The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Trboblu - 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95talongirl

Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2008
On a Jet Plane, Illinois
Hey everyone! Well since the blog section was kinda replaced by this one, I am going to merge that one with this one so I have a spot to keep the build process going on the car. :) So bear with me, as I get all of the back story to this page. :D

11-10-2010

Once upon a time; back on July 7, 2007, (that would be 7-7-07 for those who like numbers) I purchased my first dsm. It was a black Tsi AWD autotragic car. I say "autotragic" because on what was suppost to be the luckiest day EVER, the car goes into "limp" mode as soon as a drive away with the title.
:thumb:

Haha... Should've known then and there that this would only lead to trouble. Anyways here is a picture of the black car.
P1010021-2.jpg

The car was driven in "limp" mode for a few months until finding this shell:
talontrailer.jpg

Enter: Snow White.

Snow White recieved the engine and various other parts from the black car. She offically became the Daily Driver that turned Project Car back into Daily Driver....

....back into Project Car. :ohdamn: ... in May of 2010. Snow White racked up about 50k miles in the span of 3 years and collected a ton of parts. However, she developed systemic cancer of the body. She was put to rest on 11- 7-2010. She has a chance at a ressurection, as a body man I know wants to scoop her up. So we'll see.

This is where TRBOBLU comes into play. Turbo Blue is a virtually rust free shell, but suffered from a disorder known as "ricerownerous". Poor car had almost every wire under the hood or in the car cut for some unknown reason. She also had various interior panels painted, as well as the engine bay and differental are a nice shade of baby powder blue. :confused: It *almost* matches the Kona Blue Pearl. Almost. Oh, let's not forget the plethora of eBay universal "performance" parts and headlights that belong to a 2gb Eclipse; that were wired into the o2 sensor. I kid you not.

Here's a pic of TRBOBLU
talon_may2010_1.jpg

There's a little bit of backstory. Right now both cars are stripped down... I shall add some more later on the progress of these cars and what the plan is. Woo!

Dsms are fun.

While waiting for the work computer to load and find a license for Nuke, figured I'd run through the plan for Turbo Blue.

Modifications:
EVO 16g
FMIC
3" GM MAF
650cc Injectors
255 pump
DSMLINK V3

These will be running on a stock engine until spring. Come spring time, it will get a fresh rebuilt engine. (The engine from Snow White.) This will have a re-done head with titinuim valve springs and retainers, as well as 272 cams. I'm still considering what to do with the bottom end.

Suspension wise the car will be sitting on Koni's with eibach springs and poly bushings throughout.

current state:
dsms_11copy.jpg

dsms_6copy.jpg

dsms_3copy.jpg

11-21-10
Turbo Blue was treated with a product called Rust Encapsulator while the rear suspension and tank were out of the car. I have used both POR-15 and Rust Bullet before. POR-15 proved to be ok; however did not work as well as the Rust Bullet. I found that an unprepped surface worked better for the POR-15.... so decided to try out Rust Bullet. That product is holding up better on the Dodge Shadow shell. However, neither of the aformentioned products come in a handy spray can option. Rust Encapsulator does. :rocks: OH, and it sprays really well. Just don't get it in your eye.

1120001056.jpg

BUT how well will it hold up? Well, we shall find out as Turbo Blue is slated to get me through the winter.

She's still looking kinda sad. However.. the Energy suspention bushings are done for the most part, and got new diff bushings as well.
1120001135b.jpg

Need to get the wiring harnesses in the car all the way still. What a pain! ROFL

Pile of Snow White remains mixed with Dodge Neon remains...
1113001839.jpg

12-06-2010
You know... sometimes I wonder what kind of mind set one must be in to wake up one glorious beautiful morning and think: "You know what would be SWEET? Painting my already blue car, which of course has a blue engine bay; a lighter, nastier shade of.. BLUE! Any why stop there? Paint the hoses and lines the same aweful color!"

