The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Tension of rod bolts pressed into rods.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defrag010

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2004
n/a, Alabama
How much tension is on the rod bolts whenever they are pressed into the rod? Is it possible to get them out with A beefy C-clamp, or is it enough force that you will need a hydraulic press?

I know which one would be easier, but I don't have access to a press.

i just disassembled an engine (granted i didn't care about any of the parts) but i just used a block of wood and a hammer to take out the rod bolts....worked fine (maybe it shouldn't have)

Ok good.. How hard did you have to hit them before they started to come out?

well, the pistons were in the engine, so they were braced against the crankshaft by the caps, but i didn't have to hit them too hard. just some decent force with a regular hammer. no sledge or anything.

You can just hold the rod in your hand and hit them out with a hammer, if you are replaceing them with ARP's it very advisable to get you rods resized in the process!!!

Blue1, that's exactly what I'm doing. I rebuilt my motor with stock rod bolts and I just bought some ARP's. I have a 51mm 180 grit flex hone that I'm gonna use on the crank end of the rod and hone it out to where it is concentric within spec. Gonna try and do it without taking the pistons out because that will make it just that much easier (the motor has only been ran for a few minutes).

Don't do it they have to be resized on a proper resizing machine to hold the rod dead straight while honing. you cannot guarantee the straightness of the bore by hand! you might get it round but at what angle??

defrag010 said:
Blue1, that's exactly what I'm doing. I rebuilt my motor with stock rod bolts and I just bought some ARP's. I have a 51mm 180 grit flex hone that I'm gonna use on the crank end of the rod and hone it out to where it is concentric within spec. Gonna try and do it without taking the pistons out because that will make it just that much easier (the motor has only been ran for a few minutes).
You have to hone the rod with a rod honing machine because i really doubt you can even within 2 thousanths with a flex hone by hand. Do it right the first time. As for the rod bolts a c-clamp wont cut it, you need to use a hydraulic press and the right press tools so that you dont damage the rod or the rod cap mating surface.

I got them changed out, and it was easier than I thought without taking the rods out.

With the ARP's knocked in and torqued down, the rod was only about .0017" out of concentricity, I didn't even need to hone them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back