The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Spyder Convertible Top Holes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dcmojo817

Probationary Member
Feb 21, 2017
Palm Bay, Florida
So when I first got the car about a year ago it had a just the one hole in the top (First picture) but now I'm noticing another hole on the opposite side almost exactly in line with the other hole. Has anyone else had this problem? I think it has to do with when the top folds down but that's pretty much it.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• IMG_20171213_144955.jpg
    IMG_20171213_144955.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 47
It's more likely to be where the top's frame is rubbing the canvas. My last spyder had that issue, but hadn't worn through before I sold it. There may be padding of some sort that should go there, but not positive.

It's more likely to be where the top's frame is rubbing the canvas. My last spyder had that issue, but hadn't worn through before I sold it. There may be padding of some sort that should go there, but not positive.
I think that's what it is. I'm just gonna patch it up and see if I can find some padding. Thanks again for the advice

I think that's what it is. I'm just gonna patch it up and see if I can find some padding. Thanks again for the advice

I pulled the top on my Spyder over the summer to fix a bunch of holes and I can say with 100% certainty that there is no true 'padding' under the canvas where the frame sits against the top. There are two small (4-5 inches wide) lengths of thin fabric that run across the top along the points of the roofline from front to back, however they do very little to prevent rubbing and are there more to keep the frame spaced properly.

My suggestion would be to pull the top and either sew in a patch from the underside, or to replace it entirely if it's in your budget.

I pulled the top on my Spyder over the summer to fix a bunch of holes and I can say with 100% certainty that there is no true 'padding' under the canvas where the frame sits against the top. There are two small (4-5 inches wide) lengths of thin fabric that run across the top along the points of the roofline from front to back, however they do very little to prevent rubbing and are there more to keep the frame spaced properly.

My suggestion would be to pull the top and either sew in a patch from the underside, or to replace it entirely if it's in your budget.
Sad to say it's not in my budget. But I will probably just fix it up myself. And I'll ask this cuz why not. How do I "Prove" myself and get rid of the probitonary member.

Sad to say it's not in my budget. But I will probably just fix it up myself. And I'll ask this cuz why not. How do I "Prove" myself and get rid of the probitonary member.

2. Proven Members:
Once you have been a member for 30 days, you've posted a total of 30 helpful posts in the Newbie forum and/or Problem Diagnosis forum, you will be automatically moved to Proven Member status the following day. You'll now be able to post in all of the public forums and participate in all public areas of the site, including the Classifieds. By now, you should already know the basics of modifying DSMs, how and where to reference tech info when needed, and the guidelines and policies of the site. You don't post common questions and you don't post misinformation. You will receive more private message storage, the ability to use signatures and avatars, permission to post Classifieds, and the ability to post events in our Event Calendar. Entry to this new group is fairly easy, as it only requires a little common sense, courtesy, and contribution to the site.

Loctite makes a vinyl and fabric adhesive that works pretty good for minor repairs. I just replaced my top last summer. Wasn't too bad of a challenge. Took about a weekend and went in pretty smooth.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back