Oh yeah... and be sure to paint directly over the strut tower bar; leaving the OE blue under it. :ohdamn:

1205002127.jpg

Managed to get the engine/front wiring harness out of the car. Also removed most of eBay form the engine bay. Will probably swap on my old intake and change out the power steering lines. I'm also going to re-spray most of this engine back in a rust inhibitor. So it'll be black... I guess that's not as bad at the crappy blue. Would be better the original blue..but time is of the essence.

1205002032a.jpg

1205002119.jpg

Found this aweosme rig job on the throttle cable, too. ROFL

1205001928.jpg

The car's rear end is done. Look a ton better sitting on the Koni's.

Hopefully there won't be too many more "surprises"

Pieces to the Puzzle Posted 12-08-2010 at 05:05 PM by 95talongirl
Tags

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the suspension fell out.

Most of the dissembly on the car is complete. Now time for some welding repairs on the strut towers; rust treatment and re-assembly.

Got the Aeromotive FPR in, as well as the install kit. The much-needed u-joint arrived today thanks to Ghostcrafter!

This weekend will be a busy one...
puzzledsm_zpse5434f01.jpg

Strut Tower repair Posted 01-06-2011 at 10:33 AM by 95talongirl
Tags awd, rebuild, talon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TrboBlu is still under the knife. There were some hairline cracks in the towers. I'm going to guess these were from the *awesome* high-performance suspension parts that consisted of ebay coilovers on stock, blown struts. The car could probably rattle my brain back into being sane.

Also grabbed the washer line from the white talon; which is looking kinda sad... all up on the trailer.

This week should allow for painting on the strut towers as well as the engine bay. No more nasty blue.

OH! There was more dissambly required than originally thought. The coolant tube that runs along block was crushed. So, the intake, turbo and manifold were all removed. This brings me to the option of delaying this car a few more weeks and rebuilding the other 7 bolt engine. I already have the head done it would just be a matter of getting some lower end goodies. Still debating on this, tho.
downsized_0102111558_zpsb22bc63e.jpg

downsized_0102111547_zps154e92f1.jpg

Duplicolor fun and games Posted 01-08-2011 at 07:13 PM by 95talongirl
Tags

Tonight the engine/trans was pulled from the car. Decided that since the car is down this far minds will rebuild the other 7 bolt and use the cylinder head I have redone. I had BC springs and retainers installed and it will be getting a set of FP 272 cams.

The question is now... which block to use. Technically I have two. I am thinking of seeing if the block from the white car is o.k. That engine was overheated; not not for long. If it is not warped, I'll get that block all cleaned up and freshen up the lower end.

Attached is a photo of the fun with Duplicolor event that was held tonight. Engine bay and strut towers were rust-inhibitor treated, primed and then painted. I might clear coat it. Maybe. The color kind-of close to the car's color. It's closer than the baby-sh!t blue it was before. It's "intense blue pearl" the chrysler color. It has the same paint code as the Kona Blue; so it'll do. Besides it'll be covered with various fluids soon enough.

Took some more photos with the better camera. I'll upload those when I get un-lazy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine woes Posted 01-25-2011 at 08:27 AM by 95talongirl
Tags

Well over the weekend decided to take apart the engine from the white car, as well as look at the other blocks I have. I now understand why the white car had temperature issues. The deck was warped on the block. Oddly enough, the head seems to be ok. So I guess who ever rebuilt it last spent the time to get the head work done, but not the block. The Cylinders were found to be out of round as well.

Pulled the other block out form the shed to find that it was also warped. But I kinda figured it would be since I had that engine's head redone last spring and it had significant heat damage.

So I'm playing with the idea of going with a forged piston, since more than likely either block is going to have to be machined. Perhaps JE? Any one have some suggestions? The car is not really going to be a horsepower monster.. thinking between the 350-400HP range at most. This car is slated to be more of a daily driver; so nothing extravagant is planned for it.

