The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Timing belt off by one tooth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obx tsi

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 1, 2005
Manteo, North_Carolina
I have found that my timing belt appears to be off by one tooth. Not sure how this happened but I plan on fixing it. I would just like some advice on what all to change when I do this and what are some good parts to use. Should I go all oem or mix with aftermarket. I am also wondering would it be a good idea to replace the head gasket while I have everything apart? This is a daily driver and I hate to have it down for very long but will do what I have to to make sure it stays in good running condition. Suggestions please. If their is a recent thread about this then please just post and I will read it. Thanks.

Just go oem when replacing it.

I'd advise getting a new tensioner pulley, new water pump, and - well overall new timing components.

Sure you could save money and re-use some things but really, if any of them fail - you could completely destroy your motor.

The risk just isnt worth it.

No need to do the head gasket if its not blown. I would do maybe a front main seal and a balance shaft belt (if you still have it.)

Was assuming all oem. Plan to do balance shaft elimanation. I was thinking of putting on my 1g head and intake while I had all of this apart. Am I maybe making more problems by doing this or what. Thanks for the replies.

All depends on what you are doing. If your just trying to get the car back on the road the id just to the belts and what not. You dont have to take the head off to do the timing belt so if it were me id just do what was easy and left stuff like head swap for a time when the engine would be out of the car.

I did a timing belt job on my vr4, took maybe a couple hours to do. I took off the motor mount and loosned the belts pulleys and cover than worked from there, hardest part is to get everything lined up perfect.
-Shane

Yea its not hard at all. I had it done in a few hours also. Got everything lined up the first time. Just when you are lining things up take your time. Just remove your wheel, harmonic balancer, water pump pully, belts, the driver motor mount, and the timing cover and your at the t belt.

Not to take a step backwards, but are you sure the timing belt is off a tooth? Usually this will make them run bad. Is yours indeed running poorly? What made you check the timing belt?

When I got my car it was off 1 tooth on one gear. Made it lope like it had a high rise cam in it.

Car would not start. Found battery to be weak, then found that the starter was not working. While I was trying the battery and starter out I noticed that the engine was not rotating. I found that the second time I put the starter in that the engine rotated and did start. Once running I noticed that my vac. was only about 12inhg on my gauge. It is always at about 18-20 and the car was missing. Checked a few things and then looked at the marks on the cam gear and they no longer lined up horizontally. Any thoughts as to why this happened?

Also, I assume that I would change the oil pump front case?

i just replaced my timing belt about a month ago, my shaft balance belt broke, and it bent the plate which broke the crankshaft sensor, and cut the timing belt..... the first time it took me about 2 1/2 hours but i didnt get the timing right, the 2nd time an hour and half, its pretty cake job in most cases, the timing mark for the shaft balance was hard for me.... someone a part of my block broke where the timing mark was so i had to guess, and i think its still off a tooth, it cuts out at idel but drives perfectly fine

Im guessing its the factory belt that should of been changed 40,000 miles ago. Belts can look brand new till the day they break. I would rotate the engine by hand and inspect the teeth on the belt. You may have had a tooth chip or even come completely off and made the belt skip. If nothing is lining up id replace it asap before it breaks in half and destroys the valves and possibly other stuff.

This is why I'll always change my belt every 40-50k despite only recommended at 60k intervals... better to be safe than sorry - especially since it really isnt that hard

spend the extra 16 bucks and get balance shaft belt also, if you dont change it with the timing belt, and it breaks youll have to remove the timing belt again to replace it, although you might end up having to buy another timing belt and a sensor like i did..

I have do timing on these cars in under 45min. Well i just thought about it, i have a balance shaft elim so i dont have to mess with the B belt and getting the oil pump in phase. The best way to check a T belt is to take it off, flip it inside out and check the teeth to make sure they are the right shape (no abnormal wear, usually caused by and idler or tensioner pulley being bad and not riding straight) and that there are no cracks in the rubber. Do a Mitsu timing belt. Something that important should never be skimped on. And i agree with everyone else, REPLACE your B belt!!! Its just dumb to have a $15 part destroy a motor.

One thing you can do is go to Napa and get a Napa Branded belt...they are made by Gates which is as good as or better than OEM quality. They run like...60 ~ 70$.

everyone says the b belt destroys your engine..... mine broke and it still works... i need to eliminate the b belt though! ### thats why my timing isnt still right

the balance shaft belt CAN destroy your engine. It's located right with the timing belt so it's very easy for it to break and interfere with the timing belt and throw it off.. It's a huge risk that just isn't worth taking.

I have a 95 TSI AWD with a 97 engine in it. I had ordered a TB kit off of ebay. It's working just fine at the moment. The only thing it did not include was a new hydro tensioner, and a new water pump. Both of which I'd recommend replacing as well. I did not replace my water pump due to money issues. ie not enough of it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back