The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Source for viscous drive and center diff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMopar

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2007
Vista, California
I need a new viscous drive and center diff, anyone know of any good sources for these and how much?

You need to make sure you get the right one so you need to pull it off and count the spline count.

You'll get raped at the dealer. You can try shep or ? i forgot the name but shep racing does good work.

You can try the classifieds or check local junkyards there is one awd here but shipping it would be pita.

Also your center diff may be still availible for the recall on them check with a dealer if they say it already was done tell them bs under federal law and (whatever its called government branch) recall they have to service it for life i know the legal mumbo-jumbo is on here but for the love of god cant find it.

I believe, in both of your posts, you're confusing the transfer case with the centre diff.

There is no recall for the centre diff.

You don't need to worry about "spline count" for the centre diff.

DSMopar: If you end up replacing the centre diff, '90s are different from the rest. You have a '91, so you don't want a centre diff from a '90.

I need a new viscous drive and center diff, anyone know of any good sources for these and how much?
Depends. What exactly are you looking for? A stock replacement, a 4-spider, or a welded?

Because if your core is useable, then you could send it in to TRE for an upgrade. And I know Jon has a bunch of VC's laying around.

thanks for the posts guys, i'm just looking for the stock 2 spider (unless I find a steal on a 4). Mine isn't totally grenaded, it was towed by the front wheels so just the side gears ate into the thrust washers and into the case hlfs a little. I might be able to get away with just replacing the side gears. I found TRE stocks couplers for $79, still need a source for diff parts though.

I have a bunch of early center diffs. If you can let me know which gear it has by the pics on my website here:

Gear set identification

I need to know if your center diff lower housing is the one on the left or right. If it is the one on the right I can sell you the diff housing for $75 and a new spider gear kit for $165. Spider gear side shims are $2.50 each.

Jack

Thanks Jack, it's the diff without the ring machined in the gear... You don't have any budget used spiders do you :D? I'm looking to do this cheap:p Really the side gears are the only things that really got trashed... you don't have spares of those?

I have a bunch of the larger gears for the centers ($30 a pair), but the small spider gears I have no used ones available.

Jack

ok, what kinda deal for the undesirable case and the side gears? :D And do you have any viscous couplers? PM me:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back