The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Turbo bolts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolin98 said:
pb blaster works wonders.
It sure does. But I broke 2 of them in the exhaust housing on Saturday :mad: $#)(*&(#*^%$

I just had my engine warm. my car is 16 years old, and has always been in buffalo. The car was warm and i got the exhaust manifold studs out of the head and the turbo bolts out. I did snap a bolt between the o2 housing and the turbo but that was after it was out of the car

(Edit: COPPER ;))Anti-seize. :thumb:
PB Blaster. :thumb:

Getting new cup washers sometimes helps with the turbo bolts backing out. 2 washers per bolt. The dots face outwards. Torque to about 40-45 ft/lbs.

MrBoxx said:
(Edit: COPPER ;))Anti-seize. :thumb:
PB Blaster. :thumb:

Getting new cup washers sometimes helps with the turbo bolts backing out. 2 washers per bolt. The dots face outwards. Torque to about 40-45 ft/lbs.
Ah, last time I used the silver spark plug anti-seize. Don't think it worked too well as it seemed to bond with the threads on the bolt. Any idea if the bolts are salvageable or should I just get some new ones?

Ordered 4, but they won't be in til Monday...so I guess it's time to take apart the car AGAIN then :rolleyes:

Should I put washers on the studs for the manifold also?

Thanks!

use a good air impact to remove them. mine came right out at 127xxx miles and 11 yrs old

If you find yourself breaking turbo/mani/o2 housing bolts do two things:

1) Support your downpipe with a bracket on the front of the engine. Stock engines have a loop support, you should make something similar.

2) PB blast: Heat engine/turbo up: remove slowly going both forwards and backwards as the bolt is coming out: Add copper anti seize going back in: Heat the mani/turbo up slightly with a torch before you put them back in.

60% of the time, it works everytime.

Any idea where to get copper anti-seize right now? AutoZone didn't have them and NAPA closed at 6 WTF

I used the standard silver anti-seize on my swap. I think you could get away with using it.

You have fastenal stores by you? They might/should have it. Or try some other autoparts stores.
EDIT--didnt catch the right now part of the question, sorry.

Yeah, I used some of the silver...I'm going to be swapping all the bolts w/new ones this weekend anyway :(

Thanks for the help!

has anyone had experience with the stainless steel ones offered by ffwdconnection? those as well as their exhaust mani studs look awesome.

unlmtdndeavor said:
has anyone had experience with the stainless steel ones offered by ffwdconnection? those as well as their exhaust mani studs look awesome.
They are extremely picky and very soft. I broke one upon installation and had to have a new one sent to me. I also needed a new turbine housing which I had to rush port in like 2hrs :( I haven't had them off yet but I will say that when you install then run a tap through your turbine housing threads and use some anti-seize. They send you a detailed instruction list for install so you have any problems with them.

The stockers work fine, I've never had any issues with them. I use the high temp anti seize from RRE, think its 2700 Deg. If you have issues with the bolts backing out you can always get a hole drilled in the head and wire them with stainless stell safety wire.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back