The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

ticking.. lifters or bad afc tuning?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boosted86

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2005
Weston, Florida
I just recently rebuilt my head and when i started her up i noticed a ticking noise under the valve cover. now my afc also got reset(have to get it retuned). I'm not sure if the noise is coming from the lifters that are new and oil just hasn't gotten in them yet, or if the motor is running lean, thus ... TICKING. any help is appreciated.

TICKING anywhere by the head is either lifter tick, or the injectors going thru their cycle. You will know when its the valves.

well for what its worth my experience with the dsm tick is that its dirty valves. my buddy had the same problem and he tore it all apart and cleaned the valves with diesel fuel and said that all kinds off carbon and crap came off but afterwards you could barley here it idle. so if any thing try that i mean really what could it hurt.

:dsm: D-Money

Did your motor tick before? If so, you need to replace the lash adjusters with revised ones (ebay). But if it didn't click before, you probably didn't put the lash adjusters in the same place you took them out which since they all wear a little differently and form better with certain lobes on the cams, that could be your problem.

First try the quick fix of adding Lucas Oil additive or that Lifter click additive. That MIGHT help. You dont wanna take it apart unless you really have to. Im almost sure its just a noisy lifter. It shouldn't affect performance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back