The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Throttle body wont close

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenuwine4g63

10+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2009
Charlotte, North_Carolina
OK guys. Ive had this problem for a while. My throttle does not want to close. When i drive the car and come to a complete stop my idle goes higher and higher. So after doing some searching and testing simple enough(I thought) my TB is not closing. After a drive it would be idling at about 1500k. While its idling there i can pop the hood and close the the TB manually and it goes back to regular. So today i took the TB apart and cleaned all the gunk carbon and dirt etc out of the TB. Everything seems to be fine. I even backed the fiav screw all the way down(the write up RRE or ams has for it) and it still idles retarded so i know its the TB. What can cause this? Is that nut thats on the spring of the TB in control of the TB plate returning to its normal position. The throttle cable to is also fine i adjusted it correctly and when the plate is not closed all the way at a stop the throttle cable has slack so i know its not the cable. What could it be? Does anyone know?

if you are sure that your throttle body doesnt close... then have you visualy see that its no closing...in that case can you take a picture? also have you checked that your throttle cable is not too tight and keeping it open? check that too..

I pretty much had the same exact problem as you. It was my throttle body seal that were worn. I tired using rubber o-rings as some people had advised online, but trust me and just buy the right high-quality replacement right away. I believe several of the vendors have em. I had an extra set on hand in case it ever happens again, cause trust me it was annoying to rev over 2k at a stop.

But hey, at least I know the throttle body inside and out now!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back