The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Timing Belt Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyD

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 13, 2003
Lansing, Michigan
I just purchased a used engine to replace the broken one that was in my car. The guy that I bought it from pulled the timing belt off. I will be buying a new timing belt, however I am not sure exactly how to put it on. I know about lining up all the timing marks, but does it make a difference if the cylinder is on intake, compression, or exhaust? Or will the computer fiqure it out by the cam and crank sensors? Any help is greatly appreciated. If there is anyone in the Lansing, MI area that wouldn't mind helping me out, that would be great as well.

~Matt

Check out vfaq.com . I beleive it will help you out greatly. When I replaced mine I replaced all belts/tensioners/pullies at the same time. My luck would be a new timing belt installed only to have the balance shaft belt break and tangle into the timing belt resulting in a toasted motor. Maybe i'm just paranoid.....Good Luck :dsm: :thumb:

Yup I would DEFINETLY put t belt, b belt and all tensinors on. A failure on any of them is over a $1000 to fix if you take it to a shop. Yup your right about lining up the cam gears. The pistons have to be at TDC also. And one thing to also remmember is to put the oil pump sprocket on the right way. How you do this is the sprocket is connected to the balance shaft. On the back of the block there is a hole. You unscrew the bolt and stick a screwdriver up there. If it fits then its on right. If not you'll have to turn it around. I would recommend you get a Chilton manual. It will tell you how to do it step by step. Good luck :dsm:

I've looked at the vfaq and it makes perfect sense if the timing belt you are replacing is still on the engine. However, my engine doesn't have the belt on it. Which means that each of the cam shafts, the crank, and the balance shafts could all rotate individually. Will this be a problem? If I just make sure that cyl 1 is at TDC and then line up the rest of the timing marks will I be okay? Also, would you recommend that I remove the balance shafts? I am not really worried about the extra vibration, but I have heard from some people that it is a bad idea (reason was that mitsu must have put them in for a reason) I don't imagine that it would be too hard to remove them with the engine out of the car. Sorry if my first post was a little vague. Once again, since all the various shafts (cam, crank balance) have been allowed to rotate individually of each other, will I have any problems if I set cyl 1 to TDC then align the timing marks on the cams and use the screwdriver method on the balance shaft (provided I don't remove them) Thank you once again. Also if there is anyone in the Lansing area that would be willing to help, I would feel much more comfortable if I had someone who knew what they were doing, or had done this before. I feel fairly confident from just read various things (vfaq, chiltons manual) but would like to avoid a costly head rebuild. Once again thank you.

~Matt

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back