The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

TSi feels like it's missing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboJunky

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2004
Winston-Salem, North_Carolina
Drove my new DSM home tonight and was enjoying it for a bit, then something strange started happening.

If I keep the car out of boost, it runs great, but as soon as I dip into boost and reach about 4k rpms, it starts to stutter a lot.

The car has a SAFC installed, with all the needed fuel system mods and a MBC.

Basically, it pulls fine for a moment, then it just bogs, the exhaust note breaks up, and it starts to act like it's experiencing fuel cut.

EDIT: This happens less and less as I go through the gears, i.e. the worst in first gear, a little less in second, by third-fifth it's pretty much gone. I still don't go WOT because of the boost leak causing a fuel cut at peak, though.

It was at 1/8th of a tank when this started happening. Filled it up and I'm going to drive it some tomorrow and see if it wasn't bad gas. At any rate, the lower intercooler hose is leaking boost so I'm replacing it with a hard pipe as soon as I can source one.

Plugs are fresh and gapped correctly and wires are new.

If your getting fuel cut or ignition is missing for any reason your going to feel it in lower gears more cause the engine has more pull. Do you have a datalogger of any kind to go with that SAFC you really should have one if your fuel tunning. Use a logger to check your timing advance, knock and air flow from yuor MAF. Timing would make the car bog down like you were driving in mud. Knock is what would cause your timing to do drop most likely. I'm not sure how many Hz the MAF has to report for before you get fuel cut but I'm sure someone here can shoot out the number.

Fill in your vehicle profile...are you running bigger injectors with your SAFC? a bigger turbo? a FMIC?

johnk said:
If your getting fuel cut or ignition is missing for any reason your going to feel it in lower gears more cause the engine has more pull. Do you have a datalogger of any kind to go with that SAFC you really should have one if your fuel tunning. Use a logger to check your timing advance, knock and air flow from yuor MAF. Timing would make the car bog down like you were driving in mud. Knock is what would cause your timing to do drop most likely. I'm not sure how many Hz the MAF has to report for before you get fuel cut but I'm sure someone here can shoot out the number.

Fill in your vehicle profile...are you running bigger injectors with your SAFC? a bigger turbo? a FMIC?
Injectors are in the mail (680s)
Car has a B16G w/stock sidemount, I'm adjusting the boost down to 15psi tomorrow and leaving it there. He has the car running ~18psi right now, another cause of the fuel cut I think.

I will be running a datalogger tomorrow afternoon (MMCd). I just have to go to the store and pick up a serial hotsync cable for my Palm.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back