this screw on thing. What it pretty much is is sandpaper on a stick and the stick goes in the die grinder. Understand? But you can use any form of a sanding wheel. IMO it looked pretty good after using the 100 grit sanding.

IMO I believe that hand sanding really isn't necessary.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back