The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Tire Size Recommendation Request

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIRE SIZE RECOMMENDATION REQUEST FORM

Please answer the following questions when requesting tire size recommendations.

1. My car is a:
b) 2g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 17
Width:8.5
Offset: 30 or 40?

3. My current or future suspension height will be lowered
c) 1.5 - 2 inches

4. If suspension is lowered,
a) Rear camber will be adjusted to less than 1° negative.

5. Rear fender flange rolling:
a) My fenders are rolled or will be if necessary.

6. My driving style is:
b) Street only, but I like to feel secure on twisty roads.

7. I have searched for and read the FAQ's, Tech Articles, and threads on wheel and tire fitment:
a) Yes, but I just need someone with experience to validate my choices.

Just wondering if i can get away with +40 or if i need to do +30 with a 245/40.

1. My car is a:
b) 2gb DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Currently running stock 195/70-14's but just bought some Evo 8 wheels which are 17x8" with a 38 offset, so I'm looking for tires for those. I was thinking of going with the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2's but I'm not sure if that'll be a problem or not fitting under wheel well. See spec's below.

The specs on the Comp-2's are as the following:
BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2
Section Width- 9.3"
Tread Width- 9.1"
Overall Diameter- 25.4"
Also, take note that this particular tire has a square sidewall/tread, oppose to most tires having a rounded look.

e) Stock RS ride height. Might lower an inch or so down the road.

e) (not lowered) but Rear Camber will be roughly -1.6* on stock ride height. Front Camber will be about -.75*

b) I will not roll the fenders.

6. My driving style is:
b) Street only, but I LOVE to feel secure on TWISTY roads.

7. I have searched for and read the FAQ's, Tech Articles, and threads on wheel and tire fitment:

1. My car is a:
b) 2gb DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Currently running stock 195/70-14's but just bought some Evo 8 wheels which are 17x8" with a 38 offset, so I'm looking for tires for those. I was thinking of going with the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2's but I'm not sure if that'll be a problem or not fitting under wheel well. See spec's below.

The specs on the Comp-2's are as the following:
BFGoodrich#g-Force Sport COMP-2
Section Width- 9.3"
Tread Width- 9.1"
Overall Diameter- 25.4"
Also, take note that this particular tire has a square sidewall/tread, oppose to most tires having a rounded look.

e) Stock RS ride height. Might lower an inch or so down the road.

e) (not lowered) but Rear Camber will be roughly -1.6* on stock ride height. Front Camber will be about -.75*

6. My driving style is:
b) Street only, but I LOVE to feel secure on TWISTY roads.

A 235/45/17 will fit.

I'd like to know how these different manufacturers figure out their tire sizes. My Falkens measured pretty much deadon at the sidewall indicated width of 225. My new goodyear eagle gt all seasons measure 235 at sidewall indicated width of 225. Because of that I stayed with 225s on my 17X8 OZ wheels. Why the big variation?
Funny jtmcinder that people don't have to listen to since you're not a mod. Even tho you a wiseman and definitively one of the authorities on suspension and handling for DSMs. Lordy. SMH.

Truthfully, dealing with the Eagle GT's on a daily basis, they're just made wider then an average tire. We compared a 225/40/18 Falken 912 to a 225/40/18 Eagle GT and the difference was quite noticable. It was closer to the 235/245 range then a 225. Great tires though for an all-season. :)

Please keep in mind that what that number is supposed to tell you is the sidewall width, not the tread width. And it's the sidewall width on a certain rim width, as well. The most accurate values for a huge range of tires is available on Tire Rack's site.

I'm really confused when looking for Hoosier Drag Slicks since their sizes go by the inch. I want to run a 225/50or55/16 on my 16x8 FD Wheels.

What size Hoosier would suit my 1995 GSX on a 1.5" drop ( I have coilovers so I can raise if need be). Im assuming 26x9.5 or something close to that?

Last edited:
1. My car is a:
b) 2ga DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 18
Width: 7.5
Offset: 42

b) One to 1.5 inches

b) Rear camber will be adjusted to within 1° to 1.5° negative.

6. My driving style is:
c) Street and Strip.

Currently have 225/40/18 right now but thinking about going 235/40/18 on my next set. Looking at the numbers they should fit since the tire will be around 5mm closer to the suspension. My other question is should I stick with the 225 and buy a better quality tire or go with a slightly less expensive 235's for the same price.

Last edited:
1. My car is a:
2g DSM

2. My wheel size is: 16
Diameter: __205___
Width: ___55__
Offset: __16___

Stock suspension

I will not roll the fenders.

6. My driving style is:
Street only, with no special performance requirements. ( Daily Driver )

b) No, I just want someone to tell me what to do.

Ok so I would like to know if the rims are bad for the car?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I noticed my strut leak / oil I have the struts already, just need to get the boots and bushings etc.. will be replacing those when I get a chance / $!!!!

