The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Semi-custom 16g manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsmj89

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 11, 2008
Miami, Florida
Well i was looking up manifolds on several sites and all them seem to be quite on the high side, so i had a thought about buying an ebay mani and having it slapped on with my 16g.
I had in mind purchasing one of these t3/t4 style manifolds :

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and having the t3/t4 flange taken off and a dsm flange welded on by the shop:

Great thing i see about this is that not only is it much cheaper than buying a dnp piece but it also is already flanged and ready for an external.
Does anyone think it'll make a noticeable difference compared to my stock mani ?

Last edited:
I was thinking of that manifold but it's kind of pricey compared to the ebay mani i found and adapter alltogether and i got the hookups at the shop for welding.
I'm undecided but the above manifold was an idea and i'd like to see some more opinions on this.

Why not just go with and FP race manifold? Just get that mani and be done with it. There is no welding nessasary and it flows just as good as a tubular mani. Also the fp mani holds the heat better so your turbo could spool faster as a result, and with the added heat you won't have to worry about the mani cracking. I bet if you were to call them they would cut you a bit of a break.

i understand about money guy cause i have the same problem...LOL dont we all tho...and i have that same manifold on my car only it wasn't externally gated and i had a shop at the tech school were i go put a 1 1/2 inch hole in it and the welding shop tig welded everything together. its great to so i am sure everyone that has posted so far has not ever even had one of these on there cars there just going by hear say...i have one and for the money i couldnt pass it up i payed 75 for it and a 38mm easte gate. also they put a t4 flange on it.

Last edited:
Blah i tend to think things sometimes too much. I think i will just stick to my sbr cast mani.
Thanks guys and sorry for the bother.

I would recommend a cast like the FP race manifold if the cost is not an issue. If you buy something like this, make sure that you replace the OEM DP clamp to minimize the loads on the manifold. I have built one out the te OEM clamp that I cut/shaped/grind.. and an SS exhaust clamp ( those like a U-bolt) and it workes great.

here is it mounted

Attachments

• Picture 038b.jpg
    Picture 038b.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 612
  • Picture 051b.jpg
    Picture 051b.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 611
:thumb: Above
Almost every dsm with an aftermarket downpipe probably still doesn't have this piece in place(mine included:rolleyes:)
But yes,it does serve some type of purpose and should be more beneficial to tubular manifolds to relieve some of the stress

I would recommend a cast like the FP race manifold if the cost is not an issue. If you buy something like this, make sure that you replace the OEM DP clamp to minimize the loads on the manifold. I have built one out the te OEM clamp that I cut/shaped/grind.. and an SS exhaust clamp ( those like a U-bolt) and it workes great.

here is it mounted

I like what you did there. Thumb to that :thumb:.

You're going to have much better luck sticking with your SBR cast mani than going to a junk ebay tubular. Almost every tubular mani that I've seen, aside from the DNP, cracks because of cheap/thin SS.

There are several reasons why the Chinese-made eBay manifolds are so inexpensive.

1) They use recycled stainless steel, which is closer to 319 than 304.

2) They use really thin tubes. Easier to bend, easier to weld. Easier to break.

3) They are actually MIG welded with a TIG pass just to make the weld look good.

While it is true that not every eBay manifold has catastrophically failed, based on experience I would expect less than 1000 cycles on any manifold before it is no longer usable.

I have had no problems with my FP manifold. Not that I would expect any. They're burly, well made, and not too expensive. I anticipate using this same manifold on every 4G63 I ever own. And I mean THIS manifold.

I don't think theres many tubular manifolds that stand up the the heat our engines produce period. (talking about years here) So no way in hell would I buy one from E-###.

I know it's not the wisest choice, and i posted this to get opinions and feedback, but nonetheless this idea has been trashed and therefore i am now sticking with my brand new sbr cast mani. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back