So, I don't know. I really wasn't planning on a lower end rebuild; but sh!t happens; espically in the world of used and abused cars. LOL..

bluetalon1_zpsd62341d3.jpg

downsized_0108112157a_zpsece1fb4f.jpg

bluetalon4_zps65f8359b.jpg

bluetalon8_zps4f5db452.jpg

bluetlaon6_zps2d0be0e6.jpg

bluetlon5_zps2d55e94c.jpg

Still waiting Posted 03-29-2011 at 03:05 PM by 95talongirl
Tags dsm, talon, tsi

in my last post, I think I mentioned something how the engine surprised me with needing machine work. One would think that by now I would've learned that nothing gets by "easy" with this car.

Still love it, though.

Anyways, the machine shop told me that I should see the engine mid-April. It is being bored over .020, line honed, maganfluxed, balanced, cleaned, ect. The crank is being polished, as well. Don't recall the entire list since it is not in front of me.

So now just got to order up the bearings, balance shaft elimator kit, and a head gasket. Cometic seems to be in order for the gasket. However, I am not sure as to which one yet. I'm going to need a thicker one, since the head was fubared and needed to be milled quite a bit. .040 quite a bit. Darn kids overheating their cars.

I just sent out the 2gb bumpers and 2ga twisty sideskirts for paint.

What else.. oh! Located some more black/grey panels for the interior swap.

That's about it for now. Back to the waiting game.....

Here's a pic of the car back on all fours.
allfours_zps6ffac4d6.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TurboBlu's Heart returns tomorrow! Posted 04-10-2011 at 07:17 PM by 95talongirl
Tags project, talon, turbo

Tomorrow is the big day! Picking up the engine from the machine shop! I will post a more detailed post about this once I get it home.

Meanwhile, was able to get a few more things done on the car this weekend. The ABS was deleted using a very nice "delete kit" from STM. The stainless brake lines are quite beautiful.

Also was able to finally repair the black dash with this handy little plastic welder.

Fixed some more wiring, and got the speakers in the car..

I am hoping to hear on the paint work for the 2gb bumpers that were sent out a few weeks ago.

And without further a-do, here are some crappy cell phone pics.
downsized_0409112308_zpsd0ebfcd9.jpg

downsized_0410111438a_zpsf0343cf5.jpg

downsized_0410111438b_zps5e383dbf.jpg

downsized_0410111439a_zps91580ff0.jpg

downsized_0410111448_zps8b0f1a39.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Return of the Engine Posted 04-11-2011 at 08:53 PM by 95talongirl
Tags

After a rather long day on the road; the engine is back! The shop did a beauitful job on it. Didn't have the camera with me, so I'll add pictures later one.

But in short, the block was decked .007, bored over .020, magnafluxed, degreased, aligned and honed.. the JE pistons were fitted to the rods; ARP rod bolts, the crank was polished and I also had everything balanced.

Should be ready to rock as soon as I order the head gasket and bearings!

This is where I took the engine in case anyone was curious. The have a 4g63 torque plate and reasonable pricing.

http://www.pereng.com/

downsized_0411111559_zps5e42ed85.jpg

downsized_0411111559a_zps4c2e0e51.jpg

This week, in addition to picking up the engine... also picked up the bumpers and sideskirts that were resprayed blue. I was thrilled with the results! Of course, I'm sure they will make the rest of the car look bad now. ROFL

I was quite "impressed" with just how many bolts attach the rear fascia on. haha! Honestly, it seemed a bit overkill. Had a few of them break off, too. I think four. So will have to do some drilling this weekend. Other than that, it was pretty straightforward.

Also got the Mustang out for the first real time this spring. Put it to good use. ;)

Here are some pictures; combination of cell phone pics and ones taken with an actual camera. One pic shows the old skirt/repaint/and body color. I really enjoy when people fill in the letters by hand. :notgood: LOL...

PS: I really hate the color blue. ;)

bumperhauling20copy_zps8d233f5b.jpg

downsized_0413111745_zps46f7a41e.jpg

downsized_0412112017_zpsf1cc02ea.jpg

downsized_0412111339_zpsdcdd32e9.jpg

JE Pistons are beautiful
Posted 04-25-2011 at 12:37 PM by 95talongirl
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, they sure are. The part I dislike about a rebuild is when you get all these new parts in and freshly machined blocks and heads; they all look so good that I almost want to keep them out for decoration.