These are the rims my RS has. Are they affecting the arm next to the tire at all or no? Like should I be using these rims? I have been looking into changing the rims, but I am not sure yet. Please don't flame me on the rims, I didn't buy them, they came with the CAR!
CADILLAC OEM RIMS CADILLAC FACTORY WHEELS STOCK RIM CHROME REPLICA WHEEL USED RIMS CADILLAC Wheels CADILLAC OEM RIMS CADILLAC FACTORY WHEELS STOCK RIM CHROME REPLICA WHEEL USED RIMS CADILLAC Rims

Quick question since I am looking at getting rims, would Evo rims affect the arm next to the tire? size 17/18 rims? Just want to be fed information if so/not.

RESOLVED

Last edited:
1. My car is a:
a) 1g DSM
b) 2g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Evo 17" Enkeis, Dual Spoke

a) One inch or less
b) One to 1.5 inches
c) 1.5 - 2 inches
d) More than 2 inches.

c) Rear camber will be more than 1.5° negative.

6. My driving style is:
a) Street only, with no special performance requirements.
c) Street and Strip.
d) Street and Autocross.
e) Other

b) No, I just want someone to tell me what to do

1. My car is a:
a) 1g DSM
b) 2g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: ___17__
Width: __7___
Offset: ___42 or 45__
They are Tenzo DC6 v1 17x7
https://www.wheelfire.com/scontent/WheelDetails.cfm?IDNumber=dc6_black1&SKU=7975

b) One to 1.5 inches

c) Rear camber will be more than 1.5° negative.

6. My driving style is:
a) Street only, with no special performance requirements.
c) Street and Strip.
d) Street and Autocross.
e) Other

b) No, I just want someone to tell me what to do.

I want the Tenzo DC6 v1 17x7 rims with all season tires that will be good for summer and winter. I want a beefy tire not some tall and skinny thing.

I was looking into 245/40r17 or possibly 235/40r17
The tires that I have found that I like are
Eagle Gt's
ExtremeContact DWS
I want some that will last long and do well in summer, snow and ice.
Thanks for the help.

I want the Tenzo DC6 v1 17x7 rims with all season tires that will be good for summer and winter. I want a beefy tire not some tall and skinny thing.

One of those two desires has to be let go. You can't put 245s or any other "beefy"-width tire on a 7"-wide wheel.

The Continental ExtremeContact DWS's are a great tire. I've driven a car with them through some rain and snow and they performed very well. I've also read some great reviews on them from many people around the forums I'm on.

Jtoby hit the size issue already, so you'll have to base your size on the wheel you want to use.

225 is OK-ish, but I'd stop at 215 or get different wheels, myself. DSM are pretty heavy and most people go to wider wheels.

The DWS is great, I agree, but Kumho ASTs are also good and a bit cheaper.

I am having a difficult time finding wheels in a 17x8 size LOL. Maybe you can suggest some? I would like a 5 or 6 spoke but will consider an 8 spoke, with a black, gunmetal or bronze finish.

I have searched and most of the ones I can see are a 17x7 or 17x7.5 and it seems impossible to just look at rims without entering in a car.

+45 is pushing it. The top-inside shoulder of the rear tires will be very close if not touching the knuckle, depending on the specific tires you run. This could force you to run spacers. I'd keep looking. You really want the offset to be between +38 and +40 for minimal fender work, lower is possible if you're willing to pull the fenders, instead of just roll the lip.

I never knew wheel and tire shopping was so difficult LOL.
Anyways I have some that I think I like and hopefully work per the recommendations.

I loaded some different vehicles into tire rack and I found a wheel for a 94 Nizzan 300zx that has 17x8 with +38mm offset 5x114.3 bolt pattern. Not sure why these are not displayed for a 98 eclipse gsx.
Enkei Falcons 17x8 +38mm offset

Then there is the Enkei SR6 17x7.5 with +40mm offset. They are not 17x8 so idk if these will be good for the recommended tire.
Enkei SR6

and lastly there are Enkei LS-5 18x8 +40mm offset bigger than the 17 so I am kinda shying away from these although I like the looks of them.
Enkei Performance LS-5 Black Painted

There are plenty of 17x7.5 that I like but I was trying to stay in the 17x8 and just doesn't seem to be too many that are 5-9 spoke that I enjoy. LOL

Thanks for your time.

PS I will be using the Kuhmo AST you recommended. 245/40/17 once I decide on a wheel.

And do you really want to go that wide with a tire in the winter?

Why don't you look at running a dedicated summer set while putting a dedicated winter tire on the stockers?

Compromising sucks when it comes to tires. You end up with a tire that leaves you disappointed 90% of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point. A 245 AST would be deadly on snow. I didn't look at where he or she was from.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back