The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Tire Size Recommendation Request

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90Eclipseturbo

Probationary Member
Nov 2, 2004
Union, New_Jersey
Please copy this form and answer the questions when you request tire size recommendations:

TIRE SIZE RECOMMENDATION REQUEST FORM

Please answer the following questions when requesting tire size recommendations.

1. My car is a:
a) 1g DSM
b) 2g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: _____
Width: _____
Offset: _____

3. My current or future suspension height will be lowered
a) One inch or less
b) One to 1.5 inches
c) 1.5 - 2 inches
d) More than 2 inches.

4. If suspension is lowered,
a) Rear camber will be adjusted to less than 1° negative.
b) Rear camber will be adjusted to within 1° to 1.5° negative.
c) Rear camber will be more than 1.5° negative.

5. Rear fender flange rolling:
a) My fenders are rolled or will be if necessary.
b) I will not roll the fenders.

6. My driving style is:
a) Street only, with no special performance requirements.
b) Street only, but I like to feel secure on twisty roads.
c) Street and Strip.
d) Street and Autocross.
e) Other

7. I have searched for and read the FAQ's, Tech Articles, and threads on wheel and tire fitment:
a) Yes, but I just need someone with experience to validate my choices.
b) No, I just want someone to tell me what to do.

What is the normal tire size for a 17x7 with 40 offset wheel? And what is the maximum size tire? This is for a fwd 1g, Thanks.

The max tire size is just what the tire shop says will fit on the rim. Go and ask that.

You will probably be alright with the maximum width tire when the rim is only 7 inches wide. If you rub a bit, spacers are your friend. Some people do not like the idea of the spacers but I've had no issues with them.

90Eclipseturbo said:
What is the normal tire size for a 17x7 with 40 offset wheel? And what is the maximum size tire? This is for a fwd 1g, Thanks.

Recommended tire widths are from 205 to 225 for that size wheel.

Two suggestions. Question #4 should be a bit clearer: (a) under 1*, (b) 1* to 1.5*, and (c) more than 1.5*. Questions #5 should not have the cop-out. Rather, the questions can point to threads that explain the terms.

Otherwise, this would help a lot. Great idea.

- Jtoby

Changes made. What do you think about the copout option in question 7? I think it will tell us something about the interest/motivation level of the questioner.

FORMONTOYA said:
My answer is 7B..."I just want someone to tell me what to do." :beatentodeath:

But seriously...we need a few more request forms like this....turbo, exhaust, clutch, fuel, etc selection.

Go for it.

I orginially posted something similar kind of as a joke in the Newbie forum, but I think this could save everyone a lot of confusion and frustration.

Can't we just replace 7b with 245/40/17 on 17x8 +40 and call it a day? ;)

- Jtoby

I recently picked up a set of 16x8 RX-7 wheels for my 2g FWD, I'm not sure of the stock offset on these wheels. I've tried to search around for some answers but couldnt find anything specific. The car is currently lowered maybe an inch with GR-2s and Tein springs.

So my question is what size of slicks or drag radials would be best to put on them and if I would need any sort of spacers? I was lookin at ET streets around 245/40/16, but I dont want to go and buy these expensive tires for them not to fit.

AuntiesTSI said:
I recently picked up a set of 16x8 RX-7 wheels for my 2g FWD, I'm not sure of the stock offset on these wheels. I've tried to search around for some answers but couldnt find anything specific

That question is answered in the VFAQs

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/macross/2Gfitment.html

Which generation RX-7 wheels did you get?

AuntiesTSI said:
So my question is what size of slicks or drag radials would be best to put on them and if I would need any sort of spacers? I was lookin at ET streets around 245/40/16, but I dont want to go and buy these expensive tires for them not to fit.

If you can get more data on the tires, like the overal diameter, etc. You can easily use a tire calculator to figure out whether they will fit.

Short answer, yes they can be made to fit. It would be easier, however, if you got a wheel with an offset less than 40mm. 35mm would be good. If you run spacers, I'm not sure how big a spacer you will need, and depending on that, you might need longer wheel studs.

Ny personal opinion, get a wheel with a better offset.

I have 18 rims / tires and I've been contimplating on going back to a smaller wheel.

I know that the 18" gives me more street grip but they also weigh about 50lbs each. I was wondering if i went smaller/lighter with the same quality tires would it make a huge difference in traction? Will I spin too much since the tires are now lighter and skinnier?

DsmKid98GST said:
I know that the 18" gives me more street grip

I don't know who told you that WTF

Get familiar with the search function, and do a search on "rotational mass" . You will find all the answers to your question. Here are two threads to get you started.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132950&highlight=rotational+mass

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12210&highlight=rotational+mass

DsmKid98GST said:
Will I spin too much since the tires are now lighter and skinnier?

That has more to do with your ability to modulate the throttle and control the friction point of the clutch than what size wheel and tire you are running. Typically when diagnosing a handling problem, you want to evaluate yourself first and make sure you aren't doing something to cause the problem.

Thank you for the pointers. I attempted to do a search function but I guess i was using the wrong key words.

Rx3 said:
I don't know who told you that WTF

Just some amateurs I asked before coming to the boards. Suspension and handling is my weak point when it comes to cars.

