The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Thinking about upgrading to T-66

Upgrade to T-66

• Yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No, too much lag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, stay with 60-1

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • I have no clue what your talking about

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels-a-turnin

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2003
troy, Michigan
I am not satisfied with my 60-1..... i dont believe too much in lag but im worried i wont reach full boost til like 6000...right now i fullboost my 60-1 at 4000

Just wondering you opinion

Yes,

Attachments

• 1250.jpg
    1250.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 388
Wheels-a-turnin said:
I am not satisfied with my 60-1..... i dont believe too much in lag but im worried i wont reach full boost til like 6000...right now i fullboost my 60-1 at 4000

Just wondering you opinion
I have a T-66 and it don't start building boost til 4000(without the nitrous). Full boost is in by 6500(30psi).I don't know how you use your car but a stock turbo is more fun to drive on the street than a T-66.If your after big power numbers then it's great. Just don't forget the amount of fuel that's required for that much airflow. Getting a single injector of that size to run down low is like putting out a match with a fire hose.

91redgst (one of the guys from slowboy) has a T66 on his car, it is a 2.3L and he had full boost by 5500 RPM. And also threw done a very nice 700 WHP.

Lunch_Box said:
91redgst (one of the guys from slowboy) has a T66 on his car, it is a 2.3L and he had full boost by 5500 RPM. And also threw done a very nice 700 WHP.

Ya see i dont have a stroker and id imagine a stroker is probably worth about 500 rpm quicker spool..thats just too much lag for me personally.. but i think im going to go a step down with a t64

What power at what PSI are you making with a 60-1 that you're not happy?

If you're not happy with you 60-1, then you need to up the PSI or you have a serious problem with your setup.

Stapl3 said:
What power at what PSI are you making with a 60-1 that you're not happy?

If you're not happy with you 60-1, then you need to up the PSI or you have a serious problem with your setup.

I made 320awhp at 13psi.... i was going to tune at the dyno more but i just dont feel anymore that it will bring me to my goal without nitrous. I dont care about being a dyno queen but i care about breaking into the mid-high 10's this summer. I previously thought it was possible but ive changed my mind.

How can you know you're not happy with a turbo when you haven't even tried it out yet? 13psi, WTF.

Of course you're not satisifed with it ROFL Try turning up the boost.

or you could have read my last post and made an educated response

BTW: Beaner is ###

You forgot to mention the fact that you did turn up the boost to 16ish and got an additional 20hp.

Changing your turbo won't fix your problem, you have problems elsewhere.

BTW, where'd you pick up the extra 20whp ?

Alan, you need to turn the boost up to 25+psi and then see where your at with that turbo. a 14B is 10 times more efficient at that boost than your 60-1. The 60-1 compressor wheel is for HIGH boost and when your not running high boost its way out of efficiency. your probably choking the turbo with that low of boost.

That would be like me running the T67 at 20psi.. the thing starts rockin hard at 30psi.. and is good for around 40psi. you can't run a turbo that is made to support a high power dsm at 13psi and not be happy. If a 20G has gone 10's... your 60-1 should be more than fine. a 20G is around 44lbs/min. A 60-1 is 55-60lbs/min. of airflow.

seriously.. you allready used the turbo and have put miles on the thing, turn up the boost and you'll see what im talking about. an average gain in hp would be around 10-15hp per pound of boost for that turbo.

you do the math.

TIM

98talonAWD said:
Alan, you need to turn the boost up to 25+psi and then see where your at with that turbo. a 14B is 10 times more efficient at that boost than your 60-1. The 60-1 compressor wheel is for HIGH boost and when your not running high boost its way out of efficiency. your probably choking the turbo with that low of boost.

That would be like me running the T67 at 20psi.. the thing starts rockin hard at 30psi.. and is good for around 40psi. you can't run a turbo that is made to support a high power dsm at 13psi and not be happy. If a 20G has gone 10's... your 60-1 should be more than fine. a 20G is around 44lbs/min. A 60-1 is 55-60lbs/min. of airflow.

seriously.. you allready used the turbo and have put miles on the thing, turn up the boost and you'll see what im talking about. an average gain in hp would be around 10-15hp per pound of boost for that turbo.

you do the math.

TIM

You do bring up a good point and i see what your saying but this engine can handle the power of damn near anything i can through at it and i just want to use some of that investment

Stapl3 said:
You forgot to mention the fact that you did turn up the boost to 16ish and got an additional 20hp.

Changing your turbo won't fix your problem, you have problems elsewhere.

Beaner has sex with monkeys

Stapl3 said:

"To date, I've tuned three 10 second Civics, four 10 second DSMs, a 9 second DSM, an 8 second DSM, and a 7 second DSM. One of them locally (Civic hatch) ran 10s on a bone stock bottom end B16A without a hitch – I guess I should be a little more CrAzY with my tuning style."

A 7 second dsm huh? So he tunes Rau's car or is it Buschur's car? ROFL

Stay with the 60-1. You don't know what you can do with that turbo. You can be a breast with it.And mid 10 sce car. I have a 60 trim running 15-16 psi all day long. You have the setup use it. go to 20-22 psi and you'll rething about goint bigger.

Alan.. you have the bottom end to throw down a lot of horsepower... this is true. However, you will have lots of trouble spooling/ daily driving the car on the street without a stroker motor. Unless to do a small A/R hot side with a Garrett GT center ball bearing section, there is no way you will be happy with spool up and streetability. but a turbo like that will cost you around $1500+.

why dont you try using the turbo you have for the summer and crank up the boost to 25 or maybe even 30psi and you WONT want a bigger turbo.

the only way to really use a T66 turbo on a built 2 liter would be to spray the hell out of it just for spool up purposes. And your motor can handle that, but is that what you really want to do just to run that turbo. because you may find with a bigger turbo like that, the 16G cars out on the road are GOING to own you EVERYTIME.

Stay with the 60-1 man. If you havent even cranked the boost to the max how do you know that its not making enough power for you goals? Best thing to do is turn the boost up run it at the track, tune the thing more, and run again, if you cant ever break into the 10s then well..at that point I would consider something bigger. But if this is your daily driver something as a t-66 is just not fun on the street. I take it you have never ran at the track yet.. So dont assume your gonna run 10 seconds your first time out. Having a 10 second car isnt as easy as just putting a bigger turbo on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back