So.. just a few shots of the short block.

Anyone want some stock 2g pistons, let me know. They are good..
engine_zpsb73a9730.jpg

engine1_zps59f9fdd5.jpg

engine2_zpsaad24fe4.jpg

engine3_zps1e2eb274.jpg

engine4_zps60869944.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Progress and Snags
Posted 05-08-2011 at 07:48 PM by 95talongirl
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the newly painted sides and rear bumper are offically on the car and bolted on. Tails were put back in, as well.

Went to install the head on the block only to find that Cometic sent me the wrong headgasket. This one looks like it belongs to an EVO block. So got to call tomorrow and see if they can fix it.

However, did get the cams degreed in. The intake is off 1/4 tooth and the exhaust is off by 1/2 tooth. I should be picking up some adjustable cam gears this week.. so this shouldn't be an issue.

Per usual, here are some pics.
blockcopy_zpsb618f8bd.jpg

rearend_zpsee49adef.jpg

turbobluecopy_zpsf971fe2d.jpg

Valve Cover, Cometic, and Warm Weather.. oh my!
Posted 05-13-2011 at 01:16 PM by 95talongirl
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well the weather looks like it has finally broke for summer! That makes working on things so much easier...

Cometic sent out the correct gasket this week and I got it yesterday. So Just got to package up the old one and sent it back. They, did, indeed send me one for the EVO8 block. The coolant jackets are different. Who woulda thought? It's a thick gasket, that's fo-sho! But guess that's what happens when the head had to be milled .040 thousanths. Eek.

Also got the valve cover back from a nice guy in Monore, MI. He started up a small powdercoating buisness and is doing quite well. He does great work for the pricing!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=578995526

^^ in case anyone is interested.

Going to make an attempt to get this engine together this weekend and possibly back in the car. We shall see. I'm getting a bit antsy...

Also took the Mustang out for a cruise after doing brakes on it the other day. Thought I'd share a pic. Well, that and I don't have any new pics of the Talon to share. Yet.
belleisle_2copy_zps4f2a5793.jpg

downsized_0511111001_zps202fdcb7.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Talon says "hi".
Posted 05-28-2011 at 05:46 PM by 95talongirl

Well, sort-of.

Got to work on the Talon again today... and was able to get quite a few things back together. It's nice to finially start seeing this 5000-piece jigsaw puzzle starting to look like something.

The engine was assembled; and the transmission was bolted back up. Also installed the intake and a few accessories. Continued on the wiring nightmare. I REALLY should have labeled that harness. :ohdamn: I've probably said that a few times now.

Also started on the intstalation of the new/used black trim pieces.

Here's a few pictures of the progress:

DSC_2091copy.jpg

DSC_2090copy.jpg

DSC_2084copy.jpg

DSC_2070copy.jpg

^^ What a mess.

DSC_2062copy.jpg

And... the hood makes a good workbench. Too bad it's all got to me moved now to get the drivetrain back in. LOL
DSC_2094copy.jpg

The Engine is IN!!
Posted 06-05-2011 at 05:13 PM by 95talongirl
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
: hmm:

Needless to say... I'm thrilled to have the engine and trans back in the car. Things should start to move pretty quick now!

"As per tradition" here are some pictures!
DSC_3629copy.jpg

DSC_3621copy.jpg

DSC_3616copy.jpg

DSC_3614copy.jpg

DSC_3612copy.jpg

DSC_3609copy.jpg

Up on the chain...
DSC_3620copy.jpg

DSC_3618copy.jpg

Some more Pro-gress.
Posted 06-23-2011 at 11:24 AM by 95talongirl
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so besides this car causing all those involved with it to loose their minds, I think it's finially starting to come together.

Regardless, the engine cranks over! *yAy* This was after replacing the main start cables that were corroded. It's not running yet because it needs some 3/8" heater hose for the turbo lines. And spark sticks. Yes, spark sticks.. I keep forgetting about those.

