The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G stuck fuel guage or bad sending unit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonf90

Proven Member
Oct 11, 2012
davenport, Iowa
hey guys. on my 95 gsx the fuel guage is stuck on full. when I get low enough my low gas light will turn on so im leaning towards a stuck gas guage. can anyone walk me through the steps to dislodge the stuck needle so I know how much fuel I have left?

Last edited:
A short to ground will also make the fuel gauge read full so check that first. Unplug the sender unit on top of the tank (remove rear seat to get at) to make sure it's not the sender causing the problem.

i dont know 2g but i have a 1g assembly (the part from the tank) here and the two are seperate, one wire is the dummy light which connects a simple circuit when the fuel level is low enough
the main fuel level sender is seperate, you should just remove it and have a look.

its real common for them to get stuck in a position

Do you have aftermarket gauge faces? I had the overlay for the fuel gauge ever so slightly pinch on the tail side of the needle which basically raised the gauge face material up in a bulge just enough to hinder the needle from moving. When I figured out what was wrong I just used an xacto knife to trim the excess material allowing the rest to lay flat.

A short to ground will also make the fuel gauge read full so check that first. Unplug the sender unit on top of the tank (remove rear seat to get at) to make sure it's not the sender causing the problem.
thx for the reply so what exactly do i do to test it and what am i looking for (sorry kinda a noob when it comes to fuel pumps [and sending units])

Unplug the sender unit and see if the fuel gauge goes to empty (give it 30 seconds) when key is turned on. If it does then problem is in sender and you'll have to remove it to see if it's stuck. If it stays on full then problem is probably in the gauge itself.

Unplug the sender unit and see if the fuel gauge goes to empty (give it 30 seconds) when key is turned on. If it does then problem is in sender and you'll have to remove it to see if it's stuck. If it stays on full then problem is probably in the gauge itself.
okay thx man ill be doing it tomarrow its cold out atm LOL. ill keep you informed

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back