The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Trans Temp Gauge

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When tapping your transmission for a temp gauge sender , you can either drill and tap the pan or tap the rubber lines going in or out of the cooler ( if its external) but why is it recommended that you tap the return line from the cooler? (automatic)
Its not, it more useful to know if your trans is about to overheat than it is to know the temp after the cooler....So tapping the fluid out is best...:thumb:

Same I have my taped when its headed out to see the hottest temps. Works great, I just taped it into the line. Had some issues with the sender reading all across the guage at first but it worked itself out after about a week.

I have my temperature sensor tee'd off in the fluid line just before the cooler. I personally feel that knowing the temperature of the fluid coming out of the transmission, before cooling, is more important than after.

Neither way is wrong, I like my placement better:D

Mine resembles this installation...

Attachments

• stm_dsm_auto_transmission_cooler_kit2.jpg
    stm_dsm_auto_transmission_cooler_kit2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,362
I would like to see some install pics as well. It makes more sense to me to have the temp of the fluid going out rather than after the cooler. STM's kit is really nice but I feel like you could piece one together yourself for a fraction of the price, any thoughts?

The probe for the temp sensor must be grounded, if its put with a rubber line on each side, a ground wire must be added to work accurately...I have no wire on mine because its grounded through the metal fittings and cooler mount.....

Attachments

• cooler 001.jpg
    cooler 001.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 526
I would like to see some install pics as well. It makes more sense to me to have the temp of the fluid going out rather than after the cooler. STM's kit is really nice but I feel like you could piece one together yourself for a fraction of the price, any thoughts?

Mine was a B&M cooler, some starlite hoses and 4 an fittings. That good info that the sender blocks needs to be grounded.

Just to follow up.
You can tap either line going to the oil cooler. The feed line will tell you your transmission temperature and the return will tell you your cooled oil temperature (post oil cooler)
The reason it is a good idea to tap the return in is because
1) At speed you can view your fluid return temperature and you can tell if your cooler is doing a good job
2) While idle, your gauge will raise in value because there is little to no flow through the heat exchanger. This value is very close to your transmission operating temperature.
2 Birds with one stone.

See pic in post #11...
Use some fittings and mount the T to the cooler IN or OUT ....This way it will be grounded also..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back