Tested out the wiring. Most of it seems to be working. Something is not hooked up right in the dash because the A/C light stays on all the time. Then again.. found that the white car had a module that had 2 plug ins; the blue one didn't... so will swap those over and see what happens. But the turn sigals, brake lights, windows, sunroof, ect all have power and work.

SPEAKING of windows. .

So the windows on both sides of the car rolled up too far, so the door wouldn't shut right. Come to find out that the stops are missing, as well as most of the window felt guides. , seriously! So it was out to the white car to scavange some more parts.

Was going to try to sell the white car shell, but at this point there's not much left... so afraid its fate is going to be the scapper.

Thought I took some pictures, but can't seem to find them. Then again, if anyone saw how things are "organized" on this computer; it would be pretty apparent why they are missing.

SDAC-21 is this week, so will be out of town for bit. Hopefully the car will be on the road very soon after the convention.

Mt. Dew and TurboBlue
Posted 07-11-2011 at 08:55 AM by 95talongirl

Is it time for an update? Perhaps.

....it still doesn't run... ROFL

Anyways, did get some more items "fixed." First we'll start with the windows. I have no idea why anyone would remove the window guide felts, stoppers and plastic guides on the bottom; but this a$$clown did. So the window would roll up too far and cause the door to not shut. For anyone who is curious about these pieces, here is a little "guide" to the "guides" Note: one of them is behind the speaker and to get to it you have to remove the glass.

windowguides.jpg

After adjusting the window so it stops in the correct spot, went back to re-run the door wiring in its correct spot. The way the previous owner had it run was all inside the door so when the window is rolled all the way down it hit the wires. :ohdamn: Then the new/used door panels were installed.

doorpanelcopy.jpg

doorpanel2copy.jpg

On to the fuel pump rewire and FPR installation.

fuelpumprewirerelaycopy.jpg

^ Relay setup for the 255 pump

fprcopy.jpg

fpr_1copy.jpg

^ FPR install. Pretty self explanitory. :)

And here's a growing collection of parts that are no longer needed!
DSC_2027copy.jpg

Lastly, I stumbled across this picture from when the car was first picked up. It shows the awful color that entire undeside was painted. I made it into a face. :p

angrycar.jpg

Currently trying to locate some 3/8" heater line for the turbo coolant lines. That's the mission for today.

Anywho, that's about all for now.

Coming Together!
Posted 07-16-2011 at 12:42 PM by 95talongirl

Got the bumper on the car today; with the headlights. Also put on the coolant hoses for the turbo, spark plugs and wires. Now just got to modify the exhaust, continue to figure out what bolts go where, and just keep on truckin'.

Pics:
talonfacecopy_zps37ca3441.jpg

talonface_1copy_zpsc1f9b9d3.jpg

talonface_3copy_zps3b13ad85.jpg

And.... IT'S ALIVE!!!
Posted 07-17-2011 at 07:35 PM by 95talongirl

She's alive and kicking! Yesterday rolled it over on the stock ECU (just incase something was haywire with the wiring...) Today swapped it to the DSMLink-chipped ECU. Loaded the last tune into the computer, which had the correction for the GM MAF; then let her run for a good half hour or so. Here's a short video of the car running.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORyfqVUGO2Q]TrboBlu's First run - YouTube[/ame]

Now it's down to just little things; like why the gas gauge isn't working. May have to run the car off the 196k cluster form the white talon if the gauge ends up being the culprit. Oh well.

So far tho, she runs... and quite decent on a tune that's for stock cams. No leaks other than a few drips from some clamps that needed more tightening. The car is running a bit on the lean side. Of course this is at idle, so can't really judge what's going on a whole lot. But at idle the Wideband shows 15.7 to 16.5ish. I'll have to look at the logs from Link and see what's going on.

But yeah.. that's it for now. SO EXCITED!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oil. Oie.
Posted 07-23-2011 at 07:21 PM by 95talongirl
Updated 07-24-2011 at 04:59 PM by 95talongirl (added some things)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TrboBLu decided that she really, really likes life up on jackstands. Either that or she has a thing against the Brad Penn green oil. Regardless, a leak developed from behind the timing cover. Fearing the worst, the cover was removed... but come to find out it's just the oil pan.