1) 1G
2) 17 INCHES
8 WIDTHS
31 OFFSET
3) C (I own right now Megan racing lowering springs and kyb gray shocks I will be upgrading to the Megan racing coil over kit after I get feedback on performance)
4) B
5) A
6) B (mostly highways with wide turns) (this is not Japan)
7) A & B

Notes: I would like to put 235/40/17 all around but I think it would be too wide for the front
I don't want my wheels to stick out and I don't like my wheels fully tuck in I heard that I can probably offset them but the car is awd. Maybe 215/45/17 for the front. 235/40/17 for the rear. I also own the ingall camber kit for the rear

Here is a link for the rims I bought:

http://www.edgeracing.com/wheel/2453/

http://www.edgeracing.com/images/wheel/black_racing_pro_n1_(bronze)_front_zoom.jpg

LONEWOLF01 said:
1) 1G
2) 17 INCHES
8 WIDTHS
31 OFFSET
3) C (I own right now Megan racing lowering springs and kyb gray shocks I will be upgrading to the Megan racing coil over kit after I get feedback on performance)
4) B
5) A
6) B (mostly highways with wide turns) (this is not Japan)
7) A & B

Notes: I would like to put 235/40/17 all around but I think it would be too wide for the front
I don't want my wheels to stick out and I don't like my wheels fully tuck in I heard that I can probably offset them but the car is awd. Maybe 215/45/17 for the front. 235/40/17 for the rear. I also own the ingall camber kit for the rear

Here is a link for the rims I bought:

http://www.edgeracing.com/wheel/2453/

http://www.edgeracing.com/images/wheel/black_racing_pro_n1_(bronze)_front_zoom.jpg

This should be in a separate thread.

(mostly highways with wide turns) (this is not Japan)

An offset of +31 for a 17x8 is very low. They will stick out pretty far, you're better off with an offset around +40. Do NOT stagger tire sizes, and for god's sake don't put skinnier tires in the front. With that kind of offset, pretty much no matter what you run will rub if the car's low. While you can run 235/40, it's not the correct diameter and will throw off the speedo. 235/45 is closer to stock.

Largest recommended tire on an 8" wide wheel is 245. As eclipsegsx1736 suggested, a 31 offset will bring the wheel out closer to the fender and away from the suspension control arms and may encounter some rubbing issues with a tire that wide. You may need a smaller width tire (215-235) to get it to tuck properly or add fender flares or setup a non tuck suspension.

so what size tires i should put on 235/45/17? l know the back is fine i was worry about the front. if you gurus say it will fit with minimial rubbing its fine i just don't ### to put 215 as edgeracing suggested. know any good cheap tire places from where i can buy them at.

I had a nice long post, but I lost it. So here's the short and sweet (and somewhat harsh)

If I bought 17x8 I would want to run the 245 they were designed for, plain and simple. Now to decide if you want wheels that fit or those that rub/stick out. Going to a smaller diameter tire and keeping the chassis high will aid in not rubbing. Other than that your looking into fender flares. Smaller width tires such as a 215 or 225 will clear under the fenders. I can't say for certain which will rub and wont, cars are different and suspension height/spring rates vary, but what it is a high posibility with a 245 and maybe even a 235 will rub.

Edge Racing is a good place to start. TireRack has some sweet deals every once in a while. And places like http://www.bmwwheels.com/bmwwheels_toyo_tires.asp have low prices on race tires.

I hope you guys giving advice know something about 1g fitment.

I bought a set of 17x8" wheels with +35 offset mounted on 245/45/17 tires for my 1g awd. They stick out almost an inch past the fender. Forget about getting your wheels to tuck unless you run the narrowest tire possible and lots of negative camber. To get enough negative camber, you will need coilovers and camber plates. Otherwise, if you get those Megan coilovers, you should be able to adjust the spring rate high enough so that the suspension doesn't travel enough for the tires to reach the fender. If you can't achieve a high enough spring rate, then you'll need to get a set of springs with a higher rate than Megan's.

Bottom line: if I were you, I would sell those wheels and get the right offset. I was in the same boat as you when I bought the aforementioned wheels, and after much research and thinking, I finally decided to sell them. If you're switching to coilovers, you can clear a 245/40/17 on a 17x8 +40 mm. It comes super close, but I've seen it done and they tuck even with the car lowered a LOT. You will probably need to roll the fenders, too, but that's a simple task you shouldn't worry about.

I've got Evo 8 wheels on my car running Khumo Exta ASX 245/45/17 tires. My front tires poked out about 1.5" when I put them on. I rolled my fenders and bent them out a bit with a 2x4 prying against the wheel and the tires now tuck enough to avoid rubbing even during Auto-X. The tread on my tires was already low when I bought the set so a new tire might still rub. The tires still stick out about 1/2" when the car is sitting. I'll likely be throwing fender flares on sometime next summer to make my setup work and may drop down to a 235/45.

<---- Evo 8 245/45/17 NOT rubbing during hard cornering after heavily tweaking my fenders. This was on #4 setting for AGX struts and Eibach Pro Kit springs. 245's look bitchin' on a little ol' 1g!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back