The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

should i get this car fixed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_jul

Probationary Member
Oct 19, 2003
PennsylvaniaUS
I had this car since 2003. A awd 1998 GSX. Had problems with it from the start. It seems like I'm always fixing it. Just had the engine rebuilt. Power steering replaced. All within the last year. Now my tranny has went and I was quote around 2 thousand to fix.
My question is when do you just give up. And is it even worth fixing. If I don't fix can I sell the car as is and for parts. I put so much money into I want something back. I'm at the end of my rope. All comments are welcomed. I want to see both sides of the picture.

Call up Shep, you won't have a tranny problem for a long while then... 2k is a lot, why not do the work yourself? You'll save boatloads.

1g_tsi_awd I wish I had the time and a little tranny knowledge to do it myself. And Shep. Who is he? Is he a tranny expert. I haven't been on here for a while because I put the in storage when this started happening this past winter. I'll take any help.

1g_tsi_awd I wish I had the time and a little tranny knowledge to do it myself. And Shep. Who is he? Is he a tranny expert. I haven't been on here for a while because I put the in storage when this started happening this past winter. I'll take any help.

Shep = DSM GOD

Man it just depends if you really like the car or not. If you like it alot get it running or buy a beat up daily driver and just take your time workin on your car thats what im doing right now. but its up to you and there is probably alot of people that will take the car off your hands for some change ### its awd.

I meant, have Shep build your tranny... Then you drop it in. Just read up on it, you've had a DSM for almost 5 years, it is time you learn.

ok i looked at this shepard racing. I like the pricing. But taking out the tranny and putting it back in is another story. never attempted that before. how hard.
as far as taking my car off my hands for some $$$. I would do that also and just go and start again with a different car.
right now I have a 2007 subaru legacy gt right now. that i want to upgrade. but all my money was going into this car. my eclipse was all my toy. should i just put it up in the sales part and see what hits. i have some basic mods on it. they can have it all.
but i'm still in the deciding mode. i'm just asking myself is it worth it.

If you have a DD, you can learn how to put the tranny in and take your time while doing so. Don't sell it! It will be rewarding knowing you can take out and put in a transmission in your car. And, there aere plenty of people on here that will help you via the forum or if someone's close to you, odds are they'll work for a case of beer... Hahaha. Gotta love the DSM community. :thumb:

maybe it is time for me to learn. but how long does it take. and is it easy to mess something up. i will read up on it. but let me hear your answer.

hell i'll buy a keg and more if they could help. i live in pittsburgh. does anyone know anyone that lives close to pittsburgh that can lend a hand.

The only way you will mess up is if you forget to put something back together... Just go slowly and do it right the first time so there is no second time! And if you have a question, post it up on here.

You dont have any friends that are mechanics or gear heads that can help you pull the tranny and teach you as you go? Thats how ive learned everything i know. And as for 2000 for a new tranny you can get sheps stage 1 for 1000ish and its better than stock and wont break anytime soon as long as you dont mod the car all crazy like :thumb:

it's not like i'm scared to try. i'm not. but i just don't have the time. i just had a baby and the mother works at night and i work during the day. i look for help and offers to buy the car. and weigh my options. what ever i'm going to do i will do it soon. but if i start working on it i will gladly ask for everyone advice. and continuing post what i'm going to do in this thread. everyone who still wants to chime in do it. i still contemplating about what i'm going to do. and anyone from around pittsburgh please leave a comment. i'm willing to meet anyone in the surrounding area to talk about this.

usMarine20M, i just started calling around to see if anyone could help. found several people who have done it on other cars and might be willing to give it a shot.

oh yeah .. i forgot to add it's an automatic not a manual. don't everyone go nuts at once.
I would have got a manual but I it was hard finding an awd turbo. i took the first one that i could find. and i know shep doesn't do auto's.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back