The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Ticking / Knock sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drifter27_04

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 13, 2005
Winston Salem, North_Carolina
Strange thing happened this morning on the way to work and perhaps some of you can throw some ideas out at me.

First...last time driving it was Late Saturday night to a friends house and back. I got on it once but other than that it never seen more than 55mph. When I parked the car it had "good" oil pressure, temps, etc....etc....it than sat since Saturday.

This morning I started the car to let it warm up as it was freaking cold and to warm the motor up. Went to get in after 10mins and seen the temp gauge was still reading lower than normally would and I went on up the road to work noticing knock under a load and hearing a rattling/ticking/knocking noise from the engine so I pulled over to see what it was. When you first start the motor the noise occurs and when you tach up on it it happens. Knock occurs alot when under load it seems. I am confused and dont know what it might be. FYI....it has 10-15psi of oil pressure at idle and when cruising down the road this morning it show 25psi. And no I did not drive the car completely here to work hoping not to do any damage or more damage if there already.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

If I was thinking of a bad spark plug, could this sound like it or what about a wrist pin? A wrist pin would continuously rattle, knock wouldnt it?

My room mates car is doing the exact same thing. Is yours the cylinder closest to the timing belt? I think it's piston slap but we'll be pulling the bearing caps to check.

My room mates car is doing the exact same thing. Is yours the cylinder closest to the timing belt? I think it's piston slap but we'll be pulling the bearing caps to check.

I am not thinking of piston slap as I have never heard of Wiseco doing this, I am not saying that it happens but I personally never heard much about piston slap with Wiseco as I have about JE pistons.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back