The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Speed sensor question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gst fat

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2007
Miami, Florida
Ok I looked and couldn't find an answer, I got a 96 gst manual transmission, will a 96 Gsx auto tranny speed sensor fit on my car?

Ok I looked and couldn't find an answer, I got a 96 gst manual transmission, will a 96 Gsx auto tranny speed sensor fit on my car?

General answer is no. The gear portion will not fit your m/t since there is a difference in the lengths of the gear and shaft between a/t and m/t.

Here are pictures I took when I swapped from a/t to m/t. You can see the black sensor body is the same, but the gear and shaft lengths are different. The dirtier brown gear with longer shaft is from the a/t.

Attachments

• Speed Sensor & Gear.jpg
    Speed Sensor & Gear.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Speedometer Gear.jpg
    Speedometer Gear.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 106
General answer is no. The gear portion will not fit your m/t since there is a difference in the lengths of the gear and shaft between a/t and m/t.

Here are pictures I took when I swapped from a/t to m/t. You can see the black sensor body is the same, but the gear and shaft lengths are different. The dirtier brown gear with longer shaft is from the a/t.

Yeah kinda had a feeling, thanks man , only reason why I asked is because they looked so similar

How about from m/t Gsx to m/t gst?

Last edited:
Just wanted to add something to this since there are a lot of misleading informations regarding about the N/A & turbo. The N/A 420a automatic transmissions have 2 speed sensors (input & output) I do not know if that is also the same with the 5-speed 420a. The turbo 4g63 and 4g64 non-turbo have only 1, the difference between the A/T and M/T has already been stated by flash. I welcome any corrections if there are any errors on my statements.

As for the removal and installation, this is a PITA. I do not know if there's any easy way to remove the speed sensor without taking out the bracket connecting to the transmission mount.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back