The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

starts but rev past 4k it backfired and shutoff

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalonFULLtune

Proven Member
Jan 15, 2013
three churches, West_Virginia
problems with my 1g tsi awd with 97 bolt swap still on 1g ecu.
im at a complete loss with this not sure what it could be. long story kinda short i was headed home from town i pulled out of the gas station and got into it too
3rd gear then cruised at about 50 the rest of the way home. on the way car shuts off i pull over pop the hood. oil filter had come loose. and the timing belt slipped. so i towed it home with my truck. i notice i had coolant in the oil so i figured it blew the headgasket too. i pulled the head checked the valves they looked good. no signs of hitting the pistons ethier. i cleand the head and block surface. layed a mls on it and stuck the head back on. put a new timing belt and balance shaft belt in. timing looked dead on. i started it sounded good at idle i let it warm up and i gave it some small revs to see if it sounded right. all sounded good untill i hit about 4k it backfired like a canon and shut off. when this happend it cracked my oil pump sproket in half. any ideas on what could cause this. maybe air in the fuel line? please give me any suggestions.
thqnk you for your help in advance.

I had the same situation as you did. I bought a 6 bolt longblock and droped it in my 2g eclipse. My oil pump sprocket ended up to 5 pieces. Ended up pulling the timing side off with oil pump front case. The stuby shaft was eating rear of the oil pump, where the twi gears sit. You will see that for sure. Also check your timing pullies and your lifters. I ended up having 10 bad lifters. Placed the oil pump with new stuby shaft, and yes i deleted the balance shaft. Changed timing pullies just incase and got the 3g lifters. Revs really hard now and no problems at all. Make sure if your deleted your balance shaft, you get a good brands not any ebay.
Good luck and keep us updated

Also make sure your timing belt isnt really tight.

Try to spin the shaft where the sprocket sits on. If you can't spin it or really hard to spin, then you got to take it out and see whats wrong with it. If you easily spin it, then check the condition of your tensioner arm and pulley. And since the timing belt is off check your lifters, save yourself more work.

Good luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back