The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

tow hooks

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smknem

Probationary Member
Sep 13, 2011
Ft. McMurray, AB_Canada
Anyone have a racing tow hook on their DSM? And if so. Where did you mount it? My Talon's engine is blown and to move it around (without tearing the front bumper cover off) I would like a tow hook. Something that looks cool and functional.
Thanks.

Finesse49ers - The tow hook is to pull the car to a location where the car can then be properly towed, either on a flatbed, dollies, etc. Think getting out of gravel pits, down a ditch, on soft ground... places a tow truck can't go to load the car but can use a line to pull the car to a better location. This is mandatory on track cars (well, unless you're ok with the tow truck driver strapping to anything he feels like, which they will do). It's not for long distance towing.

My front tow-hook unfortunately mounts to a custom metal bumper so that's not going to help you much, but if you want to look at that I think I have a picture in my gallery. I personally haven't seen any stock DSMs mount one up front and I can't see an easy place to do that if you have an FMIC... maybe one welded/bolted into the radiator cross support on the side that comes out through the bumper cover. You might be able to bolt one through the oem bumper, or even use a fabric tow strap looped around it, and then extending out the front bumper cover.

eclipsegsx1736 has one mounted on his strut tower coming out vertically:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Dsm's are not honda's we don't need town hitches we need flatbed tow trucks.:p

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding what a the OP is really talking about.

OP: You really dont need one.. Unless you're going to dedicate the car to strictly track usage.. Or just be original and make one yourself.. Just check google and came up with a few different pics..

Before someone starts trashing this, I fully intend on using them. This will be a track car. Now...does anyone make a good tow hook for a 2g? Front and back. I'd like to not have to cut holes for it unless its necessary. I have been looking, and all I see so far is universal ones.

Thanks for any assistance.

i have seen them on 2g's but im not sure how its done or if you need to modify but i looked and these seem to be pretty good hooks from amazon. there are cheaper ones on ebay. if you google 2g eclipse tow hooks there are install threads you can read.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-Talon-3000GT-Aluminum-Towing/dp/B0057YCLG0]Eclipse Talon 4G63 4G64 1G 2G 3G 3000GT Aluminum Towing Rear Tow Hook Kit in Blue : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

I'm looking into one myself. It's not just for a race track!! My engine is pooched and to move it from place to place (without ripping fascia off) it's very handy. Besides I don't feel like laying on the ground to install straps if I don't have too.

I should add some experience with tow hooks. I would strongly suggest they be mounted on the front of the car and down low because I've seen plenty of tow trucks whose winches are low and near the base of the flatbed. While it's fine pulling the car from a distance, and starting up the flatbed, as you get closer the angle between the winch and the tow hook increases. This would mean the rope/cable is going to possible start smacking your hood if you have it mounted on the strut tower. I don't know about you but I'd rather avoid that.

I remembered this because I recalled the last time my car was pulled onto a flatbed the winch as it pulled the car right up to it tightened up so much at an angle that it actually slightly bent my previously horizontal tow hook downwards. Not enough to bother me but I could see it.

best way to go is make & weld one on.

Stock rear, fiberglass front bumper. Had to trim the front support to fit the wider mouth/IC piping.

Tow hook on DSM
Another thread on this topic.

Is front/back of your car stock or tubular? What about factory bumpers (reinforcements, not the plastic covers), are they removed?

i have seen them on 2g's but im not sure how its done or if you need to modify but i looked and these seem to be pretty good hooks from amazon. there are cheaper ones on ebay. if you google 2g eclipse tow hooks there are install threads you can read.

Eclipse Talon 4G63 4G64 1G 2G 3G 3000GT Aluminum Towing Rear Tow Hook Kit in Blue : Amazon.com : Automotive

Yeah, it says those are made for a honda.

It all depends where you put the tow hook for aesthetically pleasing results but if I were to install a tow hook I would just weld one on probably by the lower side by the fog light

Just took these pics over the weekend at Homestead Speedway.

Every car has to have one front and rear, remember these are race cars and looks do not matter that much,
I personally prefer the straps, saves your knees when trying to get around car in a hurry.

Attachments

• SAM_0835.jpg
    SAM_0835.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 585
  • SAM_0659.jpg
    SAM_0659.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 384
  • SAM_0832.jpg
    SAM_0832.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 316
  • SAM_0831.jpg
    SAM_0831.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 367
  • SAM_0834.jpg
    SAM_0834.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 342
  • SAM_0836.jpg
    SAM_0836.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 349
  • SAM_0656.jpg
    SAM_0656.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 297
  • SAM_0837.jpg
    SAM_0837.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 377
I have front and back tow hooks. Pics are in my gallery.

Good morning.
I was just wondering about those tow
Hooks .where did you get them.
And I aslo noticed the front strut stabilizer bar. I've been looking for 1 of those Also. It looks like a single straight bar??

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back