The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Starter rebuild (clutch or solenoid)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EclipseTurbo

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2004
Northwest, New_Jersey
I have had a problem with my starter where I probrarly overheated it when cranking for excessive amount of time when car was down. So it started doing the spinning noise with no cranking of it. Someone said that it is the starter clutch. Taking the starter apart I noticed that there is no clutch and there is a solenoid that pushes the motor gear assembly out to engage. Therefore would that mean that the solenoid is bad?
I have tested the starter before and it did infact spin and move out, what does this all mean ? New solenoid or motor assembly?

I will try to install a solenoid from a 6bolt starter and see if it would work now .

My life's time is free,
Well if you've got free time your magnetic switch (aka: starter solenoid or magnetic clutch) is hanging up or bad. Take the thing apart and clean it up and lubricate. Even if you find another used starter it would be wise to clean it up/lubricate before installing or you could be having problems shortly down the road. Especially with the work involved to install it (as you probably found out). Although it's for grinding starters here's a link that describes how to clean/lubricate it: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-electrical-wiring/190946-grinding-starts-simple-fix.html.

Thanks for that link, I just did that yesterday. One thing that I found out is that the solenoid is not giving enough power under load, since when I bench tested it before and after cleaning it engages and spins. Once on the car it spins. I will take the solenoid and clean it inside. I see that the the two of four brushes are done and solenoid not holding it at only 101k miles, worries me if anyother components on my car are made for only 100k? I just found out by having to replace o2 sensor, turbocharger, exh manifold, Now what alternator,seals, bearings? I know its a dsm and I love it beside that, and don't tell me to buy a honda -I already have one as I drive it daily.

Great success!

Just rebuild my starter from a 1g perfect condition starter and works beautifully.
I swapped the brushes which were worn after 100k and the Bendix drive or starter drive.
I noticed that it was loose and it did spin freely in the counterclockwise direction which explains why the starter spun freely under load. Solenoids can also be the cause since they can seize up. Thanks .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back