The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Starter problem / Push to start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AA91

Probationary Member
Nov 2, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
As the weather has recently started getting warm again I brought my 1g out of the garage. The battery was dead about a week ago ( from sitting I assumed ) but started right up with a jump start. I drove it a few days just fine including yesterday, but today when I went to start it I got nothing. I had the battery tested & replaced, but still nothing. Now here is the annoying part. I bought this car late last year and it had a "push to start" button already installed. Its just a simple silver button. The car wont start with just the keys ( the starter wire is cut / rewired to the button ). I feel like that button is what is causing the problem. I took a look at the button and it has 2 wires connected to it. One is a red wire that goes directly to the starter. The other is a white wire connecting to the radio power/ wire harness. My first question is what else should i check/test for it not starting ? My second question is what do I need to do to reverse that dumb ass push to start button. I figured it was prob as simple as connecting the original wire from the ignition back to the starter but I don't what I'm looking for honestly. Close to the starter I see one green wire that is cut (not connected) and 1 yellow/black wire coming off the starter with a connecter at the end, but nothing connected to it. Thanks ahead of time and sorry for the paragraph LOL.

To confirm, the car does not crank over at all and you do have power from the new battery?

It sounds like you need to reconnect that starter signal wire that connects to the spade connector on the starter. He installed the push button start in the middle of that wire. I believe that spade connector gets 12v from the starter relay. Instead, now it gets 12v from the push-button through the radio.

Correct the car doesn't crank at all. Also like I said there is a sing red wire, not tapped that comes directly from the starter straight into the firewall to the push button, which is confusing to me bc I figured he would just tap into the original wire going to the starter that way it could be hooked back up easy. I did check the blue? wire that is for the radio wire harness and it wasn't getting any power at all. Would that be a fuse? loose wire? I'm honestly not sure, but the radio no longer comes on either, which is were the push button was getting its 12v power.

Thanks again for the replies and help.

Just wanted to post and say the problem was fixed. Ended up having a blown fuse, radio to be exact. Now I will have to figure out why the fuse blew. haha. Car is running again tho so I'm happy for now. I also find out from someone who helped rebuild the motor in the car that when they tried to hook the car back up for ignition start instead of that button, the car was sparking/smoking from somewhere? Seems I must have a short somewhere so that will be fun to hunt down. :banghead:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back