The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Transmission issues, please help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbgriffin

Proven Member
Jun 14, 2017
Lewiston, Idaho
So my 1g DSM fwd is starting to have some significant shifting issues. Locking me out of 1st, crunchy shifts, etc. So I'm sure my synchro's are trashed. Also I should state, I've replaced all my clutch hydraulics with new OEM. Made sure I've bled the piss out of it. Also have changed my transmission fluid twice with redline mt90, then decide to try mt-85. Trying to wish the problem away. But it's getting worse. Also it's a lot worse when the car is cold, gets better after 10-15min of driving. So I was thinking about trying my luck with rebuilding, but after reading the vfaq's write-up, no way I'm signing up for that. So where can I find a decent used, or remanufactured f5m33 transmission for a descent price? Thanks.

Yeah I've tried til I'm blue in the face. Probably 15 times, doing small adjustments. I've tried Jafro's method, Jack's transmissions way, and several others I've read. Never can get it exceptable. So the only other variable is I'm regretting my clutch choice. At the time I was pretty broke, and decided to go with an XTD stage 2 clutch. Big mistake I know. So is it possible that my garbage clutch could be causing me grief? I'm considering buying an exedy OEM replacement, what's your thoughts on this? Also keep in mind I'm only wanting 250-275whp, and would like to have a lighter, easier to use clutch.

Test for clutch drag. Then you will know.

Btw rebuilding isnt as hard as you think. If you feel good with your mechanical abilities its not bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tested the pedal assembly, there's really no play. I think it always had a stock clutch, so didn't wear out anything. And I tried the clutch drag test several months ago, I guess I should try it again since I just replaced my hydraulics. I really feel like my garbage XTD clutch might be contributing to the issue. Since day one I've had nothing but problems with it. Engagement is near impossible to master, always shudders hard, rarely can find that sweet spot. It's definitely the worst clutch I've ever used, really kicking myself for going cheap.
But I'm thinking of trying my luck with the overhaul. I know I'll have to hire out on parts of it, I don't have a press or several tools needed. Also the end play is critical I understand, so I'll go to my trusted machinist for all that. Hopefully I'm not getting in over my head. I've rebuilt several engines, never any transmissions .

I think this sound more like a clutch issue than the tranny. I didn't see any mention of your flywheel & step height or clutch fork position in this thread. When you installed your XTD what step height did you measure &, per the different video & clutch methods, where your clutch fork position in the bell housing window?

I've tested the pedal assembly, there's really no play. I think it always had a stock clutch, so didn't wear out anything. And I tried the clutch drag test several months ago, I guess I should try it again since I just replaced my hydraulics. I really feel like my garbage XTD clutch might be contributing to the issue. Since day one I've had nothing but problems with it. Engagement is near impossible to master, always shudders hard, rarely can find that sweet spot. It's definitely the worst clutch I've ever used, really kicking myself for going cheap.
But I'm thinking of trying my luck with the overhaul. I know I'll have to hire out on parts of it, I don't have a press or several tools needed. Also the end play is critical I understand, so I'll go to my trusted machinist for all that. Hopefully I'm not getting in over my head. I've rebuilt several engines, never any transmissions .
If you've done motors you're qualified to do this. Still sounds like clutch.

I think this sound more like a clutch issue than the tranny. I didn't see any mention of your flywheel & step height or clutch fork position in this thread. When you installed your XTD what step height did you measure &, per the different video & clutch methods, where your clutch fork position in the bell housing window?
When I had my flywheel resurfaced I asked for .610 if I remember correctly, not sure how close he got to this though. And the fork looks like it's positioned well, close to center. Maybe a few mm towards the drivers side. So I didn't shim the pivot ball. So I'm considering pulling my trans again, replacing the XTD for exedy, an OEM throw out bearing, and making sure the flywheel is setup correctly. But it's gonna suck if that doesn't fix it, then I'm still in the same boat. Just a few hundred dollars broker. What do you guys think?

If it isnt dragging then its probably not the clutch. If you drop trans open it and inspect the hubs and synchros

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back