The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Stripped bolt hole for transfer case on transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikTande

Supporting Member
Dec 17, 2012
Centennial, Colorado
One of these bolts on my transfer case is stripped, I must have over tightened it. Can I drill, tap and helicoil these without any issues? There's no oil / fluid passage there, right? I circled both because i don't remember which one I stripped.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I did this before also. I couldn't get the proper size helicoil for over a week and needed the car running, so I tapped the hole in the next larger size in Imperial course thread and put in a new grade 10 bolt. Just another option if you cant find the right size kit locally.

My first choice would be Helicoils if the holes aren't oversized too much so the Helicoils won't fit poroper. I would also Helicoil all the holes while fixing the stripped holes as well. My opinion is all threaded holes in aluminum should have Helicoils. If you have the resources make yourself a drilling guide block to help keep the drill straight.

Last edited:
My first choice would be Helicoils if the holes aren't oversized too much so the Helicoils won't fit poroper. I would also Helicoil all the holes while fixing the stripped holes as well. My opinion is all threaded holes in aluminum should have Helicoils. If you have the resources make yourself a drilling guide block to help keep the drill straight.
Good tip, thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back