The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Timing Gear Adjustment Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnetwork

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 25, 2006
New Milford, New_Jersey
So I finally am adjusting my cam gears. I started off with +4 and -4 (exhaust/intake). Adjustment went fine, but now I'm getting noise (a whine sort of) from the cam gear area and my timing belt is tighter than it was before. Is it possible the belt is tighter now and causing noise? If so, how would this happen? Other than this the car is fine.

Personally, if I had any doubts I would go ahead and just pull the timing cover and verify correct tension by measuring the hydraulic tensioner rod.

I don't know if adjusting the cam gears affects tension but your description suggests that it might. You've got me curious about this now.

Personally, if I had any doubts I would go ahead and just pull the timing cover and verify correct tension by measuring the hydraulic tensioner rod.

I don't know if adjusting the cam gears affects tension but your description suggests that it might. You've got me curious about this now.

It really would make zero sense to me. I just loosened the nuts on the gear and turned the cams 4 degrees each using a wrench on the cam gear bolt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back