The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

the best gaskets to use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkid

Probationary Member
Nov 22, 2009
dayton, Ohio
I am in the process of rebuilding my engine and i was wondering what is the recommended gaskets. as much as id like to keep it on a budget i don't think its best to go cheap. so is the gasket kit from the local auto parts store good enough or should i fork out the cash for a more expensive kit? also the
PO put 4layer head gaskets on the engine does anyone recommend reusing them or get new ones? thanks in advance

Fel Pro kits from your local Advanced Auto will do fine, but if your building something for horsepower I would go with a Cometic kit.

Don't reuse the Cometic, get a new one. And I highly recommend new OEM gasket sets. Have ran into leaks with Fel-Pro and other non-oem brands. ITM gaskets are GREAT for the money and many of the gaskets are from the same suppler as OEM.

I think a lot of it is the application. For example, I have used the full ebay gasket kit on my winter beater car and it doesn't leak a bit. I used copper spray on a lot of the gaskets and they have held up perfectly fine. Just make sure the mating surface is perfect and any gasket should work just fine. The only gasket I would obviously not cheap out on is the head gasket.

I would get an OEM gasket kit from one of the vendors but from what I have seen Fel-Pro's multi layer headgasket is the best. I have seen multiple people push the Fel-Pro multi layer into the 8s and still have to peel it off.

I have used felpro and never had a problem. I do the same thing as big d up there, i use copper spray on my head gasket and manifold gaskets. With this combo i have had absolutely no problems. NEVER re-use a head gasket!

Just use OEM gaskets. They are still cheap and you won't have issues with them. My mechanic ususally uses the Cometic HG and after he saw the MLS Mitsu gasket he liked it a lot better.

Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the felpro kit. Iv used felpro before without any problems but this is the first real high performance engine iv built and wasn't sure the best way to go. I do know to never reuse a headgasket but the po put one on without being run on before I bought the car. Iv put some miles on the car so I figured it will be best to replace the head gasket. Just so I can check it out.... Where is the best deal on a oem kit? Thanks again

I really like the AJUSA gasket kits. I found them on ebay and they come with every gasket you will need and they are high quality gaskets. Eather AJUSA or the OEM if you have the $$

For engine gaskets, I will only use OEM Mitsu gaskets. I am just paticular like that so i will only use oem. As far as the head gasket, the felpro 6 layer is the best. That is what I use, and I love it. I haven't had a single issue yet.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back