The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Timing Belt install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawgedeclipse

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2002
Portland/Gresham_OR
I recently bought a cyclone, finally got around to putting my new belts on it. When i started, i noticed that every place on the net said to put your dowls on the cam bears faching 12 o'clock. However when we pulled the original belt off, I did not do so, and made sure all timing marks were lined up however. I installed all of the new parts, and manually turned the motor over a couple of times to make sure nothing is sticking. When putting the cams to 12 oclock again all of the marks line up just fine. Should i be worried? Should I remove the belt and realign everything with the dowls at the proper 12 oclock?

there are many warnings about how the marks will line up even if they're not at 12 o'clock and they all say to realign. I would, if not the cams are still 180 degrees out. They say to align them at 12 for a reason! :) :thumb:

hrmm, well since nothing was ever turned, and i do mean nothing after the belt was off, would they still be out :confused:. With the new belt on, after turning the motor to TDC all of the marks align properly. If push comes to shove I can remove it not a problem. The motor isnt in the car so it wouldnt be too much of a hassle. Im just wondering if its fine due to the fact that every mark is perfectly aligned when at TDC.

so you're saying you didn't touch the timing when you took off old belt but now when realigning it's all 100% dead on. That's fine if you're sure and the oil pump didn't turn out of phase or anything, that can happen but I'm guessing if it's straight you're fine!

Im prolly the most cautious person when working on this car. More of a perfectionist. Nothing was turned at all, even when removing the crank pully we didnt move it. Ive done this once before on a NT 4g63 and it came out fine, so we followed the same direction with this one. I was just worried, as I would rather not have this motor get f'd up by a mistake that I made. I however have not turned the motor after letting the new hydrolic tensioner sit over night. I will do that tonight.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back