The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Transmission issues with my 94 AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

standard235

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 10, 2008
Washington, Illinois
Problem: car grinds in the 1-2 upshift and 2-3 upshift. I can downshift all day long except for 1st when rolling and it will never grind.

Trans: Stage 2 TRE Tranny
Clutch: Clutchmaster FX400 6 puck
Flywheel: Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel

Pedal is adjusted, new OEM slave which stiffened the pedal a ton. Guess I should do a new master but it's not necessary for now.

Seems like a disengagement issue but could I downshift to 2nd at 45mph with that kind of issue?

Also heard it could be a linkage adjustment issue. I'm ordering the rubberized bushings that mount the shift cable bracket to the trans, since I lost mine and it centers that bracket. Also going to order the bushings to rebuild the shifter to like new. Going to change the MT90 that is in the tranny early and keep trying to adjust and tweak.

Oh and my shift cable that controls forward and back movement of the shifter (to actually go into gear) doesn't have an adjustment collar, so I removed the rubber bumper per Jon Ripple's instruction, so it's not an adjustment issue or lack of travel.

Thanks in advance for reading.

Zach

Hrm.. Don't want to throw out Synchros.

To test, with the CLUTCH OUT, not pressed in, slowly press your shifter towards 1-st, then 2-nd, then 3rd. If the engine bogs down as you ease towqards each good.. GOOD SYNCHROS. If the Trans just grinds without the enging bogging down... bad synchros.

Now, what you'd LIKE to hear.

Bleed the Slave
Check the Master Cyl
Does the clutch feel like it's disengaging really close to the floorboard?
Check your Shift-Fork. It may be bent

Get the basics done before anyone can say " YOU HAVE SHOT SYNCHROS! "

Disengages a few inches off the floor, close to 4 I would say.

Master doesnt leak, slave did so I replaced. Syncros are amazing. Did I mention this trans is brand new from TRE with 190 miles on it?

Full of Redline MT-90.

Brand new OEM clutch fork, pivot ball, and throwout bearing. New OEM seals all around installed by TRE.

It's weird. It's only 2nd and 3rd. I can go 7k in 3rd and 4th gear is smooth as ever. Which is why I wonder if it is an adjustment issue.

Well since noone seems to know, I guess I get to just wait and call Jon at tre on monday

Have you been able to get a hold of Jon? I've been trying to email him for some time and have received no answer, with no ability to leave a VM. I need to follow-up on a tranny for which I OK'd mods. If you reach him, can you let me know by sending me a PM and I can reply with details. TIA.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back