The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Ticking from Timing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyline-Tweak

Proven Member
Nov 11, 2012
Kunkletown, Pennsylvania
So I started my car after it sitting for almost a week and noticed a small ticking noise coming from the timing side of the engine. The belt was loose and we found a bad tensioner. We got an original stock on which was longer by a couple mm and installed it. Belt is tight now but I still hear ticking. The harmonic balancer seems to be loose but I can't get it on the crank anymore. Could the balancer be the ticking? How would I get it on more? I can access it from the passenger wheel well. Thank you in advance for any help.

I don't understand about the balancer being loose. 4 bolts hold it on. Shouldn't be any gap and the bolts should be flush. If it wasn't, you would be chewing up the alternator belt.

I have the 420A.. But the balancer sits by the lower part of the timing on the crank on the left side of the engine. It slides over the crank. It's not a lifter. It's coming from the lower timing. The balancer doesn't sit flush with the oil pump like I believe it used to. It sits about 1/4" of an inch away from the timing cover. When the car is running it looks like it wobbles a slight bit. I thought it was wobbling and hitting the timing cover. But at the same time, the last time I heard ticking from there, it was that tensioner.

I have the 420A.. But the balancer sits by the lower part of the timing on the crank on the left side of the engine. It slides over the crank. It's not a lifter. It's coming from the lower timing. The balancer doesn't sit flush with the oil pump like I believe it used to. It sits about 1/4" of an inch away from the timing cover. When the car is running it looks like it wobbles a slight bit. I thought it was wobbling and hitting the timing cover. But at the same time, the last time I heard ticking from there, it was that tensioner.

When I did the timing on my 420a, I got the same noise. It was really loud, coming from the same area as you described. For me, the timing was off a tooth. The good thing about a 420a is it won't bend the valves if you're off just one notch. Check the timing marks on the cam sprockets and report back.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back