The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Swaping intermediate shaft from '92 to '90 transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSX_Dan

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Would it be ok to swap an intermediate shaft from a '92 trans to a '90? I need to do this to be able to fit the larger diameter 2nd gear from the '92+ gearsets. The only reason I can think of why it might not work is because of the center diff lower housing is different on the '90's, although I don't fully understand how this affects things I know the center diff is turned by the intermediate shaft's 3rd gear mating gear...is this mating gear any different on the 92+ intermediate shaft ?

I guess if I know the exact reason why a '90 center diff won't work in a '92+ I should have my answer.

The difference between the center diffs is the angle of teeth on the outer ring gear of the center diff housing. They switched it after around 91.5 model year. It's very difficult to see by just looking at it. That's why a 90 center diff won't work with 92+ internals. Hope this helps.

Interesting, so in other words I can't take a 92+ intermediate shaft and throw it in a '90 transmission due to the different angle of the teeth on the gear that contacts the center diff and input shaft...this is odd because I have a shep built tranny that has a 92+ intermediate shaft with the larger internal diameter 2nd gear in my '90 tranny as I found out after trying to swap the gear over to my other stock '90 tranny....yet the center diff is the '90 style and as far as I know the input shaft is original as well. Could it be such a small difference in the angle of the teeth that its negligible?

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/d...n.php?osCsid=b8b7932c287a036b2e7635486ccf55b7

Look at the 2nd pic. If your center diffs look different, then it won't work. Yes, the helix angle is different and it won't work.

Jack

Thanks for the link, I was looking at that pic a few days ago actually while trying to figure out the differences between the different tranny years.

Would I have to swap over the 92+ input shaft as well when I'm swapping the intermediate shaft/center diff or just 3rd gear from the input shaft? Is 4thgear 2nd/1st mating gears going to work ok from the original '90 gearset? I don't have a good 92+ input shaft that's why I'm asking...

For the center diff housing gear to match, you need to swap out the intermediate shaft, input shaft 3rd gear and input shaft 4th gear. The input shaft itself doesn't need to be touched.

Keep these matching:

A) 1st, 2nd and input shaft need to be from the same cluster.

B) Center diff lower housing, intermediate shaft, 3rd, and 4th need to be from the same cluster.

You can mix A and B with each other as long as A and B are their own matching sets.

Jack

Thanks for the link, I was looking at that pic a few days ago actually while trying to figure out the differences between the different tranny years.

Would I have to swap over the 92+ input shaft as well when I'm swapping the intermediate shaft/center diff or just 3rd gear from the input shaft? Is 4thgear 2nd/1st mating gears going to work ok from the original '90 gearset? I don't have a good 92+ input shaft that's why I'm asking...

For the center diff housing gear to match, you need to swap out the intermediate shaft, input shaft 3rd gear and input shaft 4th gear. The input shaft itself doesn't need to be touched.

Keep these matching:

A) 1st, 2nd and input shaft need to be from the same cluster.

B) Center diff lower housing, intermediate shaft, 3rd, and 4th need to be from the same cluster.

You can mix A and B with each other as long as A and B are their own matching sets.

Jack

Jack if to buy Evo 3 complete gear cluster from your shop, can it be just droped into the 90' tranny or we'll need to change diff lower housing in that case as well?

Thanks Jack, this definitely helps and you will have my business in the future.

Just one thing I don't think I'm understanding...once I swap over the 92+ 1st/2nd gear and intermediate shaft according to what you said I also have to swap over its matching input shaft? (same cluster) So I can't get away with just swapping over 4th/3rd to the '90 input shaft...

You got it right. You can just pop the 3rd and 4th to the original input shaft. The ONLY parts that need to match the input shaft are the 1st and 2nd gears.

Jack

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back