The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G shift points on a 98 gst

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaMont Randell

Proven Member
Mar 7, 2015
Bowling Green, Kentucky
I'm new to having a turbo car. I was trying to figure out what the shift points would be. Do I shift right before red line and is this OK to do in first gear as well?

Because the airflow sensor is in front of the MAF. So when the BOV vents air, it's making the car go rich because it's losing air that it has already measured. Unless you run speed density or the MAF is behind the BOV, it needs to be recirculated (unless you get into things like Idle Air clamp with link)

Oh ok
Because the airflow sensor is in front of the MAF. So when the BOV vents air, it's making the car go rich because it's losing air that it has already measured. Unless you run speed density or the MAF is behind the BOV, it needs to be recirculated (unless you get into things like Idle Air clamp with link)
oh ok well that makes sense. Well my AEM guage is reading just idling 15.3 to 15 sometimes to 14.9 constantly moving. When driving especially spirited driving its all over the place from 13 to 15. I've even seen as low as 10 and as high as 16.9. So out of the idle air clamp or speed density which one is easier to do. I've never heard of them LOL

I shift into second as close to 30mph as possible then hit third around 60mph I barley ever hit 4th while racing by then you should know who's going to win.. 35-40mph in second gear while brake boosting is my preferred roll start.
To be honest I haven't thought to brake boost. I'll try this next time thanks mate.

I also drop my tire pressure to 30psi when I know I'm about to race it also stopped my wheel hop idk if it will yours or if your getting any tho..
Yea I have wheel hop and burning out in first. Hm I might have to try that. How much are you boosting?

Oh ok
oh ok well that makes sense. Well my AEM guage is reading just idling 15.3 to 15 sometimes to 14.9 constantly moving. When driving especially spirited driving its all over the place from 13 to 15. I've even seen as low as 10 and as high as 16.9. So out of the idle air clamp or speed density which one is easier to do. I've never heard of them LOL

Is this on a wideband? Or is it a cheaply $50 narrow band gauge?

Find a gsx to eliminate wheel spin issues :)
I was thinking about that, but I love my spyder so I was thinking of converting it with gsx parts. I think it should bolt right up. Maybe a tweak here or there. I'm not too sure haha

15psi on small 16g now was hitting17psi on 14b.. Sticky tires will make the biggest difference.
Ah I see. Do you like the 16g better? Im still working with the t25. I can probably just bolt a 16g right up without having to tune right? I don't have a DSM link yet.

Ah I see. Do you like the 16g better? Im still working with the t25. I can probably just bolt a 16g right up without having to tune right? I don't have a DSM link yet.
What mods do you have currently? The stock system can supply enough fuel for 16psi without a problem. Keep an eye on your wideband it shouldn't go leaner the about 11.4 or so. So long as it stays richer than that it shouldn't be a problem. Do you have a boost gauge and a manual boost controller?

Is this on a wideband? Or is it a cheaply $50 narrow band gauge?
What mods do you have currently? The stock system can supply enough fuel for 16psi without a problem. Keep an eye on your wideband it shouldn't go leaner the about 11.4 or so. So long as it stays richer than that it shouldn't be a problem. Do you have a boost gauge and a manual boost controller?
My mods consist of 560 injectors, 255 walbro fuel pump, 3" full exhaust, port polished top end, I think evo 8 beehive springs and valves haven't checked, ingen intake, boost guage, aem wideband, oil pressure gauge, greddy blow off valve, front mount intercooler, felpro gaskets, boost controller, and tubular headers. I think that about sums it up. I've seen it hit 11 before not sure how many times. Mostly stays around 15.3- 14.3 depends really. Even bounces to 12 and 13.

My mods consist of 560 injectors, 255 walbro fuel pump, 3" full exhaust, port polished top end, I think evo 8 beehive springs and valves haven't checked, ingen intake, boost guage, aem wideband, oil pressure gauge, greddy blow off valve, front mount intercooler, felpro gaskets, boost controller, and tubular headers. I think that about sums it up. I've seen it hit 11 before not sure how many times. Mostly stays around 15.3- 14.3 depends really. Even bounces to 12 and 13.
Sorry I meant @ WOT. At cruise or idle should toggle on either side of 14.7. If not you have one of three things wrong. A exhaust leak, a boost leak, or a tuning problem. My money is on a boost or exhaust leak causing a semi-lean condition. Building BLT tool:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Using it properly and some good tips:
Check out his chanel for a bunch of awesome and helpful vids. He'll even include torque specs for bolts.:sneaky:

Sorry I meant @ WOT. At cruise or idle should toggle on either side of 14.7. If not you have one of three things wrong. A exhaust leak, a boost leak, or a tuning problem. My money is on a boost or exhaust leak causing a semi-lean condition. Building BLT tool:
Using it properly and some good tips:
Check out his chanel for a bunch of awesome and helpful vids. He'll even include torque specs for bolts.:sneaky:
While idling it bounces from 14.8 to 15.3. I'll have to build a BLT and check. Thanks for the kids BTW. Oh one question, what can happen if I don't fix the problem?

14.8-15.3 is only slightly lean for idle. I'm sure it would be fine but boost leaks will cause all sorts of stupid problems. Better just to fix it because there is probably some other side effects attached to it. Just do it when you can make time for it. Your engine is not going to explode but it's still not running 100%. It's like if you were to have a runny nose, its a little thing but you still wouldn't like it. Same with the car, it will irritate it and cause funny little problems.

14.8-15.3 is only slightly lean for idle. I'm sure it would be fine but boost leaks will cause all sorts of stupid problems. Better just to fix it because there is probably some other side effects attached to it. Just do it when you can make time for it. Your engine is not going to explode but it's still not running 100%. It's like if you were to have a runny nose, its a little thing but you still wouldn't like it. Same with the car, it will irritate it and cause funny little problems.
Ah I see. Yea I'll definitely check into that. I figured something was up since my readings bounced all over the place. Thanks mate.

Well I was installing a manuel boost controller from ebay and I broke the little piece that you place the hose on. It's located on the turbo actuator. Im boosting so high now i'm actually afraid to get on it. It reaches 25 pounds and levels to 20 psi. Now when I get off the gas it hits super lean where there are no numbers on my wideband. I'm guessing it's because of the missing hose connecting to the turbo actuator. what should I do. Do I have to buy a whole new turbo actuator or turbo system? Any tips or thoughts?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back