The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

stock turbo swap questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kj2fast4u92

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2011
Shenandoah, Iowa
Hello everyone. Its been awhile since i have been on here but spring has sprung and its time to get the dsm back on the road.
So. before we get started i would like to let everyone know that i have read most all of the turbo swap threads. However, most of them are pretty generic, and i have a few specific questions i still need answered.
First some background. My car is a 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. Originally it had a N/T 1g 7bolt. then i got what was supposed to be a replacement 6 bolt and it turned out to be a 4g61 (tiny 1.6 out of a mirage) Now its time to get legit and put in that 4g63T that God intended be in this car. :) So here are my questions.

1. i have read a bit about putting in a turbo motor and retaining the original harness and ecu. I plan on just doing a stock swap for now, but modify down the road. So im leaning towards the full harness and ecu swap as they come with the motor for only 300 extra bucks. My question is- How hard is replacing the wiring harness and ecu? looking at my car it looks like the fenders and dash will have to come off and out at least.

2. jdm engines are short a downpipe and IC. I currently have a cosmo 4-2-1 header on my N/T. will i need more than just a downpipe to get to the location of my test pipe? (its about at the firewall give or take a couple inches) And as for the IC, i can't find a stock style one anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction to find one or would one of the small FMIC kits be better?

3. How long will my clutch last with a stock turbo engine? Its almost new it was only used for 3 months, but if it's way too weak ill spit out the money for a new one i suppose.

I guess thats about it for now. just trying to finalize what i am going to need to get done so i can prep the car for the new motor by the time it gets here. Thanks!

Well after a little contemplation, i decided to go with a rebuilt 4g63t 6bolt long block from Kar King. It arrived and looks very nice. i'm hooking it all up NT for now. Hopefully i will get my parts collected over the summer and turn this into a build thread this fall. I have a 351w Foxbody project going on also and i need the eclipse as my fuel sipper for now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back