The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Should I Get This Car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todaguy

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 1, 2002
Portland
There is a 92 or 93 talon tsi at my school. The chick that drives it doesnt know anything about cars and she said she is going to sell it. She also said she was going to sell it for somthing like 2400 dollars. She said it has a little over 100,000 miles and that the tbelt and the exhaust(factory spec)was just replaced. My question is, how relialbe is this car going to be with over 100k. What things should i look for to unsure the car is not going to break down the day i buy it. I just got a 92 laser n/t about 4 months ago and it only has 70k on the moter and i know everything about the car does it was a fam. friend that owned it. And another quick question. Is there any high school kid out there right know that has insurence on a tsi, if so how much a month do you pay i know its gonna be over 200 for me, but i want a fast car. Thanks::laser: :confused: :talon:

Check belts, plugs, wires, hoses, look for any oil/fluid leaks, just drive it. Also, make sure clutch aint slipping and no grinding gears. Try to talk her down to about 2g, is the exterior and interior in good shape?

I think it's a lot of luck on what you get. My eclipse has 105,000 miles on it, and in the year that I've owned it I've had to do the following:

1. One of my Cam Gears broke and some how took out the timing belt. Had to replace the entire engine ($2,500) One month after I got it.

2. Replacement engine developed knock had to replace engine ($2500)

3. Clutch and clutch master/slave went out ($200)

4. Head blew, had to replace head ($1000)

So thats over $6,000 in about a year.

I've had bad luck, but I've had a friend who has over 200,000 on his and it still runs great. It all depends on the previous owner, matience, and how hard you drive the car. I drive mine 90 mph every day so go figure. But I still wouldn't trade my baby in for anything.

$2000 = Good Deal, if the car is in good shape.

Oh, and insurance, Geico was the cheapest company I found for me when I was in the 18-21 year old bracket and it was about $181.00 / month.

Well fore what kind of shape its in, It has just been painted and the int. looks as good as mine nad mine looks like its right outa the factory. She didnt ever redline it at all and im sure she didnt drive it to hard. She is not into racing and stuff, just got lucky with her dad and got a cool car to get her around. So you saying that i could get the price down to 2000? I might have to wait awile or just pay high ensurence till im 18... wich is in 10 months.

and i plan on mabe taking it to the track mabe 5 or 6 times in the summer. Other then that i wouldnt be able to aford a speding ticket.

you will probably have to replace the turbo pretty soon if you start driving it hard. Since she does not know anything about her car she probably just kills the motor after she parks, without letting it chill for a few minutes.

As for insurance, I'm 17 and i pay about 170 a month with a 100% clean driving record and i've had my licence for about a year and a half...That's also with USAA insurance

You cannot compare insurance rates unless:
-you live in the same house in the same town in the same state
-you share birthdays (exactly)
-you are the same gender
-you have identical driving records
-you drive a car with an identical VIN
-you have the exact same commute

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back