The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tuning with 1st gen SAFC???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spanky7829

15+ Year Contributor
May 24, 2004
El Paso, Texas
Hey guys, i was reading the tuneing guide of the apexi safc and nothing with the first generation one.(5 button style) Well i wanted to take it to dyno it and have it tuned but no cash to do it yet. I was wondering if anyone had a good tuning with there 1st style controller. For now i just want to have my bov vent out. Im sorta affarid to mess with the controller. Anyone can help me out. Thanks.

*** 1995 Talon TSI FWD
*** 1999 GST Front Bumper
*** Alpine 6 Speaker Setup
*** 6 Red Neons
*** Injen Intake
*** 2 Rockerfosgate 12's
*** 765 Sony Expload Amp
*** Kenwood Mp3 player
*** Steward Warner A/F Gauge
*** Steward Warner Boost Gauge
*** Dejon Dual Manual Boost Controller
*** Dual Side Pillar Pod
*** 1g Bov
*** Silverstar 9006 White bulbs

We really don't need a list of useless mods that have nothing to do with tuning. I personally don't care if you have some "blingin' neons yO" or a "mad bumpin' stereo."

I don't understand how the guide doesn't have SAFC tuning information. It has everything you need to know.

You just don't have two different load maps, so you have to chose the settings tat best reflects the compromise you want. This usually means tuning for idle on the idle knob, and then making the rest basically for full throttle.

Well the reason i posted my mods just in case anyone asked what i had and i could get my answer faster then having to go back and relist the specs of my car. Second your not thinking of the right controller this one is the first one made without the blue screen display. Its just the knobs that u can turn at 800,2400,4000,5600,7200 rpm scale. And also whats with the smart ass remarks, i just asked a question.

Spanky7829 - The problem with the "mods" you listed is that 90% of them do not have to do with performance or the tuning aspect of the engine. About the only "performance" mods you have on there is the injen intake, manual boost controller, and 1g bov.

Truthfully, the old knob safc is really old and anyone really looking to tune would not use it. You can get the safcI with the blue screen for about 150 bucks. The BEST advice I can give you is not to start "tuning" your car. You WILL do more harm then good if you do it. For a few reasons, first you don't have any reason to tune it, you would need an upgraded turbo, upgraded fuel pump, upgraded injectors, and a logging device like a pocketlogger BEFORE you would be ready to tune. You have none of those. If you just let the ecu control fuel for now you'll be safe, if you try to alter it yourself, you can easily run too lean and ruin your engine. And 3rd, when you make a statement like:

"For now i just want to have my bov vent out."

...this just means that you want your car to sound good. If you read through these boards at all then you would know that venting your bov is bad for performance, for gas mileage, spark plugs, o2 sensors...There's no reason to do it other than to sound like the movies.

I'm not trying to be mean or anthing. If you like stereo stuff then that's cool, nothing wrong with that. But enjoy your car and let it control the fuel, and don't vent your bov since it's just a bad thing to do. And if and when you ever want to go faster or start to tune, then get some more performance mods (turbo, fuel pump, fmic, injectors, safc, pocketlogger) and then ask how to tune again.

Spanky7829 said:
Second your not thinking of the right controller this one is the first one made without the blue screen display. Its just the knobs that u can turn at 800,2400,4000,5600,7200 rpm scale. And also whats with the smart ass remarks, i just asked a question.

Yes I am, I used to have one.

Like I said:

kpt4321 said:
You just don't have two different load maps, so you have to chose the settings that best reflects the compromise you want. This usually means tuning for idle on the idle knob, and then making the rest basically for full throttle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back