The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Tob Failed I Think!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayRolla

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2006
Colorado Spring, Colorado
Im really upset at the moment. I installed my used TOB (maybe 8000 miles) about 10,000 miles ago and I think it went out.

For a little bit the clutch would just release hard when I was barely letting out. It also felt like the clutch peddle would stick sometimes to the floor and then come up just fine. I also would get a hissing noise from the bearing.

It stuck yesterday right before the tranny stopped shifting. Now it wont go into any gear unless I start it in that gear. Has a loud bearing noise when clutch is in and its in gear. The clutch still grabs.

Sound like the TOB???

Im going to be pulling the tranny today, so my day is going to be fun fun.

I'm in the middle of a very similiar problem (in fact I'm sitting at about 8-10k miles with this bearing too, creepy...). I pulled the tranny and it appears as though the TOB bound up on the shaft, also I believe the spring/clip holding it to the fork came out. It was still in the TOB but the pins weren't in the fork.

What kind of TOB do you have? I'm not sure what kind is in there, but it was all metal so I'm assuming its a parts store bearing. ack.

Yea mine was all metal and thats what made me scared. After I finished installing I was then told the metal ones are no good. So im half way through the tranny removal right now and hope its just the bearing.

Turned out that the friction disk springs failed for no reason. It was from over powering so we thought my input shaft on the tranny was bent. I had a pro inspect it and its fine. We actually have no reason to why it failed.

This happened to me 2 weeks ago. My TOB siezed (sp) and caused the input shaft to stop. Every time I started the car and while in neutral the car would die on me, like stall out. Luckily I had a reputable DSM'er here and he is taking it apart now. Says that he's only heard of this problem but it was probably b/c the tob was installed incorrectly. Terrible but it lasted me 30k miles. An exedy clutch is going in now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back