Still.. she decided to give the preverbal

Did some test-fit on the seat brackets for the Recaros. Wedge Engineering made the brackets. They drilled one of the holes wrong on the driver's side... so had to drill it out some since they did not want to do anything about it. Oh well.

Also finished wiring the headlights. Got some Halo's now. Woo!

Alas, a new list of things to do before getting back to correcting the base tune on her.

Such is life. Water under the bridge!

Also fitted the new aftermarket carpet with the center console. Old carpet was pretty gross.
backlit_zps20b75ab8.jpg

eyes_zps54a17c25.jpg

newcarpetcopy_zps212f259a.jpg

newcarpet_1copy_zps987658f3.jpg

oldcarpetcopy_zps73a904c2.jpg

recaro_zps7e2d511b.jpg

talonapartagain_zps806072f7.jpg

Recaros
Posted 07-26-2011 at 05:50 PM by 95talongirl
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did a few things to the illustrious car today. One included fitting the Recaros.

Here's some pics:
DSC_6382copy.jpg

DSC_6370copy.jpg

DSC_6359copy.jpg

Still fighting with the aftermarket ill-fitting carpet. Fight have figured something out; will mess with it some more tomorrow.

Oh, forgot to add that the steering columns were swapped over too. The genius messed up the clockspring, so mind's well just swap over the whole thing. /delete. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Random Random Randomness
Posted 08-04-2011 at 06:04 PM by 95talongirl
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, So not a whole lot going on with the car this week. Dropped the oil pan, since it was leaking. Also took the test pipe to get it expanded to fit over the Thermal exhaust. That exhaust had the wrong flange on it; so had to cut it off. It was made for a stock downpipe, not a 3" one.

Also worked some more on the interior and made sure the radio still works. It does! Yay!

Today swapped the brakes around from the white car to Trboblu. That's about it thus far. She bit me today, too. LOL...
downsized_0804112015_zps51d646f6.jpg

DSC_6432copy_zps878e7545.jpg

DSC_6460copy_zps7a2a6e04.jpg

DSC_6463copy_zps47336ac4.jpg

Take 2
Posted 08-09-2011 at 09:08 AM by 95talongirl
Updated 08-09-2011 at 10:16 AM by 95talongirl (added a video)

and....

Car runs again after the oil pan re-seal. Also got the Thermal exhaust modded to fit that 3" DP. So naturally, there's a leak at the DP to 02 housing now. ha..

Going to buy another gasket for that tomorrow. Also noticed that the WB gauge appears to be on the fritz. When datalogging with the laptop, the WB A/F reads a steady 14.7 to 15.0. However the gauge reads erradic. It'll read very lean, then go to dashes then eventually settle back down; but it'll never match the laptop's reading.. like not even close. The gauge did sit in the garage over the winter so there's a chance it got damaged.

Other than that.. car seems to be doing ok. Got the driver's seat in now, as well; after I cut my finger on the bracket and got a nice blood stain on the carpet.

Clutch and brakes were bled too. Just a matter of debugging it now.. Was kinda hoping to have it for the Mopar Nationals this weekend; but it'll be cutting it close. The Phord may be making an apperance at the Mopar show. .

Here's a little video of it idling.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gezISB73A08]TrboBlu - Take 2 - YouTube[/ame]

DSC_7241copy_zpse89003b0.jpg

DSC_7242copy_zps21187336.jpg

DSC_7272copy_zps7091dcc3.jpg

DSC_7282copy_zpsa04eca5e.jpg

The 2gb Talon Spoiler
Posted 08-17-2011 at 08:25 PM by 95talongirl (TrboBLU - Project Ricecar to Racecar)
Tags 2gb, conversion, spoiler, talon

For those who are curious about the 2gb Talon spoiler and what's involved to use this on; say.. a 2ga car.. here's a little "primer."

