The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Thoughts on a stroked 4g64 block with a 4g63 head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanokid69

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 7, 2003
San Jose, California
Could achieve 2.6L but what kind of problems would i possibly run into with attempting this build?

I would be running it with a gt4088 backbone

I have the same engine planed. The engine is a low revving motor due to the long stroke. If you want to rev to the sky stay with a 4g63 block. Also may run into transmission issues with the amount of torque the engine will produce. I think I am going to have to go auto again.

Likes to split blocks if they are not sleeved, and you will be breaking transmissions with the torque on a 40r.

I would just keep it at 2.4. I see the ability to be able to keep the rpm's up to be more of an advantage than the extra .2 liters of displacement.

Ya the only thing I was thinking was tranny problems with all that torque I see that Brian crower makes a stroker kit for the 4g64 ill keep researching and post what I find out here for anyone that is interested in this build

We've built a couple of them in the past two or three years. Lots of torque. We short filled the water jackets to provide a bit more stability since the 2.4 blocks are a bit thinner than a 2.0. We found that to get good results we had to change the way we ported the heads and needed custom cams. Filling that kind of volume with a head designed for a 2.0 opens up a big can of worms. Once we got it ironed out the customer said they flyyyyy.

Good to hear! what about little things like the timing belt and head gaskets?

Sleeve it and call it a day and build a torque monster. I want to do this for a daily. And RPM isnt everything. My machinist has an old vette, 4.125 inch stroke, and a mere 7000rPM redline, two turbos, and it runs low 9's. So if you even get 7500RPM and have a broad powerband you could have a fun car. i'd do it if i could afford that dogbox......

The setup would be a fun one to play around with, but I would strongly suggest running a built automatic to reduce driveline failure.

Ebrahim Al Gattan has also done this setup a few times and had issues with keeping head gaskets in them under high boost, along with block failures.

Ill probably build the motor on the side as a fun little project and see what happens...i have a conquest that sitting and waiting for a motor

Last edited:
Go with the smallest bore size possible. As well, a partial hard block or sleeve install would be beneficial for high power levels and boost levels.

Ya I'm gonna do some more research then start planning out the build...i had somebody contact me from BC this morning about a 2.5L kit and gave me some info on ebrahams build and his failures...i just dont want to rush it and end up building something I'm going to have to tear apart after every pass

Ya I'm gonna do some more research then start planning out the build...i had somebody contact me from BC this morning about a 2.5L kit and gave me some info on ebrahams build and his failures...i just dont want to rush it and end up building something I'm going to have to tear apart after every pass

Yup, I agree, research is key.

I don't see this working out great. Here are a couple points to remember. The 5 speeds hate torque, so an auto is almost a must. This creates another problem, the autos do not have gearing friendly to a low revving engine. To get any trap speed out of the 2.6 something would have to be done with the overdrive shaft in the trans.

There is a reason most of the top 4g based cars are running 2.0's.

I know this post is a little old, but i'm going to throw my two cents in anyway.
I'm currently doing some research as I am looking to overhaul my Eclipse Spyder GS into a manual car with a 4G63 top end... I stumbled across the website below and it had some useful information. Hope it helps.

:: Project Zero G ::

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back