The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Thinking about switching back to afc from DSMlink!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redgst95

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2004
Mobile, Alabama
I was talking with a guy at NOPI who had a high HP 2g, and i was askin him what they used to tune with and he told me that they tried DSMMlink but really had no luck with it and he said that they used an afc and a gm-maf !!! And they were running 10's OMG

Now does anybody with a high HP DSM still tune with an afc and gm-maf? if so give me somw feedback on this cause i sure thought that 10's on an afc was not possible or likely!

I was talking with a guy at NOPI who had a high HP 2g, and i was askin him what they used to tune with and he told me that they tried DSMMlink but really had no luck with it and he said that they used an afc and a gm-maf !!! And they were running 10's OMG

Now does anybody with a high HP DSM still tune with an afc and gm-maf? if so give me somw feedback on this cause i sure thought that 10's on an afc was not possible or likely!

How did someone who couldn't figure out something as simple as DSMLink get their car into 10's?

Maybe they missed playing with the buttons?

There's nothing that an AFC/MAFT can do that DSMLink can't do. Well, except vent correctly, I suppose.

That makes no sense. Piggybacks are incredibly limited. I don't see how he was able to run large enough injectors among other parameters set by the stock ECU. Bottom line is that piggybacks "trick" the ECU whereas DSMLINK still utilizes the stock ECU, but instead of having to "lie" it just brainwashes the mofo permanently haha. You have 100x more tuning capability with DSMLINK over a piggyback. That guy was either retarded or lying out his ass. Learn your DSMLINK and enjoy it. Your car will thank you for it and every mod you do you'll get more out of it with DSMLINK.

How did someone who couldn't figure out something as simple as DSMLink get their car into 10's?

+1 I think you should have had your knee high boots on while wading throughthe ish coming out of his mouth

That makes no sense. Piggybacks are incredibly limited. I don't see how he was able to run large enough injectors among other parameters set by the stock ECU. Bottom line is that piggybacks "trick" the ECU whereas DSMLINK still utilizes the stock ECU, but instead of having to "lie" it just brainwashes the mofo permanently haha. You have 100x more tuning capability with DSMLINK over a piggyback. That guy was either retarded or lying out his ass. Learn your DSMLINK and enjoy it. Your car will thank you for it and every mod you do you'll get more out of it with DSMLINK.

And again +10000000000000

To be able to make the kind of power to run 10's and have the motor stay together you need the flexability and capabilities of a full stand alone, or at least something with the same amount of control that a stand alone allows. I've seen cars in the 11's (albeit high 11's ) with an AFC and the HKS timing control piggyback device ( I forget the name of it after so many years). But, getting into the 10's is a LOT harder than breaking into high 11's. Almost a whole other world of complexity honestly

I think he was BS'ing you honestly. But if you're just looking for simple yet effective control of the fuel curve without the complexity and amount of knowledge required to properly tune something of the DSMlink's amount of control, the AFC is a GREAT tool. And honestly i still like "version 2" the best..the knob style was too simple and the newer one IMO is more centered around blinky lights and flashy looks than pure functionality ( but again that's just my humbe opinion).

Since you already have the DSMlink, I say learn it to the best of your ability. Or pay some one else to tune it if your more into just enjoying driving your car than fiddling with it.

Couldnt you just use the gmmaf to compensate for the injectors tthen use the afc to fine tune it.....Thats the way it was explained to me

+1 to the 10sec guy BSing you. He probably didn't know that track he was at was actually an 1/8th. Whats AFC got that DSMlink doesn't? Plus you wont have the great features like 2step rev limiters, NLTS, anti-lag, timing control, and more precise fuel curves. Not to mention Logging capabilities.

Couldnt you just use the gmmaf to compensate for the injectors tthen use the afc to fine tune it.....Thats the way it was explained to me

The GMMaf "compensates" for injectors the same way as the AFC, thus they suffer similar limitations.

Im going to keep the link,I was doin some research on this. What is the most HP you can get from DSMlink before going standalone?

There are a lot of 600+ whp cars running DSMLink and a handful with more that I know off the top of my head. The fastest guy is in the 8's right now.

Im going to keep the link,I was doin some research on this. What is the most HP you can get from DSMlink before going standalone?

The link is close enough to a stand alone that i don't think HP limitations would be a deciding factor in upgrading toa full stand alone system. It would be more for options of all the little extra digital and PWM outputs for COP ignition, nitrous control, fans, anti lag, TCC lock up, Dual runner manifolds, different/custom idle air control circuits, 2 sets of staged injectors, flat shift switch and a whole slew of other things that i could list on and on.

Untill you start to get completely crazy and want to either gut the car, go full race and add all kinds of crazy inputs and outputs; I think you'll be just fine with the link. Even then the link would do most everything you need. IT's a very good system IMO.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back