A few years ago, woke up one day and thought that a 2gb Talon conversion would be a super duper fantabulous idea. All went according to plan except for one piece: The spoiler.

Scene 1: The tale of a Thousand Decklids.

Ok, maybe not a thousand..but a few. Snow White had a rusty decklid to begin with; so sourced a nice 2ga one to work with. Also bought a 2gb Talon spoiler a few days prior. The weekend comes along, so it's time to fill and drill holes for the new spoiler. Simple, right? WRONG.

Let's take a look-see as to why!

In exhibit A and B and C, we have an OE 2gb Talon spoiler.
DSC_0149-1.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

mounting.jpg

Notice the really odd looking mounting point. This would prove to be problem. It is very hard to drill a square-ish shaped hole on an angle.

Yeah, needless to say.. that didn't work out very well. So time to look for another decklid.

The following weeks would involve various internet searches and phone calls. One phone call was to Showdown Motorosports (no longer) of Toledo. They told me that they had a 2gb Talon decklid and spoiler. I was thrilled, so went down there to pick it up the next day.

Come to find out that this decklid was pretty much trashed; but there was something odd about the spoiler itself. It wasn't like the 2gb one that wanted to be difficult. This one was different. Perhaps in a good way?

See Exhibits D E and F:
spoiler2gb_2copy.jpg

spoiler2gb_1copy.jpg

spoiler2gbcopy.jpg

NOW THAT looks like something that can be worked with! The LED light also looks kinda cool.

Long story short.. bought that decklid, since they didn't want to seperate them. So had to find yet another decklid; since the very first one had a nice failed hole drilled in it.

About a week later; found a new victim. This one came form a 2ga Talon that was at a junk yard. Surprisingly, the decklid was rust free. Bonus! This would be the lid that got a faceift that included fiberglass/bondo and new holes drilled. Finally a fresh coat of paint and Voila! 2gb Talon spoiler!
:applause:

talon_may2010_8_sm.jpg

Scene 2: Water, water, everywhere.

Well, like most projects that are a first attempt, this one was, indeed, flawed. The decklid leaked; and leaked pretty good. Bummer. So the search for an OEM 2gb Talon Decklid and Spoiler was once again ensued....

This time is would take a few years since finding one that was not all rotted out would prove to be quite the challenge.

A few days ago, saw a listing for a 98 Tsi that was being parted out. It just so happened to have a good hatch and spoiler, too! So I jumped on this and bought it.

Finally. The 2gb conversion is complete!

Postscript

Just thought I'd share these pics and story with everyone in case you wanted to add this spoiler to your car. It is just easier to find the decklid in this case. Of course if you are skilled with a drill and body work, then maybe you would have better luck that I did. Attached are some pics showing the OE mounting holes on the decklid for reference.

Also, the LED aftermarket spoiler is now for sale. ;)

2gb Decklid:
98decklid_3copy_zps3f12649d.jpg

98decklid_1copy_zpsa05367d5.jpg

2GB Decklid Progress
Posted 08-24-2011 at 07:47 AM by 95talongirl
Updated 08-25-2011 at 12:10 PM by 95talongirl (added a pic)

The other day decided that 3 spoilers would look awesome on the Talon. Here's a mock up:

DSC_9459copy.jpg

DSC_9448copy.jpg

:p

Just kidding. :thumb:

However, did get the new/used decklid installed after respraying it black. It's just Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel for the time being since I really don't have the funds for a quality re-spray.

Pics:

DSC_9476copy.jpg

DSC_9484copy.jpg

DSC_9478copy.jpg

DSC_9487copy.jpg

DSC_9509copy.jpg

Kinda got this blue "panda" theme going on currently.

Another cartoon doodle of the car. :)
talon_toon_zpsf368dbb4.jpg

First drive!!
Posted 08-27-2011 at 06:19 PM by 95talongirl

She LIVES!!!! :rocks:

Out of the garage for the first time in over a year. It feels great!! There's still some bugs to work out and things to do... but the fact that she runs and drives down the road... OMG.. SO EXCITED!

