The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Should I get this car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder5

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 8, 2002
GC, Illinois
I found a 1g eclipse turbo, fwd auto with 120K on a 6bolt motor that the lot is willing to trade for my 94 eagle talon n/t 5spd with 160K on it. Here's the catch, my car runs, the turbo eclipse doesn't. It has body damage, a flat tire, the interior smells a little like mold and the car won't start. It turns over, the battery is weak though, and I smell fuel so it's getting some fuel to the motor, just flooding out. I think it's electrical, but still, should I trade my running car for a turbo auto that doesn't start?

I'm not actually going to buy the car, I'm trading straight up a running N/T for a Turbo with less miles that won't start. Turns over but just won't fire up.

So you're trading your car that's running for a non-running car? Is your current car your daily driver? In my opinion I would stick with my car but if you think that you'll be able to get the car that you want running immediately after the trade then I guess that's cool..my .02 :nono:

Grinder5 said:
I'm not actually going to buy the car, I'm trading straight up a running N/T for a Turbo with less miles that won't start. Turns over but just won't fire up.
Even still, trade or buy. What 1993Gs says still applies in my opinion. This car sounds like it has the potential to be a mess, it already seems to have some issues and you havent even gotten to drive it yet.

Sage advice from my father i find to ring true over and over as i get older is "there's always a better deal" I've purchased an excellent running laser with a bad tranny for 500 in the past, never gave me any problems after swapping the tranny... and the Talon i currently own in my vehicle profile i picked up for 1500, and it is in pretty darn good shape. Deals will come, you just gotta find the right one.

Diagnose exactly why the car won't start, if you can find out whats wrong and its not going to cost you a ton. If itd been sitting for a while so it will probally need a lot of maintanence. Your also going to get some stock in Febreeze. I would only do it if you cna figure out what is exactly wrong with it and you have the extra money to fix it (as long as fixing it isn't costing you a bundle) and do the maintenance.

Borncrazy said:
DO NOT BUY THE ECLIPSE!!!!! I own an eclipse and its horrible. Ive replaced the tranny and engine and now i have to replace the cylinder head. Trust me its not worth the time and money.
Somebody should really make this a sticky so the other 52,355 members of this site can be made aware of the horrible mistake we've all made. WTF

Grinder5 said:

so why do you think this guy wants to trade you. If it is just a little problem I'm sure that the guy would fix it and keep the car but instead he wants to trade you for a car with more miles and is a n/t. Something doesn't sound right there

what year is it, (purely curiosity) cuz i found my 1990 eagle talon tsi AWD with 90868 miles on it, and it was running/still is,... for 2200...... these cars are the greatest deals ever... as long as you can keep yourself from buying parts for it....i think that because they are sooo fast in stock form,... they just make you want to make them faster.... or maybe its people like shep running 8.43s at 170 mph.....id have to say that made me consider the fp 3575 for a LONG time...LOL

dont get THIS eclipse, but find a different eclipse that is running and get that... or a talon, or a laser....

I've decided against it. Went out to look at it again when I had more time and it truly is a mess. Don't have the money right now but am thinking of getting away from dsms all together. Always wanted a musclecar, and since I'm getting my Autobody degree I'll be better able to do at least a partial resto. on one. Thanks for the help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back