1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

SRS catback review

Posted by casperfast, Aug 30, 2010

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. casperfast

casperfast Proven Member

Joined Sep 25, 2006
    Salem, Oregon
    Back in December i took a risk and bought the SRS stainless 3" catback exhaust for 2g awd off ebay $199 shipped. shipping only took about 6 days, arrived in one big box, packaged well with that foam form stuff, all hardware and gaskets needed for the installation. upon inspecting the pieces in my kitchen under good light the welds looked flawless, the flanges thick, and the shine...wow. the kit overall looked astonishing. i was very impressed with the product i received. the next question... how will it fit? and how will it sound? so i went about putting my car on jack stands as high off the ground as i could get it (couldn't get into the shop that weekend) and removing my stock exhaust. let me tell you that was a real PITA!!!! i had to use a pneumatic cutoff wheel and a die grinder to get the rear cat flange apart. the bolts and nuts were one!!!. then i used the drill to remove the FUSED bolts out of the cat. and ofcourse the rear o2 wouldn't come out either (broke trying) so i had to go buy and install a new one next came the easy part (and fun part) installing the new stuff. it is 3.22" OD piping and is infact a tight fit under there. but it fit right in there. the hardest part of installing the new stuff was stretching the rubber damper/mounts onto the hangers. but with a little mobile and elbow grease they went in like they were meant to be there. finally i fired her up and immediately afterwards removed the silencer (sounded like $hit). then VIOLA!!! it made a nice deep not-farty sound. overall i give this kit an A+ and would recommend this kit!!!

i will post pictures and a youtube video link as soon as i get a chance

here are the new from box pictures and the pics after being installed for 8 months

well, i tried to upload the pics, they are all under the size limit and in jpeg format but didnt show up. hmmm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010

806  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
    RadDsm likes this.
  2. casperfast

casperfast Proven Member

Joined Sep 25, 2006
    Salem, Oregon

806  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. dsmcrazy267

dsmcrazy267 Proven Member

Joined May 20, 2010
    Midwest city, Oklahoma
    nice review! ya i was thinking about buying srs catback with megan downpipe sounds good!

381  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  4. Deuce_three

Deuce_three Proven Member

Joined Jul 9, 2008
    Lynnwood, Washington
    hey, i have the same exhaust, if your exhaust has a "silencer guide" tack welded in the muffler, you can take it off by torching the tacks off or dremmel it off. Then it becomes 3" muffler.

588  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. casperfast

casperfast Proven Member

Joined Sep 25, 2006
    Salem, Oregon
    yea, it has those dumb tacks. but i really like how it sounds without the silencer.

806  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. Deuce_three

Joined Jul 9, 2008
    Lynnwood, Washington
    That guide pretty much ruins the exhaust. You will notice a better sound/performance difference with it out. The silencer guide is like 1.50" which restricts the flow of the whole exhaust. It basically acts as a silencer itself. If its nice, ill take a picture of how the muffler looks like with the guide off, then you will see how much that guide is restricting the flow of the exhaust. Its up to you if you want to leave it. Jus my .02 of improving the exhaust flow.

588  0

manual · 2G DSM
  7. casperfast

casperfast Proven Member

Joined Sep 25, 2006
    Salem, Oregon
    on mine the guide is tecked to the silencer carp. there isnt one inside the muffler itself. it that what your talking about? if you watch the video of the car with the solencer installed, i pops out you can see what i mean. aside from that peice there is nothing inside the muffler.

806  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  8. FenixTX717

FenixTX717 Proven Member

Joined Oct 10, 2004
    k-town, Wisconsin

^ that.

Mr.Peepers and I did that as well. Cut that out and man was it restrictive having that in there!!!! Well worth the half hour or so of being a pain in the ass cutting it out.

