The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Strange Acting AUTO tranny w4a32

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonf90

Proven Member
Oct 11, 2012
davenport, Iowa
(end clutch was replaced correctly with IPT kit been working fine for a few weeks) alright so i was driving home the other day and all of a sudden the car started shifting erratically up and down randomly without going into limp mode. got it home and pulled TCU codes and it said 86 and 54 for the pulse generators. i tested them and they both ohmed out to 360-370 so i placed them back in reset the computer and took the car for a test drive. it shifted fine from 1-4, did a small pull and it went into limp mode on me. i got it back home and pulled TCU codes but there was NO codes to be found but i was in limp mode still. any idea on the matter?

With the Auto tranny you have to think that there is a mechanical component and an electrical. You were correct to first check the Ohm's for your pulse generator but they were good.

I would check the following things:

1. Make sure your electrical connectors on the top of the transmission are not loose, also make sure they are not corroded and have no fluid inside of them.

2. Make sure the electrical system for your vehicle is okay. If your voltage is low I have seen that cause havoc with TCU's. Make sure that the grounds for the TCU are ok and that there is a grounding cable attached to the engine/transmission. 2g's love to have bad alternators and low voltage, the electrical system is just poor design.

3. Check to make sure the capacitors are not leaking within the TCU, verify that everything is alright inside, no burnt components.

4. A am going to assume that you have checked the fluid level and you are running a good quality ATF? I have had best experience with Mitsubishi ATF. Have you checked to see if the VB bolts loosened up? If the VB is pulling away fluid could be excaping from where it shouldn't be. Are you having any resistance in the gear shiftier selecting different gears?

Do you have an external Transmission cooler?

yes i have an external cooler. ill have to pull the TCU and check it out recently the alt fuse blew changed it and its charging but it could be weak causing that??

alright pulled the ECU and TCU checked both and they both checked out good, we adjusted the TPS to .9 ohms at closed throttle and it started shifting a little. so do you guys think i just have a bad TPS sensor??? also do you know the procedure to test the kickdown servo??? btw we have NO engine and tranny codes to speak of. cleared them and they havnt came back

and alt is reading 14v output, 14v at battery. and NO resistance shifting at all

With the Auto tranny you have to think that there is a mechanical component and an electrical. You were correct to first check the Ohm's for your pulse generator but they were good.

I would check the following things:

1. Make sure your electrical connectors on the top of the transmission are not loose, also make sure they are not corroded and have no fluid inside of them.

2. Make sure the electrical system for your vehicle is okay. If your voltage is low I have seen that cause havoc with TCU's. Make sure that the grounds for the TCU are ok and that there is a grounding cable attached to the engine/transmission. 2g's love to have bad alternators and low voltage, the electrical system is just poor design.

3. Check to make sure the capacitors are not leaking within the TCU, verify that everything is alright inside, no burnt components.

4. A am going to assume that you have checked the fluid level and you are running a good quality ATF? I have had best experience with Mitsubishi ATF. Have you checked to see if the VB bolts loosened up? If the VB is pulling away fluid could be excaping from where it shouldn't be. Are you having any resistance in the gear shiftier selecting different gears?

Do you have an external Transmission cooler?

i also found a dead spot in the TPS while i was adjusting it originally. would that make my tranny shift erratically? going from lets sat 0% to 80% throttle but going .9 ohms to 3 to 1 to 4 to 1.7 (random numbers inclining relative to throttle position)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back