The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Trying to spool wont go anywhere?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolio

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 3, 2003
Port Charlotte, Florida
well this has been going on for a week now, i go WOT and it either starts to spool up then it cuts out at like 12psi , sometimes it just barelly even spools up it seems like it wants to stay in vacuum, ill go wot for a second let it spool till like 9psi then it seems like it sucks down to 20vacuum in a fraction of a second, also my plugs are white, i thought maybe i had a fuel problem so i got a new fuel filter and changed my plugs , seems to be even worse, also if i try to take off then come to a stop the car will go down to like 500rpms then just cut out on me, its idling now at like 500rpms i ushally idle around 750-900 when its driving ok, idk what is going on, PLEASE!!! someone help me!, i dont want to have to go to a mechanic and spend big $$$ to have someone figure this thing out, i cant see how it is anything really major, i have no checklights on or anything, idk someone please help me, i cant even go to work tomorow cause my car is screwed and i got my bike apart doing brakes and tires.

Check around at all your hoses to make sure none of the intercooler piping is disconnected.

You may want to check your turbo for shaft play. Also, if you haven't already, run a boost leak test if you don't find any visually obvious boost leaks such as blown intercooler pipe adapters, etc. as phillabaum03 indicated.

i really hope my turbo isnt blown, whats the best way to check shaft play?, take the intake hose off and move the turbine?, or do i have to take the whole turbo out?, also i know for a fact i have a pretty decent sized exhuast manifold leak, could this be causing some of the problem?

You should be able to check the shaft play without removing your turbo - just disconnect your intake pipe from the turbo inlet and see if the compressor blade is able to move noticeably relative to the shaft. Check for any significant movement along the shaft as well as side to side movement (radially from the shaft.) You can also check and make sure that the compressor blade is not binding (is able to spin freely.)

Regarding the exhaust leak, if you have a sizeable leak before the turbo, this could cause some airflow to bypass the turbo, reducing its effectiveness at building boost. If the leak is after the turbo, I doubt this would cause the problem you are experiencing. Hope this helps!:thumb:

yea but if i have a leak before the turbo (exhuast manifold crack), would it cause my motor to run lean like it is?, i just went down in my garage for 3 hours i checked my turbo it spins freely and has no play whatsoever, so my turbo is good, i know for a fact that i have a pretty good sized exhuast mani leak cause i had oil get dumped into 1 cylinder cause i had a bunch of oil in my plug hole so i took the plug out and let the oil dump into my cylinder so when i went to go start it up, maybe 70% of the smoke came from my exhuast manifold, and 30% from my exhuast itself, so i know there is a major leak there, also someone mentioned i could have a stuck wastegate?, im not sure, someone respond quick!, if i need an exhuast mani ill go get one asap.

Have you had a chance to run a boost leak test yet? A boost leak could cause you to run lean at idle or whenever your intake is in vacuum. With a boost leak, your engine may be drawing-in unmetered air (air which is not seen by the ECU), causing a lean condition at idle or in vacuum. I would not expect an exhaust manifold leak to cause a lean condition - however it could affect the spooling of your turbo. I saw in your vehicle profile that you have a datalogger. You may want to monitor your O2 sensor voltage to verify its functioning properly and also to confirm that you are running lean.

well i started the laptop up yesturday and i must have reinstalled my OS and all my software is gone for my datalogger, i am useing TMO (technomotive), i cant find the cd for the software anywhere, so now i cant even do any logg's, and i gotta make up a boost leak tester tomorow or something, what do you suggest is the best way to make/perform a leak test.

Its unfortunate that your datalogger isn't working - that would probably shed some light on these problems. Here is a popular boost leak tester link: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html. As mentioned in these instructions, monitor the amount of air pressure you are applying carefully so that you do NOT exceed 20psi (or whatever boost pressure you normally run.) Fixing any and all boost leaks you may find might not fix the problem(s) your car is having, but its a good place to start.

How to make and use a boost leak tester.

Make sure not to overpressurize the intake tract. 20-25 psi is all you need, so make sure your air tank's regulator is set for that. Don't go blowing in 160 psi or whatever into your turbo. A few people have done that and created serious problems, like blown turbo seals. So... keep the regulator at 20 psi, and watch your boost gauge. If your boost gauge says 5 psi.. obviously you have a leak (or seven) somewhere. Key points: intercooler, intercooler pipes, throttle body shaft seals, BISS, intake manifold, fuel injector seals, and even your turbo compressor housing. Spray soapy water on all these places to pinpoint leaks. Look for the bubbles that form. Fix all the leaks you can and retest. Your boost gauge should hold as much pressure as you put in for at least 30 seconds.

thanx guys, i took off work today so mess with my car, im gonna go to homedepot and make myself a boost leak tester

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back