Pics!
turbobluedrive_sm.jpg

paint.jpg

DSC_9696copy.jpg

DSC_9689copy.jpg

DSC_9693copy.jpg

DSC_9677copy.jpg

:D

That is all. Will probably get the hood on tomorrow. Alignment is next, as well.

Some notes...
Posted 09-05-2011 at 08:59 AM by 95talongirl

Well, the car has about 19 miles on her. Drove around town looking for a place to do an alignment. The first place said they wouldn't touch it because of the lowering springs. Ended up at Belle Tire. However, they couldn't get to it; so she goes back Tuesday.

In the meantime, messed with the damaged CF hood a but, fixed some odds and ends on the car.. like a new lower radiator hose. Hope to get this alignment done asap so that I can start pulling logs from Link and get some tuning going on.

On a good note, though... it wa 97º on Saturday and the car's temp stayed perfect! :thumb:

And now...The attempt to making an ugly, damaged CF hood less ugly... but still failed. She'll get a new hood next year..
DSC_9760copy.jpg

It was a $25 hood... Bought it damaged. Had 2 big cracks on both sides and pieces missing along the top edge. Also had some cracks on the underside. I repaired them using epoxy, then carbon fiber fabric and resin. Sanded it down... but all I have is spraypaint and cannot for the life of me get it to spray evenly on a panel this large. Anyways, has this hood on the white car for a few years, as well. No re-cracking! It's just ugly. LOL

Pics from when it was on the white car:
71bb3c4f.jpg

4a4f1b56.jpg

552c9e85.jpg

sept_talon139.jpg

taloncfhood620.jpg

DSC_0115-1.jpg

And one of the decal on the window :)
DSC_9773copy.jpg

She was also left out in the rain for the first time in over a year. Basically to test for water leaks.
DSC_9794copy.jpg

talonrainsm.jpg

One last note:
sunroofnotes.jpg

Just an FYI for those who may just be interested in sunroof glass or sunshade replacement. You do not have to remove the whole assembly.

Ok, and that is where I left off on the build. About the time when the blog switched over to journals. Since then, quite a few things have happened.

The car went on to attend a few car shows, and took home a few trophies. I also got to race it a few times, as well as try autocross for the first time in my life. What a blast!

Here's a few pictures from the last year:
nixonsm.jpg

red.jpg

engine.jpg

graffitti.jpg

talonalley.jpg

pits_22_zps30974281.jpg

autox_zps8d65015b.jpg

mbTalon.jpg

talon_chrysler_edit.jpg

DSC_6539.jpg

DSC_6511.jpg

heatshield.jpg

fpmanifold.jpg

DSC_1026copy.jpg

All of the above in video format:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbQJ-OY4ieo]TrboBlu's Adventure (2010 - 2012) - YouTube[/ame]

:)

So... plans for this year:
New wheels!
photo-1_zps370454e9.jpg

securedownload-1_zpsf29bd18c.jpg

CF hatch - from the CSL group buy:
cfdecklid_3_zps0ebbf042.jpg

cfdecklid_2_zpsbf025b6c.jpg

cfdecklid_1_zpsf603295b.jpg

cfdecklid_zps37f68d0f.jpg

New suspension setup - DG group buy - Koni based coilover
suspension_zps8df5eebc.jpg

Should be a good year for some progress. Also toying with the idea of going E85 and trying to max out the 16g. :)

Also got a parts discount through Mishimoto! :)
http://www.mishimoto.com/marybeth-kiczenski-1995-eagle-talon.html

Thank you! :)

Always looking for ways to make it better. I also found some better fenders, too. So inquiring about getting some pieces painted, or even the entire car. We shall see.

Wow, cool story and build! Turbo Blue will look awesome with the new wheels and carbon fiber hatch. I also noticed my favorite local performance tuning shop in the very sweet pics, Boostin' Performance... yay go Boostin!

Thanks for posting this MB! Always love watching the progress of trboblu! You actually inspired me to finally make a build thread for mine LOL. Looks great so far!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back