The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

seam sealer chipping off

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipse012

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2008
canada, AB_Canada
So I have an issue with my some of the factory seam sealed area's that are in my rear hatch drip rails. Parts of the seam sealer from the factory has broken and fallen off which is now leaving bare metal exposure in not such great places. Wondering if anyone has done this work before or is a body shop tech that can chime in to tell me how I should go about fixing this. I notice that Mitsubishi never clear coated the rear hatch drip rails or the engine bay area.
I attached a pic of the rear hatch seam sealed area.

Attachments

• IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 101
Sorry I Should have been more clear on my first post. When I prep the surface for new seam sealer do I have to remove all the old and put on the new and then re-paint? I have to paint a couple new door handles so I will have paint, I just don't have a clue on what prep needs to be done for seem sealer to make sure its water tight and done correctly

You would want to take a putty knife and strip off the old sealer wherever its pulling away and then wipe it down with a new rag with paint thinner,and then lay down your new seam sealer, then paint and clear it.

+1 on removing all the old sealer, I mean technically you could just lay the new sealer down on the section that's missing, but know that it's just a matter of time before the rest of the old sealer starts failing on you too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back