The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Talon Resurrection

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZSpeed

Probationary Member
Aug 28, 2011
Waukegan, Illinois
I'm new to DSMs, I come from the LS1 part of the car world but have been more interested in cars in general lately. I was going away to school, but recently decided that I didn't want to be a high school teacher anymore because my interest in cars has progressed beyond obsession. I'm now going to community college to get an associate's degree in automotive technology. My parents were really cool about me moving back in, and my dad even said I could get a beater car for the Chicago winter because he likes my Camaro more than I do(almost...)

Anyways, after looking on craigslist for a few weeks, I finally found the perfect car: a 1990 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD with 108,xxx miles. The guy said he was selling it because he ran out of time for it, but it seems like he was just sick of it. He said it needed a new idle air control motor to run right, but when I went to check it out with my dad he couldn't get it to start at all. Luckily this dropped the price, because he just wanted it out of his driveway. My dad has a warehouse for his business so we had it towed there.
1990eagletalonproject002.jpg

1990eagletalonproject003.jpg

Let's start with the bad first. This car is in pretty good condition for being 21 years old, but it's got some nasties. There's a few dents
1990eagletalonproject009.jpg

1990eagletalonproject011.jpg

along with plain neglect

1990eagletalonproject005.jpg

yeah that's oil pooled on the valve cover :nono:

and a driver's door that doesn't close
1990eagletalonproject006.jpg

1990eagletalonproject007.jpg

1990eagletalonproject018.jpg

That's a golf club holding up the hatch. It came with the car when i got it :shhh:

1990eagletalonproject020.jpg

oh yeah and ziptied exhaust

Now for the good. As you may have noticed, those are big wheels. 17 inchers from a 3rd gen eclipse I believe?
1990eagletalonproject029.jpg

Also it's lowered an inch and a half, has a front mount intercooler but no piping, and I think has a different turbo(not stock). I don't really know too much about DSMs yet so excuse my lack of terminology. Also it has more aggressive cams, HKS 272 intake and exhaust with adjustable cam gears. I haven't heard it run yet, anyone have any idea what it'll sound like?

I just got the car today so I haven't done a lot to it yet, just took off the door because it was annoying and I want to fix the hinges that are misaligned.
1990eagletalonproject022.jpg

I think my goal is to make it look decent before I try to get it running. This doesn't mean perfect, but I want my door to close and maybe touch up some of those dents, just give this car some lovin'. I'll keep updating whenever I do anything interesting(to me), so feel free to comment, critique, and question whatever I do. I don't know a lot about these cars going in, but I like learning by doing. :hellyeah:
-Ed

I think those are 17" gsx (2g) rims you got on there. Anyways it's awesome you're saving it :thumb:

just a word of advice also when you go to the parts store make you get 1990 parts! they are differnt from 91,92,93,and 94. Good luck and if you need to know the differences just do some searching on here you will find tons of info on this topic

Looks like a great project. Glad to see another DSM getting saved.

But for the love or God, change your blog title.

Looks like you saved that one just in time. Good luck and have fun cleaning her up.

Hey, good luck with your project DSM; however, keep in mind that you're in for a tedious treat as DSM's, to me, represent the game of chess in the project car world. Piece by piece you will make your repairs, moves, and sometimes you will just be stuck...good luck!

I Have tons of 90 parts, also 1g tan leather seats and 5pc black wrap around wing. looks like it will be a good dsm once you get her all fixed up.

i got a nice interior for that car bro... its definately a nice project you got going.. i hope it comes out looking as nice as what your aiming for

I WANT THAT TAN INTERIOR in trade for my mint dark gray and black interior LOL. Nice find, whats the rust status on her thow? Make her clean and proper dude.

Good luck with the project! Looks a little rough around the edges, but with some time, you'll get it looking good!

The zip tied exhaust is quite hilarious!!

Nice project, some time and work is involved there but it will come together at least you have a awd shell, you can always find decent interior parts.

Its all way nice seeing dsm getting back on road once more. Its all ways a good thing

thanks for the comments guys :)
doggietom i want that wrap around wing! how much are you trying to sell it for?
and dented coffee i would love to trade for dark grey and black, i hate brown haha
and haveblue83, i should have named this save the panda! haha

From my past experience of restoring an old 91 in about the same shape, (full autobody, paint, interior, rebuilding engine) i would recommend trying to find a REAL good shell, no rust, straight.

I would be worried about why that door is misaligned, could be more than just a crooked door. These days empty shells are fairly easy to find if your patient.

That is what I wish I would have done. Either way good luck with the resto!

dude that's a great deal in parts alone you easily have that much ... but i agree with smooch buying another body will save you a lot of head aches like all projects its the body work that will be what makes the end product worth the time and also will get you in touch with your inner gear head.. but if you want to cut and weld up another body panel more power to you.. but ### don't try to repair that jacked end with 35 lbs of bondo..

yeah it's just kinda tricky because my dad wanted me to get a beater car for the winter but I still wanted something fun so I found this, so at the moment I don't have a lot of extra funds. but maybe in the future I'll be able to get a shell and swap everything over, that would be tight. thanks for the comments and advice!

I have an extra 90 tsi shell chillin in my boys yard in VA.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back