371  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    13.100 @ 113.990 · 2G DSM
  9. casperfast

casperfast Proven Member

Joined Sep 25, 2006
    Salem, Oregon
    are you guys refering to the pipe attached to the silencer? my muffler doesnt have anything inside it.it is essentially a big frickin glasspack. but not ricey sounding at all, as you can hear in the videos. my friend has a real apexi N1 on her 99 gsx and it doesnt sound as good as mine. hers sounds tinn-ey and the piping is not all stainless and is begining to rust in some parts

806  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  10. Deuce_three

Joined Jul 9, 2008
    Lynnwood, Washington
    No its not the pipe attached to silencer. Its the exhaust itself, inside you will see a guide for the silencer. Hmm maybe Srs revised their exhaust cause I bought mine 2 years ago and it came with that guide. Can you take a picture of the exhaust inside without the silencer?

Oo another thing, They must of revised it. Cause mine never came with that 2.25"-3" adapter.

588  0

manual · 2G DSM
  11. casperfast

casperfast Proven Member

Joined Sep 25, 2006
    Salem, Oregon
    here are some pictures i just took inside the muffler. there is no guide piece as you mentioned

Attached Files:

806  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  12. Deuce_three

Joined Jul 9, 2008
    Lynnwood, Washington
    Oh wow!, they did revised it. Plus they added a flange adapter to fit the stock cat or a full 3" dp.

588  0

manual · 2G DSM
  13. 98GSXtacy

98GSXtacy Proven Member

Joined Jul 13, 2010
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    So with this exhaust, will it bolt up to a 3" dp and 3" test pipe combo as well, or do you have to have stock cat/stock sized pipe to fit up directly?

14. Deuce_three

Joined Jul 9, 2008
    Lynnwood, Washington
    From the looks of the new revision. You can use either 3" dp or stock. which is :thumb:

588  0

manual · 2G DSM
  15. my dreamt dsm

my dreamt dsm Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2007
    Somewhere In, California
    Wow. Thanks for the article dude! I know a lot of WRX owners run these now just because of one guy who did a review on a forum. I guess I'll be looking for one to! Thanks again!
    -dsm stig

16. 98GSXtacy

98GSXtacy Proven Member

Joined Jul 13, 2010
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Hell yeah that's what I wanted to hear LOL. Megan dp/SRS catback sounds like a pretty damn good solution for performance, quality, sound, fit, and, well just about everything LOL. Thanks for the write up.

17. Zdrummer15

Zdrummer15 Proven Member

Joined Aug 19, 2009
    York, Pennsylvania
    It will indeed. When I originally got my cat-back, I was impatient and wanted to install it before the downpipe arrived. I ended up having the same issues with the flange after the cat so I just waited. My 3" downpipe mated up just fine with the cat-back.

18. 907gs-t

907gs-t Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2009
    Juneau, Alaska
    I also run the SR-S cat-back exhaust and I'm happy with my purchase I picked mine up a couple of years ago also and it still looks good and sounds good no doubt imo.

1K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    11.899 @ 126.000 · 2G DSM
  19. my dreamt dsm

my dreamt dsm Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2007
    Somewhere In, California
    Is it me or it doesn't have that "JDM"(LOL) slant like the hks carbon.

20. Deuce_three

Joined Jul 9, 2008
    Lynnwood, Washington
    yea, on my srs, it has a slight "jdm" angle to it. Im sure all the Srs exhaust has it. :hellyeah:

588  0

manual · 2G DSM
  21. casperfast

casperfast Proven Member

Joined Sep 25, 2006
    Salem, Oregon
    well i glad to hear the article was helpful. please tag my articles and posts as helpful thanks

to ADMINISTRATOR: please move to product reviews if you see fit

806  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  22. casperfast

casperfast Proven Member

Joined Sep 25, 2006
    Salem, Oregon
    just an update: this has now been on the car 2 years, and still has no signs of rust or wear on it at all. still just as "pretty" as when i fist installed it.

806  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  23. casperfast

casperfast Proven Member

Joined Sep 25, 2006
    Salem, Oregon
    i happened to have the exhaust off today while dropping my fuel tank and to my surprise this is what the exhaust looks like TODAY!!!. impressed.

Attached Files:

806  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
    Drop Top Road Trip likes this.