The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Throttle Return Spring?? help wismen

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CvicKila02

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 1, 2002
Enfield_CT
Okay i though that my high idle was due to my FIAV, blocked it off nothing different. Tried my BISS nothing. So finally a friend of mine pushed on the Throttle body to the closed position and it idled perfect. So it looks like the throttle return spring doesn't have enough tension to hold shut the TB allowing for some air to go by therefor causing high idle.
I though alright easy fix replace the spring. Well went to every dealer and autostore and no one can get the spring its only offered if you buy the entire TB. So I'm not spending $200+ on a TB when all that is bad on mine is the spring. Can anyone tell me what i can do to increase the tension so that the TB plate will close at idle.

Is the throttle cable adjusted too tightly? Follow it upline and you'll find (2) 10mm bolts and a bracket. Try to loosen it and see if that helps.
Also clean out the TB. Maybe alot of carbon buildup.

Yeah check your throttle cable maybe its too tight?

Also, dont replace the spring just re-tention it.
You have to take off the nut holding it down and you should wrap the small spring around one more time than it usually is. Un do the springs, but observe how they are in place. I think regularly it is 3 turns and the big one is 2 turns. Try any combo you want; big- 2 & small 4 OR big 3 & small 3

I have checked the Tension on the cables that didn't do anything. I took out my entire TB when i did my FIAV blockoff and cleaned it so there is no carbon buildup. To tighten the springs do i need to take off the the entire TB or does the springs come off together when you loosen that nut that holds them on??

Assuming you didn't bind anything up you coul try putting an extra turn on the spring.
http://www.ca.dsm.org/faq/tb-shaftseals.html

Now you see why in the other thread I say that people are quick to go block the FIAV when often it's not the problem.

Steve

To remove the spring do i need to remove the TB again? Or can i just loosen the bolt holding on the spring and pull it off while it is still on the car? Also i know that there is 2 springs can i just tighten the outer spring or do i have to remove both?

tighten the maller spring. You hbave to remove the bigger one to do it.
Can u do trhe work while the tb is on tha car? might be a pain

Definitly not, and that is definitly probably his problem. Like someone said above you need to remove the battery and I also recommend removing the top cover of the black box right infront of the throttle body I believe its a cruise control box its where the main cables are spooled..... just back out the 4 bolts on the throttle body. make sure you remove the coolant lines under the throttle body before trying to yank it out. and when removing, open the throttle halfway so it dont get stuck on the cruise control box. Its not hard to adjust the springs just be carefull when you remove the throttle butterfly. slowly pull it off so the springs dont come flying out everywhere. the inside green spring will be hard to turn so i recommend using the end of a closed wrench to grab at the hooks and turn it carefully if it slips you will be cut pretty bad. Id say turn small green one 3 times like above then the big one 2 times. I had the same problem as you, If you dont have them wounded up tight enough the throttle will leak air and your idle will piss you off. Also why your throttle bodies out it might not hurt to do some test's on your IAC/ and your TPS/ for the correct ohm readings. Vfaq.com has alot of information on that stuff.

I hope that helps
-tom

I'm going to give re winding the spring, one question tho is how do you keep the tension on it if the metal plate ( The thing that holds the throttle cable to the TB) is off? know how the spring hooks onto that metal plate, just kinda wondering how you would be able to keep the tension on both springs and put the plate back on.

Well I explained that in my last post bro, Just use something to attach to the end of the hooks on both springs that after they wound up they hook onto the throttle butterfly where the cable connects to. Just use a small mini wrench or use a small screw driver ... I recently did this to mine it dont take long. Just turn the small green spring first 3 times around and then the outside big one 2 times and you should be set. If in time the throttle body plate digs into the inside of the throttle body itself and sticks then just remove it again and turn each spring 2 times only but i believe you should be fine with 3 turns on the small one and 2 turns on the big one let me know how it goes after your done!

-tom

mastadogg2 said:
If in time the throttle body plate digs into the inside of the throttle body itself and sticks.
The 1G IPS is also the throttle plate stop. Make sure you leave it on even though you use the 2G TPS with it's IPS. That way the butterfly won't dig into the throttle bore.

Steve

ah thats right steve i forgot about that.. thats something my 1g tb dont have i guess i should get one of those.

I would just like to say to whoever started this thread to NOT tighten your small green spring 3 times thats entirely to much i just had to rip my throttle body apart AGAIN and untighten it.. 2 turns for both springs and it was perfect.. I hope you didnt already do this because its not exactly fun removing the throttle body when you have a bolt on the far bottom right side that you cant get to unless you use a wrnech and it takes FOREVER to get it off, because your limited to so much turning space because the fuel rail lines in the way :|

I haven't been able to do this to my car yet. Because my axel fell off while i was driving the other day and its in the shop. I will try only turning the small spring 2 times more around and see what happens.

OUCH bad luck.. no when you remove the throttle body and then take off everything just let it unwind itself.. then turn the inside small green spring 2 times and the outside big one 2 times and youll be as good as new.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back